The Citadel Postgame

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After cooling of both from the heat today and my disgust of one of the worst games in the past 40 years, Tech has some serious issues. And in no particular order

1. Kicking. Need a 5 star place kicker. Neither we have now are what Collins would call "elite".
2. At halftime I went on record if Oliver and Mason did not play every down Tech would lose. I remain confused on the rotation on offense. I know there are those on the board that have their favorites at QB. And quite frankly Coach Collins, I don't care about the ATL stuff. Rotating QBs is not working. Oliver is clearly the key to offensive productivity as well as Mason. If you are truly committed to playing players ATL, then fine. If you want to win games, play the gamers. Of all the negatives from the game this is where I depart from the rest of the forum. There are kids who are just gamers. May not be the best looking in practice, but when the pressure and the game is on the line, there are just kids that are gamers.
3. Defense. Tech did not set the edge today. Nor was there any disruption of the 3O. Citadel was able to push the d line. I realize Tech is not deep on the d line, but against Citadel?
4. Tech looked like Miami today. And in the way that I hate Miami. Poor sportsmanship. Dancing on the sidelines. I will have to do better with this because that is where Collins is taking the team, but it does not mean I have to like it. Sorry, but dancing around on the sideline while an FCS school is "schooling" you is embarrassing.

Collins does have a beef with officiating at the end of the game. The officials did say the clock starts on the snap.

I was at the two Furman games referenced earlier. But this one seems so much worse. I am not sure what Furmans record was, but Citadel was 0-2 beaten by Elon...

Most troubling is I do not think we have seen improvement in the team since game 1. If there is something any of you think the team or staff has improved on please let us know.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I can't believe that I forgot to add to my initial post a few up, that we killed ourselves with stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
After cooling of both from the heat today and my disgust of one of the worst games in the past 40 years, Tech has some serious issues. And in no particular order

1. Kicking. Need a 5 star place kicker. Neither we have now are what Collins would call "elite".
2. At halftime I went on record if Oliver and Mason did not play every down Tech would lose. I remain confused on the rotation on offense. I know there are those on the board that have their favorites at QB. And quite frankly Coach Collins, I don't care about the ATL stuff. Rotating QBs is not working. Oliver is clearly the key to offensive productivity as well as Mason. If you are truly committed to playing players ATL, then fine. If you want to win games, play the gamers. Of all the negatives from the game this is where I depart from the rest of the forum. There are kids who are just gamers. May not be the best looking in practice, but when the pressure and the game is on the line, there are just kids that are gamers.
3. Defense. Tech did not set the edge today. Nor was there any disruption of the 3O. Citadel was able to push the d line. I realize Tech is not deep on the d line, but against Citadel?
4. Tech looked like Miami today. And in the way that I hate Miami. Poor sportsmanship. Dancing on the sidelines. I will have to do better with this because that is where Collins is taking the team, but it does not mean I have to like it. Sorry, but dancing around on the sideline while an FCS school is "schooling" you is embarrassing.

Collins does have a beef with officiating at the end of the game. The officials did say the clock starts on the snap.

I was at the two Furman games referenced earlier. But this one seems so much worse. I am not sure what Furmans record was, but Citadel was 0-2 beaten by Elon...

Most troubling is I do not think we have seen improvement in the team since game 1. If there is something any of you think the team or staff has improved on please let us know.

Eh, the other team was just as chippy. They should have gotten at least two taunting penalties too, if what we did qualified. It was a chippy game. Not sure why. Didn’t seem these teams liked each other at all.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They lost to that South Florida team because they returned 2-3 kickoffs for touchdowns... Otherwise Tech wins easily. The offense put up 602 yards on South Florida last year. USF was also better last year, but this team can't do jack against Citadel, or South Florida for that matter.

Repeat... the offense put up over 600 yards on South Florida last year. Pretty weak counter-argument.

This is why some people can't be taken seriously. Blaming our O for that loss reflects suggests hating CPJ is more important than supporting GT.

amidoinitrite?

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
todays game
1. oliver could have won the game if they gave him more chances
2. most frustrating - 23 seconds left and you don't even run a play from scrimmage, or was it the personal foul penalties one after another
3. Citadel beat us - we would have been lucky if we somehow won the game
4. Triple option beating you with an FCS team makes you long for Monken - wonder if he would have taken the job if pursued
5. I'm still pulling for the new coach but early observations are a) less fun more discipline needed b) our offensive coordinator is offensive and 3) hope this doesn't kill recruiting

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow

In 1983, Furman was a I-AA power. They made it to the semi finals that year.

Actually, I was wrong about Ross and Furman. Tech tied Furman in that game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I can't see GT winning any more games from what i've seen today and so think GT finishes the 2019 season 1-11:(

@Temple L
North Carolina L
@Duke L
@Miami L
Pitt(HC) L
@Virginia L
Virginia Tech L
NCSU L
UGAG L
Sadly this is true. Right now there is not anybody left on our schedule that we will be favored to beat.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If we hadn't missed the FG we'd still be playin.
hard to ignore crappy offense,defense,kicking and especially coaching.
Need that off week.CGC better figure out what to cchange.
We gained -2, that's minus 2, on the possession and missed the FG.

Maybe if we'd have gained 2 yards, we'd have have a second overtime. Then again the Citadel maybe played it a little bit differently and made a first down as opposed to playing it safe and setting up the kick from the 25 from the middle of the field.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All I know is Citadel could run for 3 yards whenever they had to have it, and we couldn’t push them back on 4th and 1.

Can’t beat anyone if your lines are getting beat. Ours were, on both sides of the ball.

I am just really surprised that a team at Citadel’s level had better lines than us.