The Citadel Postgame

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Hold on, I figured it out. What if this was our Villanova?! Early season loss to an FCS team to fire up your squad and spark them to a 7-1 conference record. By God, it's a Collins staple! The mad man is playing mind games! Boys, pack your bags. We're blowing through the Coastal and headed to Charlotte!

That post made my day... Takes some sting off today. And the dumpster fire this season will be. Thanks Cam.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t listened to the press conference so I was going off what I saw at the game. Either way the coaches and players have to know that rule before it happens. It’s not a rule that happens often, but end of the game rules like that are usually the most important to know.
It happens all the time during the game, but when there 10:00 on the clock it doesn’t make any difference. If the clock is running and the offense let’s just say has a false start. They move the ball back and start the clock on ready to play.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume this was an FCS officiating crew. Lost credibility with me with the illegal substitution call against Citadel that was overturned. So I don't doubt that an official told Collins something wrong and he went with it. And if over the stadium it was announced play starts on the snap, (I was there but do not recall) I will give Collins a break on this one.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I assume this was an FCS officiating crew. Lost credibility with me with the illegal substitution call against Citadel that was overturned. So I don't doubt that an official told Collins something wrong and he went with it. And if over the stadium it was announced play starts on the snap, (I was there but do not recall) I will give Collins a break on this one.
He clearly said that the clock would start on the ready for play

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
It happens all the time during the game, but when there 10:00 on the clock it doesn’t make any difference. If the clock is running and the offense let’s just say has a false start. They move the ball back and start the clock on ready to play.
I meant when the 10 second runoff happens. For some reason, people think that the 10 second runoff causes the clock to stop. I realize the regular situation happens all the time. 10 second runoff only happens when the clock is inside one minute.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am glad we don't play next week - I need some time, and I am sure the team and the coaches can use some time as well. There needs to be some real soul searching on our offensive identity.

I think I can breathe and think better now than earlier today. But, even after contemplation, that was a poorly coached and prepared team today. I am hoping it is a "one-off". But, boy, it was gargantuan in nature, losing to an 0-2 FCS school at home. It took a boatload of ineptitude.

With that said, rooting for CGC and the staff to get it turned around against some very big odds.
I have to admit I am starting to rethink my "possibility" range of 4-6 wins. Maybe it will look better in the a.m.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I meant when the 10 second runoff happens. For some reason, people think that the 10 second runoff causes the clock to stop. I realize the regular situation happens all the time. 10 second runoff only happens when the clock is inside one minute.
It would only make sense that if the clock was running before the penalty that it would start on the ready to play. Otherwise if I need a fg and more than 10 sec on the clock you would have a false start to stop the clock and let your fg kicker go through his normal routine and not have to rush.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Our losses in '83 were to Bama, Furman, Clemson, UNC, Auburn, Tenn, Duke, and Georgia. Our wins were against NCSU, UVA, and WF.
Correct. I am thinking of the year we lost to Memphis State. Anyway, this is not the first time we have suffered an embarrassing loss but the way it happened makes it rank right up there in the top three or so. Might be the worst given that they had not won a game this year and lost to Elon.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Some notes on why this is on the coaches:

Defense: 1. If you recall, coach said “we run our schemes in practice, not other teams”..so clearly we thought that was how to prepare for triple option - coaches fault. 2. No adjustment at all at half - no perimeter set, we were lucky Citadel didn’t run that rocket toss every down. 3. One personal foul bothers me, but CLEARLY coaches haven't made any consequences since 2 more felt the need to act fools on the same drive! Unacceptable and this is the coaches fault. (On the players: we got whooped on the line ALL day!)

Offense: Oliver, Oliver and more Oliver! Why is this so hard? He’s the playmaker. LJ might be good in practice but he panics under the slightest pressure and throws badly. Oliver is the leader no matter where you put him. Under center would be smart. Play calling was atrocious. And of course clock mgt

Stadium: I guess the coaches put all their effort into reinstatement of tradition this week...nice to see the whistle and other things back!

I love Tech football and will go cheer with my dad no matter what, but today was poetic justice for us...to get beat by FCS running the offense everyone said we had to get rid of...that’s what the option does. It takes a 34 point under dog and makes them winners!

Mostly I’m sad about the season. We have good players. Those kids work hard. I don’t see anything from the coaches that gives me confidence they know how to use the talent.

What does Oliver have to do to prove he can run the team? I love watching him run!

Animal02

Banned
Some notes on why this is on the coaches:

Defense: 1. If you recall, coach said “we run our schemes in practice, not other teams”..so clearly we thought that was how to prepare for triple option - coaches fault. 2. No adjustment at all at half - no perimeter set, we were lucky Citadel didn’t run that rocket toss every down. 3. One personal foul bothers me, but CLEARLY coaches haven't made any consequences since 2 more felt the need to act fools on the same drive! Unacceptable and this is the coaches fault. (On the players: we got whooped on the line ALL day!)

Offense: Oliver, Oliver and more Oliver! Why is this so hard? He’s the playmaker. LJ might be good in practice but he panics under the slightest pressure and throws badly. Oliver is the leader no matter where you put him. Under center would be smart. Play calling was atrocious. And of course clock mgt

Stadium: I guess the coaches put all their effort into reinstatement of tradition this week...nice to see the whistle and other things back!

I love Tech football and will go cheer with my dad no matter what, but today was poetic justice for us...to get beat by FCS running the offense everyone said we had to get rid of...that’s what the option does. It takes a 34 point under dog and makes them winners!

Mostly I’m sad about the season. We have good players. Those kids work hard. I don’t see anything from the coaches that gives me confidence they know how to use the talent.

What does Oliver have to do to prove he can run the team? I love watching him run!
Well said.