The Culture is Real

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think we need dancing bears. And Tweet Day. And free lattes. And a dating app.

Tech’s “product” appeals to a certain segment. Younger fans will buy tickets via StubHub and avoid paying the donation.

Once the older fans are gone, there won’t be younger fans in volume. Just look at the demographics. They aren’t on Tech’s side.
This argument has been brought up on the board multiple times and we’ve always come to the conclusion that the old fans have been saying when we’re are gone it’s over since the 50s. There are way more Tech fans then people realize most are just embarrassed to even be a Tech fan because of the elitist Tech fans that make it seem like we don’t even care about Football just about how smart we are. Also the crowds at fan day every year shows that Tech has a lot of younger fans, if only most Tech fans were welcoming on gameday instead of telling loud fans to sit down.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This argument has been brought up on the board multiple times and we’ve always come to the conclusion that the old fans have been saying when we’re are gone it’s over since the 50s. There are way more Tech fans then people realize most are just embarrassed to even be a Tech fan because of the elitist Tech fans that make it seem like we don’t even care about Football just about how smart we are. Also the crowds at fan day every year shows that Tech has a lot of younger fans, if only most Tech fans were welcoming on gameday instead of telling loud fans to sit down.

Please read my post again. I really don’t think you understand it.

StubHub didn’t exist in the 50s. As you replace STHrs who can make a $2K donation with StubHub who don’t... you’ll lose the donation.

At the end of the day, if what you say is accurate ... that lots of latent demand exists ... we should see it in higher sales, higher merchandising, and other KPI’s.

Look at any program. Same donors for 40 years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Culture is so much more than winning and losing. Those of you who haven’t played sports at a high level wouldn’t understand. That’s not a shot at any of you, it’s just the truth. Just like an engineer probably doesn’t know a whole lot about business deals, and a businessman probably has no idea how an engineering project works.

Even businesses have culture, where there are no “wins and losses” so to speak. Business culture is things like dress code, how your boss interacts with you, how lenient the boss is, etc. Culture in the locker room is similar. What’s expected on and off the field, how the S&C program is run, how punishments are handled, how coaches interact with players, energy at practice, team bonding, and plenty more like how media appearances are handled. Alabama’s culture differs from Clemson’s. That doesn’t mean either one is right or wrong, it’s just how that program is run. CGC appears to be trying to build a culture like PJ Fleck has done at CMU and Minnesota, and even Dabo at Clemson to an extent.

It’s hard to explain how important culture is to a team of you’ve never been a part of one before, but I’m sure most of you have been part of businesses. You ever had a job where everyday felt miserable? What about a job that was a joy to get up a go to everyday? What was different from the two? Was it the position itself? Or was it the culture surrounding the business operations? To sum it up in a few words, culture is the “vibes” that a program gives off to the team and media.
First I did play football in high school and was all Bi city ( hard to believe too small for college wasn't 270 like today) . So your telling culture is dress code ? how does this help in football ? I would have to guess if they are in college they know how to dress. I understand the S&C program and I like it. And the part about punishments means what , you don't get on them, you make them run laps , what ? I honest I don't know PJ Fleck explain what he teaches. And Dado is a players coach but know his assistant coaches they are hard a*s.
And yes I had a job I was the VP of a construction company, was it fun , no I was at work a 5 am till 7 pm I retired at 63 because I was burned out .

I not being a smartas* this time I really would to like CGC and just point blank want to know what culture he is teaching .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The culture thing he refers to is every thing u dont see.

Its film study habits
Dedication to the team
Study halls
Being a good teammate
Being a student
How you practice properly
How you lead. How to lead the way he wants
Personal accountability
What effort means and how to give it
How to sacrifice yourself for your assignment so your teammate can make a play
How you work out
How you study the playbook
How you dress
How you cheer
How you prep for road trips
How you do hotel checks
How you do walk throughs
How you do pre game meals
How you execute gameday week schedules with maximum efficiency and effort

Its a program foundation.

What its not. Is tweeting. The 404. The fun advertising stuff. Thats collins having fun. The culture is whats above

And what he means is executing and buyin in to his culture

And he has a detailed playbook for all those. Down to timed meals and how many breathes you can take

To add. He wants all those thing does his way. With positivity. And great teammate support and truthfulness. No egos
Ok this I can buy. Thanks

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Please read my post again. I really don’t think you understand it.

