The Citadel Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No he's not. Graham was hurt.

I was listening to Demetra pregame and he announced that Graham was in a boot and not active so I immediately thought oh **** we're in trouble. But then common sense took over and I said to myself "Calm down MKE, Oliver and Lucas will be able to get us past this game". They just simply can't throw a football. Period. The td to Camp was an underthrown duck, great play by Camp. Oliver is fun to watch run and people keep saying PUT OLIVER IN but the teams we face are saying the same thing. They want Oliver in so they can just stack the box and eventually take away his qb keepers. Never in my sober mind did I think Graham not being available would be the reason we lost to The Citadel. But was it because we didn't have our qb, or was it because we have a buffoon as an offensive coordinator? I honestly don't know. I thought to myself I could literally walk down to the sideline and call a better game than DP. It'd go something like this (even though I don't even like the shotgun spread), "Hey can you guys line up in the gun 4 wide and run this power run? And hey Lucas or Tobias, I'm gonna simplify things and give you just a 2 man route on each side and let you make a 1/2 decision...one of them will be the correct read and one won't, either way one of them will be there. Got it?" And they'd say, "Got it coach". We'd win by 20 just doing that. There's no reason on this earth why we did not beat Citadel. DP should be let go this evening if not this afternoon. "But it takes time MKE!!!" No, we could've ran 4 plays and beat that team.

In some weird paranoid place that I was at this afternoon I was honestly thinking "Did we screw over DP at some point? Did he apply for a GT position in the past and we just dissed him or something??" The offense and plays he is calling for the 1st 3 games made me think he is trying to sabotage us on purpose. Cooler heads prevailed and I talked myself out of that, but the fact that the calls are THAT bad that it could even cross someone's mind speaks for itself. That dude cannot remain at GT, PERIOD.

This week of Swarm is gonna be epic.

The best pass I saw the entire game was thrown by Tobias. Get him on the outside with Jordan Mason and it is like playing with dynamite. Tailor the offense to what he can do and not what you want him to be and he will win ball games. That's what you want isn't it? To win? TO gives us the best chance. So he is not Tom Brady. Think about this, when was the last time you saw a quarterback running back kickoffs? He is the best athlete on the team so play him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It sounded like that, and there are a couple here who have already come out and said that.
I’m biting my tongue about our talent but everyone sees it regardless of their choice of beverages/drinks.

Our coaching is atrocious but I’d bet that if we didn’t have a coaching change last year we probably would this year. We all need to remember how we’ve been trending since the Orange Bowl’s high water mark.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
This sucks, but isn’t the time to jump ship. To all the people who like cpj more than tech, remember he walked away. If you can’t give Collins a couple years to get upgraded talent, then you may want to pick a new team as opposed to continue to bring up cpj. While this loss SUCKS, I am glad we are moving to a more updated system and think in a couple years it will be worth the pain we will feel for the next 18 months or so...

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
2-10 Kansas was smacked by an FCS opponent the previous week took the defending ACC champs & CPJ lunch. They are definitely neighbors
Dude come on....if their starting Qb didn’t get hurt it would have even gone to OT. Why all of sudden do you seem to be dumping CPJ? It would perfectly fine to not mention anything about him, but you seem to be using him to excuse what happened today. I fear what might happen going forward. If we don’t improve dramatically we very likely might not win another game. Everyone says (I don’t agree) that we don’t have any talent, well we go 1-11 and we won’t be getting any talent.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It was also Ok when we should’ve lost to GW in 2008 during a transition. Too bad Johnson couldn’t have left us a Michael Johnson to save our bacon.
Say what you will Johnson win that game and 9 winds that season with guys who didn't got his system. And honestly yes he had some great players from CCG but CCG did nothing with those guys, yet a competent coach was able. But really Knox it's not even about that, what had me riled up is how much this current coaching staff and people have been ragging in previous coaches here and the state of the program. If you're gonna talk all that ****, you better back it up and I have not seeing any backing it up yet.

