The Citadel Postgame

Scubapro

Banned
Tough loss. The end of that game was hard to watch, we had it in the bag. Down 4 scholarship offensive linemen on an already thin line also hurts immensely for getting anything going. Go into the bye, clean up the mistakes, and hope to improve. Let's move on.

I was pissed last year when I saw people coming out of the woodwork celebrating Johnson's losses. And I'm ashamed I see people doing it again this year because they think it verifies their position that we should have hired someone else. It's year one. Move on. You're being destructive to the program. Let's hope the players don't think like you do.
I am not celebrating Collins' and Paten-nut's deficiencies....just pointing them out
Lets see how Paten-nut sells this...to me it looks like we will have a new o coordinator this time next year

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We’re 3 games into a new regime after our HC quit and there are already calls for Monken or Bohannon already. My assumption is very much in line with temperature of this who have been sitting on their hands waiting something bad to happen.

Or maybe it’s because losing to an FCS team is completely unacceptable and they are thinking we may be better off running what we were running.

I know the TO isn’t cool or whatever and we didn’t have Money Downs, but at least we beat FCS teams.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Whew. Three games in and the Restore the Glory movement is bailing out, jumping ship, fleeing the scene. Now we want not only the new head coach, the new OC and maybe the new DC fired, but the athletic director. Throw in the Hold 'em Back coach assigned the DC on the sideline -- an innovation I find charming -- and we have hit the daily double squared. I still feel nuts going Julius Caesar, but three games just ain't the measuring stick, though the lack of HC experience -- forget the Collins travelogue: two years at a mid-level with middlin' success -- seems more and more evident. I thought early on he should spend more time coaching and less time talking, but he sure lit up a bunch on this board. It was an upset today, sure, but who really thought Georgia Tech was 36 points better than anybody? The offensive problem in a nutshell, to me, is that Collins is trying to run "his" offense without the players, and that is the most serious mistake. Give the guy a chance here, and Stansbury would be wise to put a governor on his ramblings that often verge on boasts and knocks on every GT coach since Dodd, and even he might be suspect. Run the option, call it the option, and recruit your players.

Milwaukee

Banned
All of you LJ supporters, I better not hear a peep. TO is our QB if we even hope to win anymore games this year.

No he's not. Graham was hurt.

I was listening to Demetra pregame and he announced that Graham was in a boot and not active so I immediately thought oh **** we're in trouble. But then common sense took over and I said to myself "Calm down MKE, Oliver and Lucas will be able to get us past this game". They just simply can't throw a football. Period. The td to Camp was an underthrown duck, great play by Camp. Oliver is fun to watch run and people keep saying PUT OLIVER IN but the teams we face are saying the same thing. They want Oliver in so they can just stack the box and eventually take away his qb keepers. Never in my sober mind did I think Graham not being available would be the reason we lost to The Citadel. But was it because we didn't have our qb, or was it because we have a buffoon as an offensive coordinator? I honestly don't know. I thought to myself I could literally walk down to the sideline and call a better game than DP. It'd go something like this (even though I don't even like the shotgun spread), "Hey can you guys line up in the gun 4 wide and run this power run? And hey Lucas or Tobias, I'm gonna simplify things and give you just a 2 man route on each side and let you make a 1/2 decision...one of them will be the correct read and one won't, either way one of them will be there. Got it?" And they'd say, "Got it coach". We'd win by 20 just doing that. There's no reason on this earth why we did not beat Citadel. DP should be let go this evening if not this afternoon. "But it takes time MKE!!!" No, we could've ran 4 plays and beat that team.

In some weird paranoid place that I was at this afternoon I was honestly thinking "Did we screw over DP at some point? Did he apply for a GT position in the past and we just dissed him or something??" The offense and plays he is calling for the 1st 3 games made me think he is trying to sabotage us on purpose. Cooler heads prevailed and I talked myself out of that, but the fact that the calls are THAT bad that it could even cross someone's mind speaks for itself. That dude cannot remain at GT, PERIOD.

