The Culture is Real

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It reminded me of the Bey-Bey touchdown on the fake FG where CPJ left the offense on the field til the last minute and then got Bey-Bey alone along the sideline in the confusion of swapping the field goal unit the last second.

I was also reminded of that. I think doing that has been outlawed, I would not be surprised of a "rule clarification" on the Auburn play too.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is totally spot on. 2014 was the best year of football I have ever been a part of. But it was totally team driven. All the seniors that left gutted the team. But honestly you could have won 10 games with a few 4th graders coaching with that roster. It was unstoppable.

You could have run a pro style, 1 back UGA offense with that team and gotten to the orange bowl

Its nice to have some backup on here lol

Jmonty71

Banned
I was also reminded of that. I think doing that has been outlawed, I would not be surprised of a "rule clarification" on the Auburn play too.
So, Bama loses and the NCAA has to modify a rule? Saban has done things like this to other coaches for years. I call is a taste of his own medicine. Only wished it was us, that did that against them. :)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
A lot of guys are still pissed we never got rings from the Gator bowl in 2016. 16 was not a fun year despite being a darn good team.
Bikeseat, thanks for posting. I'm pretty sure Mike Bobinski was the AD at the time of the Gator Bowl. Sounds to me that either people were being lazy about pursuing the purchase of rings, didn't give a hoot, or we couldn't afford them. Sometimes you just have to raise hell about certain issues. I have no idea who you are, but maybe the former team captain(s) should approach Todd Stansbury about this issue. Its little things like rings that pay off in the future. I think your team deserves them.
Edit: The more I think about it, why in the heck didn't that team get rings. Was no one thinking about showing recruits some of the team's successes. Someone was asleep at the wheel big time.

Last edited:

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Something the military has known for a long time. When you got the troops running the show it always works a lot better. Yes, leadership provides direction and oversight but when every last man buys in you got a winner.

I know it's far from the same, but one of my favorite memories from my days as a high school girls VB coach.

We went into the gym to play our big rivals and the reigning region champs. About mid way through the opening game of the match, the score was still tight. They were not killing the third shot, but had decided to roll their third shot right over my blockers heads into the gap right behind them. After they scored a few points that way, my captains looked over at me right before I called a TO and said "we need to back off the net and stop trying to block if they aren't going to hit it." I just smiled and nodded. Blockers continued to play the net but then would drop 2-3 steps off right before their set. It was a strategy we had done several times over my years when a team decided they couldn't finish points at the net. If they don't want to swing, we'll take the easy pass over and let one of our hitters finish.

There's something extremely satisfying as coach in seeing your team recognize what's going on and take that leadership role on the field/court and make the necessary adjustments while you get to sit and watch.

Bikeseat, thanks for posting. I'm pretty sure Mike Bobinski was the AD at the time of the Gator Bowl. Sounds to me that either people were being lazy about pursuing the purchase of rings, didn't give a hoot, or we couldn't afford them. Sometimes you just have to raise hell about certain issues. I have no idea who you are, but maybe the former team captain(s) should approach Todd Stansbury about this issue. Its little things like rings that pay off in the future. I think your team deserves them.
Edit: The more I think about it, why in the heck didn't that team get rings. Was no one thinking about showing recruits some of the team's successes. Someone was asleep at the wheel big time.
I ask again, don't the bowl people distribute rings, along with other swag, for the teams? I don't see why Tech should have to purchase them, but knowing MBob, if we did have to, I have no doubts that he's responsible for screwing it up.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
You would be surprised. A lot of guys are still pissed we never got rings from the Gator bowl in 2016. 16 was not a fun year despite being a darn good team. To me that was the beginning of the end of the PJ staff

2014 was a fun year of course but 2015 was also a good one despite sucking ***.
No matter what, you were still a part of 2 victories over the Dwags. Can't anyone take that away. Lots of players can't say the same...been buying season tickets since 1965.

Last edited:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would doing that be outlawed?

I think it has something to do with "simulating a substitution" or similar. Like you can't have two guys run off and 1 guy run on, but one of the 2 running off stands next to the sideline and never leaves. I can't recall the exact rule, but Clemson pulled the exact same play later in the season and then it got banned.

The funny part about that play is you can watch the Clemson DB watching BeyBey run off, stare at him, and then promptly ignore him.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I ask again, don't the bowl people distribute rings, along with other swag, for the teams? I don't see why Tech should have to purchase them, but knowing MBob, if we did have to, I have no doubts that he's responsible for screwing it up.

It was actually Stansbury at the time. He started in Sep 2016

I think it has something to do with "simulating a substitution" or similar. Like you can't have two guys run off and 1 guy run on, but one of the 2 running off stands next to the sideline and never leaves. I can't recall the exact rule, but Clemson pulled the exact same play later in the season and then it got banned.

The funny part about that play is you can watch the Clemson DB watching BeyBey run off, stare at him, and then promptly ignore him.
Stupid ban. Deception should be part of the game.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
I get culture and I am all for it. Is it about having fun or winning games? Is is about winning games or putting guys in the league? Embrace the suck has to happen at times. Players can keep having all the fun they want, but what was produced this year was not fun to watch. Hopefully CGC can coach up a little, while the players are having fun.

Culture is only good if you are winning. Why are some of us older Tech fans complaining:
1. We started off as a joke when we had the team out lifting weights on the field before the Clemson game.....then get our butts whipped.
2. Money Down, dancing when you are losing a game.
3. You lose to the Citadel because you choose not to prepare for CPJ offense, and that offense with their no star players kick your butt.
5. You can't transition into an offense, utilizing some of the CPJ scheme because you think it scares off recruits....3-9 a few years will scare off recruits.
6. Temple is an elite defense.....really...
7. Tobias Oliver is an elite player.......but you don't use him in Wildcat or run reverses or Jets.
8. I heard this, that CGC got down and did push ups after we recovered that on sides kick Saturday.....Never saw CPJ, Saban, or the Bear do that. Be a coach.
9. This is the biggest Transition in college football in 40 years.....um no...you took a 7 win team and turned it into a 3 win team. And don't compare 2015, we had numerous injuries and we blew out our weak competition and beat a top 10 team. That Miami win looks really weak now.
10. We just don't understand and change needed to be made......no we are the age of fans that buys all the season tickets and makes the donations. We have also seen more college football than most.

We are Tech fans but I hope this staff does not repeat next year doing what they did this year. They need to grow up and be coaches.....not players best friends.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
Culture is only good if you are winning. ...

I guess some people just don't get CGC's culture. I honestly feel sorry for you because it's way more fun being a fan when you're bought in to it. But you do you.

I would argue culture is more important when you're losing. It's easy to buy in when you're winning. I think it speaks to CGC's culture that the team kept fighting this year. That's the core of his culture -- competition, perseverance in the face of adversity, continuous improvement, and effort. Sure he's a big talker, but you're just gonna have to learn to live with that. The core of his culture is sound, the players are bought in, and the foundation is set for our team to improve from here. Onward and upward.