The Citadel Postgame

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
All I know is Citadel could run for 3 yards whenever they had to have it, and we couldn’t push them back on 4th and 1.

Can’t beat anyone if your lines are getting beat. Ours were, on both sides of the ball.

I am just really surprised that a team at Citadel’s level had better lines than us.
Kind of makes you wonder how competent your associate head coach/o-line coach is. You know the same one who said recruiting at Tech is easier than at Bama. You know the same one who negatively recruited Tech when he wasn't here.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
On a positive note, at least they reverted back to saying third downs as third downs... Ok, later on in the game they mixed in third and money down but at least it wasn't every single time. $10 that they're reading the forums.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
On a positive note, at least they reverted back to saying third downs as third downs... Ok, later on in the game they mixed in third and money down but at least it wasn't every single time. $10 that they're reading the forums.

Didn’t they blow the whistle on the TDs, too? Or am I wrong?

Animal02

Banned
Animal I don't think anyone is happy with the coaching today, but bitching and fighting and preaching doom and gloom isn't helping. It's all on coach to get this right and I believe he will

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
You could have fooled me......there have been several throwing the players under the bus. There is no way this game should have been a loss. The inexperience of the coaching staff was seriously exposed today. This is "big boy football" They should not be getting paid to learn on the job.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree on all. Monken runs the triple option well at Army. Love to have the whining complainers leave this board and go to the Army board instead of bitching about not having a coach that retired.

If only Dodd had not retired and died, we would have won.

Absolutely NOBODY is complaining about no longer having CPJ.

They (we) are complaining about losing to an FCS team which hasn't happened in 36 years.

We may have injury issues on OL but not on D.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Animal I don't think anyone is happy with the coaching today, but bitching and fighting and preaching doom and gloom isn't helping. It's all on coach to get this right and I believe he will

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Again, this is a football forum. Losing to a winless FCS team is about as doom and gloom as it gets, football-wise. Seems perfectly reasonably to me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched Tech ball since 1979. STH since 1982.

I don’t think the coaches, making 700K a year, know what a sacrifice it is for average fans to buy tix, pay A-T, and travel to games.

It sounded good ... pro ball in a pro city. And we can’t beat Milton High School.

It’s truly sad it’s 1980 all over again.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Then what was Collins talking about?
I don’t know for sure but I think he confused it with what the ref said before the Fg. Before the fg he said “ the play started at the ready for play, 7 sec ran off the clock before the timeout clock operator please set the clock to 6 sec and start it in the snap”. He emphasized the word snap and kind of pointed. What ever it was, it was inexcusable that the coach didn’t know the rules. The penalty was with a running clock so it starts back running when the ref signals ready for play.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
You could be right. But I’ve never seen anything like I’m seeing now from Georgia Tech Offensive Football. You’re reaching and hoping a bit imo.

Collins is fine, but the offensive philosophy has to go whether it’s this year or next. Not sure what you’re watching...I’m not expecting the Patriots offense but we should’ve seen a direction or clue as to what in the hell we’re even trying to do. Defenses the rest of the year will stack the box because we’re as creative as vanilla ice cream. And we have Camp out wide who is clearly pissed because we don’t even look at him...once in 3 games. We have no clue what we are even trying to do on offense with our current personnel. That’s a high school task for an OC, it ain’t hard.

Don’t disagree but people on this board are going nuts about using LJ, who is a better passer than Oliver. So if we only use Oliver, it is a run. He is good at running but again, stack the box and shut it down. The “outlet” pass to a tight end is an absolute zero idea, the TE is not good. Saw that in pst 2 games, he is afraid to get hit. So you have a few options w this limited talent pool: (1) have Oliver run it over and over, which is ok but easy to shut down, (2) have Oliver pass it out of the pocket, something he is not made for, (3) put in LJ (or hopefully Graham returns) in to pass, even though LJ is unskilled at the check down, (4) burn Yates redshirt and get pass accuracy and running.

I am not sure exactly what has to happen for next week but butt kicking and changes have to occur (we can only change as much as our talent allows us). I do know that the dumbest idea is to demand that we “fire” coaches after the third game. It sicks losing to Citadel but sometimes it takes a big nut kick to get the coaches to realize what they need to do and to get players on notice.

My only consolation is that my great-grandfather played on scholly at Citadel...before the Great War.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Then what was Collins talking about?

