The Citadel Postgame

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
To me the bottom line is that

IF we are a true rebuilding program then this loss may be expected. Turning over an entire staff and getting players on the right notes is difficult so there’s that.

BUT. I just do not believe we are truly rebuilding a program. Yes we are talking differently, we are putting new plays in etc. but our players are not duds. They have talent ! Alabama talent ? No, Georgia talent ? No, Virginia talent ? Duke talent ? Fla State talent ? Hell yes !!

We are not running plays that support our talent, period . We are lining up in spread and telling people we are a spread player based team but we are still trying to run option .

We are running plays designed to get the ball across the field and not up it. Can someone tell me how our O Line is suppose to be a weak point but we run stretch type plays out of shotgun ? Why are we running 1 yard outs with the TE ? Dosent those type plays put the very weakest part of our game under extreme pressure to perform ?

The truth ? We have coaches who aren’t use to this level. Yes Temple is a big school but when was the last time we expected them to be a football power house ? Our coaches can get away with subpar play calling and substandard use of personnel at Temple but not here ! Not in the ACC !

The performance today was, as I’ve said before, a reflection of the coaching . How many times does a very good corner get blown off the line on runs on his direction before a coach talks to him on the sideline ? I know that corner is good and you know he is good, why is he hand fighting a block in run support as he backs down the field ? Did nobody tell him to blow up the play at the line even if he didn’t make the tackle ? Why not after 5 times ?

Why did we send LJ out after the half, have confusion on the play , call a timeout and then send TO back out there ? Did the coaches mean for LJ or TO to be out there ? Were they confused ? Are they making decisions and second guessing themselves ? Before the play is even ran ?

What I’m getting at is that it’s not the team that’s retooling and learning it’s the coaches. Nothing more nothing less. Once our staff figures out our team for real ( not lip service ) then and only then will our players run plays like they are designed AND be successful

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
todays game
1. oliver could have won the game if they gave him more chances
2. most frustrating - 23 seconds left and you don't even run a play from scrimmage, or was it the personal foul penalties one after another
3. Citadel beat us - we would have been lucky if we somehow won the game
4. Triple option beating you with an FCS team makes you long for Monken - wonder if he would have taken the job if pursued
5. I'm still pulling for the new coach but early observations are a) less fun more discipline needed b) our offensive coordinator is offensive and 3) hope this doesn't kill recruiting
Perfect summary

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The performance today was, as I’ve said before, a reflection of the coaching . How many times does a very good corner get blown off the line on runs on his direction before a coach talks to him on the sideline ? I know that corner is good and you know he is good, why is he hand fighting a block in run support as he backs down the field ? Did nobody tell him to blow up the play at the line even if he didn’t make the tackle ? Why not after 5 times ?

Agreed. Noticed the same thing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Oh,! I was happy that "money down" didn't make it's first call until late in the 2nd quarter. No one I have talked with the last two games is enamored with it.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is Citadel could run for 3 yards whenever they had to have it, and we couldn’t push them back on 4th and 1.

Can’t beat anyone if your lines are getting beat. Ours were, on both sides of the ball.

I am just really surprised that a team at Citadel’s level had better lines than us.

It’s unbelievable how weak we are as a team.

Animal02

Banned
What I’m getting at is that it’s not the team that’s retooling and learning it’s the coaches. Nothing more nothing less. Once our staff figures out our team for real ( not lip service ) then and only then will our players run plays like they are designed AND be successful
The bigger question is why are they getting paid millions to get an education?

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Not jumping ship. Just making a critique. This was a bad day for coach.

1. Find an identity on O and stick with it. The flip flopping qb’s is costing cohesiveness. That said LJ has not been impressive at all. Mason should touch the rock 20 times each game. Where are the quick hitters and screens for an aggressive defense?

2. Find a damn kicker

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Agree on all. Monken runs the triple option well at Army. Love to have the whining complainers leave this board and go to the Army board instead of bitching about not having a coach that retired.

If only Dodd had not retired and died, we would have won.
So you are happy with the coaching performance today?