StubHub didn’t exist in the 50s. As you replace STHrs who can make a $2K donation with StubHub who don’t... you’ll lose the donation.

At the end of the day, if what you say is accurate ... that lots of latent demand exists ... we should see it in higher sales, higher merchandising, and other KPI’s.

Look at any program. Same donors for 40 years.
How do you expect the younger fan base to dominate the crowd on game day, most people in their lower 20s aren’t financially comfortable enough to buy season tickets. That’s the case for every program, you ever been to a UGA game, looks like a class reunion from the 1970s.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How do you expect the younger fan base to dominate the crowd on game day, most people in their lower 20s aren’t financially comfortable enough to buy season tickets. That’s the case for every program, you ever been to a UGA game, looks like a class reunion from the 1970s.

I bought season tickets my first year after graduation. That was 38 years ago.

I know almost no young alumni who plan to buy tix when they can watch at Hudson’s or stream it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
First I did play football in high school and was all Bi city ( hard to believe too small for college wasn't 270 like today) . So your telling culture is dress code ? how does this help in football ? I would have to guess if they are in college they know how to dress. I understand the S&C program and I like it. And the part about punishments means what , you don't get on them, you make them run laps , what ? I honest I don't know PJ Fleck explain what he teaches. And Dado is a players coach but know his assistant coaches they are hard a*s.
And yes I had a job I was the VP of a construction company, was it fun , no I was at work a 5 am till 7 pm I retired at 63 because I was burned out .

I not being a smartas* this time I really would to like CGC and just point blank want to know what culture he is teaching .
Okay well you just completely missed every point I made by focusing on individual bullet points instead of whole picture. But whatever man. Enjoy being miserable

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan

I know almost no young alumni who plan to buy tix when they can watch at Hudson’s or stream it.
Yes but Cokes were still a nickel a can back then lol :LOL:.

That's great though. We need more buy in like yourself!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Okay well you just completely missed every point I made by focusing on individual bullet points instead of whole picture. But whatever man. Enjoy being miserable
First you didn't do as good of a job a 33jacket go back and read his he explain it better, and as for being miserable only when my wife cooks other then that I enjoy my time do what I want when I want and not worried about money.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Dial back the personal insults dude. I was at the game on Saturday. For what it is worth, the older crowd was there on Saturday. The younger crowd was not.
And so we’re a crap load of people in red and black
404 takeover became BDS/HGF takeover.
For them
been to a number of Tech-Ga games at Tech and can’t remember seeing the stands that one sided from the West stands. There did appear to be more Tech fans on our side but the upper North and East stands looked like they were awash in red

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
And so we’re a crap load of people in red and black
404 takeover became BDS/HGF takeover.
For them
been to a number of Tech-Ga games at Tech and can’t remember seeing the stands that one sided from the West stands. There did appear to be more Tech fans on our side but the upper North and East stands looked like they were awash in red
I agree. It's a problem. I proposed a short term fix to it earlier for the UGA game (in the Attendance thread, not sure how to link to it). But the problem isn't older fans--it's quite the opposite.

I assume this is Pretty ignorant reasoning but do you seriously feel that 50-60 year olds have a better grasp on College Football because they’ve been around longer? College Football has changed more in the last 5 seasons then it has it the previous 20 before that and Tech was in danger of getting left behind because of terrible recruiting and lack of fan support, one of those has been addressed but the ladder is the same as always. I wish the older rich alumni would put their money where their mouth is sometimes and Tech could really take it to the next level.
I am not wealthy, so I can only give within my means, but I can assure you, in a manner of speaking, I HAVE put my money where my mouth is for the past 52 years. Yes, I started giving immediately after I got out. Have you?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

My daughter (alum), her husband (alum) and about 20 of their fraternity brothers and sorority sisters all have season tix. I tailgate with them, cause y'all old farts are way too boring.

Plus, they give me free bourbon in exchange for tales of the old days.

I have NEVER told a loud Tech fan to sit down, nor have I (and yes, I am a loud Tech fan....always have been) any other Tech fans told me to sit down.