Milwaukee

Banned
My negativity is who I am. It was based on bonehead plays and calls today during the heat of the moment, but I never stopped rooting for GT to win, not once. I will not get into name calling, because I realize you are better at that. In fact, you may have an advanced degree in name calling. :)

Lol yea you’re a pillar of GT support. History says so.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The best pass I saw the entire game was thrown by Tobias. Get him on the outside with Jordan Mason and it is like playing with dynamite. Tailor the offense to what he can do and not what you want him to be and he will win ball games. That's what you want isn't it? To win? TO gives us the best chance. So he is not Tom Brady. Think about this, when was the last time you saw a quarterback running back kickoffs? He is the best athlete on the team so play him.
I'm so tired of the "best pass of the game to evaluate our QB" thing. After the Clemson game, everyone was screaming James Graham because of his touchdown pass (which was a nice pass). The QB who plays should be the one who best gives us the chance to win. Against a slow Citadel defense, I 100% think that is Tobias Oliver's game to take over.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To expand on the O, it’s extremely concerning that our staff can’t generate more out of this group. Choosing scheme over wins is not a smart move. The excuse that you don’t have the right players and are running a different offense is admission that you are not very good at adapting to your players. Very concerning IMO
Yes, especially since Coach has said, over and over, that he wants to run a player oriented, rather then a scheme oriented team. I'm beginning to think what demeans is not that he'll adapt his game plans to the talent of the players, but that he thinks he needs to have players to do what he wants.

Problem = we have good players, but they aren't those players. The coaches need to realize that and get with a program that will win with what we have.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GA State beats TN and the fanbase melted down EXACTLY like what we see here. Game film showed players walking on the field and former players LIT up the radio shows.

Pruitt even admitted that they doubled down on practice and it was a much improved team that played BYU.

If there is anything good that can come out of this is that next time, we’re improving. Looks like were stuck in a stall.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I’m biting my tongue about our talent but everyone sees it regardless of their choice of beverages/drinks.

Our coaching is atrocious but I’d bet that if we didn’t have a coaching change last year we probably would this year. We all need to remember how we’ve been trending since the Orange Bowl’s high water mark.
That tend was better than what it is now and if some of the current resources were available from 2014 on, we could have built in that success.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
This sucks, but isn’t the time to jump ship. To all the people who like cpj more than tech, remember he walked away. If you can’t give Collins a couple years to get upgraded talent, then you may want to pick a new team as opposed to continue to bring up cpj. While this loss SUCKS, I am glad we are moving to a more updated system and think in a couple years it will be worth the pain we will feel for the next 18 months or so...
I would never jump ship but i think there's a lot of pain and disappointment on the way during the rest of the 2019 football season:(

So enough with the hand wringing. This can be fixed this season, if the coaches think straight
1. Tobias Oliver plays from here on out.
2. More Option and get the ball to Mason more.
3. Throw it more to Camp. Let him get up and contest it.
4. The 15 yard penalties by the defense was just lack of coaching. Really, you are taunting and getting excited playing the Citadel. Time to sit those guys down and stop the hype. Play smart
5. Good news is we don't have to face CPJ....uh I mean an option offense again. It is too devastating.
6. And it looks like everybody else in the ACC is a dumpster fire as well. VT, Miami, BC, NC state.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Say what you will Johnson win that game and 9 winds that season with guys who didn't got his system. And honestly yes he had some great players from CCG but CCG did nothing with those guys, yet a competent coach was able. But really Knox it's not even about that, what had me riled up is how much this current coaching staff and people have been ragging in previous coaches here and the state of the program. If you're gonna talk all that ****, you better back it up and I have not seeing any backing it up yet.

We could only score 10 points on GW. If CPJ had a typical CPJ defense we lose that game by 20. If we had the 2008 roster we win this game by 20.

Milwaukee

Banned
How about Oliver? Staff would rather lose to citadel than name him the QB.

He can’t throw a forward pass and he’s a scholarship quarterback. He can get mad all he wants for not starting as a slot receiver but if you line him up in THIS offense at qb and just run him every play like you currently do, do you think we’re gonna win a football game against D1 dc’s? Not a chance.