I think a play or two earlier there was a similar situation and the ref said the clock would start on the snap. So ... maybe CGC misheard and the previous announcement reinforced his mis-hearing?

Still, I'm not so sure that this last sequence wasn't as horrible as everyone is making it out to be. Sure, the supposed TD run by TO compounds it, but the safe thing to do is go for the FG, which we hit and made. The aggressive thing to do is to run a play: I actually thought to have a TE run up the seam to draw the safety away and throw a fade to the end zone. But the way snaps were looking, it's certainly possible that the snap could've sailed over TO/LJ's head and we'd end up losing 20 yards with just seconds left and the clock ticking.

I'm very disappointed ... with this board right now ... but maybe that's just human nature.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
So you are happy with the coaching performance today?

Absolutely but I am not whining about the “what if” on other coaches. I realize that this is a long game and will take time to turn the corner. Those that thought a bowl was in the works this year are fools.

Don’t disagree but people on this board are going nuts about using LJ, who is a better passer than Oliver. So if we only use Oliver, it is a run. He is good at running but again, stack the box and shut it down. The “outlet” pass to a tight end is an absolute zero idea, the TE is not good. Saw that in pst 2 games, he is afraid to get hit. So you have a few options w this limited talent pool: (1) have Oliver run it over and over, which is ok but easy to shut down, (2) have Oliver pass it out of the pocket, something he is not made for, (3) put in LJ (or hopefully Graham returns) in to pass, even though LJ is unskilled at the check down, (4) burn Yates redshirt and get pass accuracy and running.

I am not sure exactly what has to happen for next week but butt kicking and changes have to occur (we can only change as much as our talent allows us). I do know that the dumbest idea is to demand that we “fire” coaches after the third game. It sicks losing to Citadel but sometimes it takes a big nut kick to get the coaches to realize what they need to do and to get players on notice.

My only consolation is that my great-grandfather played on scholly at Citadel...before the Great War.
LJ may be a "better passer" than Oliver, but we don't, nor should we pass on every down, and LJ can't run the offense overall; Oliver can. LJ's TD pass was terrible, but the receiver turned just right in order to catch it. For every good play LJ has, he follows it with 2 or 3 bad plays.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Absolutely NOBODY is complaining about no longer having CPJ.

They (we) are complaining about losing to an FCS team which hasn't happened in 36 years.

We may have injury issues on OL but not on D.

Re-read these many pages and come back to me. It is half of the posts and totally useless. We are all pissed about losing and we may be looking at another Bill Lewis...or Bobby Ross. But game three is not the place to confirm that is the case. I am more concerned about the clock management and ridiculously bad penalties, several of which were wrong or aggressive.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I just rewatched the end the ref clearly said “clock operator please set the clock to 13 sec and start it on the ready to play”
I mean that’s the rule. Never does a running clock go from running to stopped because of penalty. The QB has to know that and that falls on the coach for not making sure he knows the rule. The 10 second runoff was created to penalize teams that would intentionally false starts near the end of the game so they could huddle while the head ref announced the penalty.

We took the runoff to save the timeout. I agree with that decision, especially with the sack issues we’ve had. With the play that we called, keeping the timeout also made sense. I think CGC was expecting a snap immediately and either Oliver scores on the option or we call timeout and kick the FG. When he didn’t snap the ball, you have to burn the timeout because if the snap happens at 6 seconds and we don’t score there is a real possibility that time expires and you don’t even get the chance to kick the FG. Still should’ve never come to that.

I mean that’s the rule. Never does a running clock go from running to stopped because of penalty. The QB has to know that and that falls on the coach for not making sure he knows the rule. The 10 second runoff was created to penalize teams that would intentionally false starts near the end of the game so they could huddle while the head ref announced the penalty.

We took the runoff to save the timeout. I agree with that decision, especially with the sack issues we’ve had. With the play that we called, keeping the timeout also made sense. I think CGC was expecting a snap immediately and either Oliver scores on the option or we call timeout and kick the FG. When he didn’t snap the ball, you have to burn the timeout because if the snap happens at 6 seconds and we don’t score there is a real possibility that time expires and you don’t even get the chance to kick the FG. Still should’ve never come to that.
I don't understand any of the LONG snap counts, not just that one. When the clock is running down and we are trying to win the game, line up and snap the damn ball.