This week of Swarm is gonna be epic.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, pointing out that today was a debacle does not mean we enjoyed it. It tore my stomach up. I did not enjoy it.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that because I liked Coach Johnson, and would have been supportive of a Monken hire, that somehow that means I want this to happen. I am GT to my bones, and I could never want something like this (losing to an FCS school) to happen. I am pretty sure Animal, DCS, and others feel the same way. It is an INSULT for those that really were rooting against CPJ and the team in previous years to claim that CPJ fans want the team to lose. It is the exact opposite.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You seriously think our talent level is that if the citadel??? You are on some next level koolaid drinking son
Where in the world did I even imply our talent level is on par with Them but most people can see where our talent strengths and weaknesses are.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
No he's not. Graham was hurt.

I was listening to Demetra pregame and he announced that Graham was in a boot and not active so I immediately thought oh **** we're in trouble. But then common sense took over and I said to myself "Calm down MKE, Oliver and Lucas will be able to get us past this game". They just simply can't throw a football. Period. The td to Camp was an underthrown duck, great play by Camp. Oliver is fun to watch run and people keep saying PUT OLIVER IN but the teams we face are saying the same thing. They want Oliver in so they can just stack the box and eventually take away his qb keepers. Never in my sober mind did I think Graham not being available would be the reason we lost to The Citadel. But was it because we didn't have our qb, or was it because we have a buffoon as an offensive coordinator? I honestly don't know. I thought to myself I could literally walk down to the sideline and call a better game than DP. It'd go something like this (even though I don't even like the shotgun spread), "Hey can you guys line up in the gun 4 wide and run this power run? And hey Lucas or Tobias, I'm gonna simplify things and give you just a 2 man route on each side and let you make a 1/2 decision...one of them will be the correct read and one won't, either way one of them will be there. Got it?" And they'd say, "Got it coach". We'd win by 20 just doing that. There's no reason on this earth why we did not beat Citadel. DP should be let go this evening if not this afternoon. "But it takes time MKE!!!" No, we could've ran 4 plays and beat that team.

In some weird paranoid place that I was at this afternoon I was honestly thinking "Did we screw over DP at some point? Did he apply for a GT position in the past and we just dissed him or something??" The offense and plays he is calling for the 1st 3 games made me think he is trying to sabotage us on purpose. Cooler heads prevailed and I talked myself out of that, but the fact that the calls are THAT bad that it could even cross someone's mind speaks for itself. That dude cannot remain at GT, PERIOD.

This week of Swarm is gonna be epic.
I agree Patenaude must be let go after the UGAG game(y)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Neither the OL nor the DL gave us any advantage today against Citadel. That is the most worrying thing about today because there is no quick fix for that.

As far as QB goes, it seems obvious the long term plan for Oliver is to switch positions and occasionally use him in a wildcat role. Last week taking snaps at other positions and this week returning kicks. In that case, it makes sense that Johnson played so much, but going forward it needs to be either Graham or Yates and just go full on building for next year. If the long term plan is for Oliver to be worked in at slot/RB/WR/wherever, then there is no real advantage to having him play the majority of the snaps at QB. He's a great player, but we have so many issues across the offense that him at QB isn't going to be an outcome decider in any game left. LJ had his chance to stake a claim to the starting spot and didn't take it. However if that's the case then the staff needs to make that clear.

Otherwise on offense, people spent the off season talking about how we had enough talent to be competent in the transition. I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now. Oliver is great with the ball in his hands and we have a couple of nice RBs, but OL is a huge weakness, TE isn't making an impact, and while Camp had a couple nice plays today, I still haven't seen any WR that I think makes much of an impact against ACC teams. People will say we should have enough talent to not struggle against an FCS team, but do we? We basically are really good at the RB position, and really bad everywhere else. I'm sure someone will claim I'm disrespecting the players, or act like it's so hard to believe that we don't have an overwhelming talent advantage, but that doesn't change what was going on on the field. Their lines played better than ours, and their experience in the offense was more effective then our one or two playmakers.

However, it was nice to see Camp make some plays. Maybe he'll be able to relieve some of the pressure in the passing game.

Defensively we started out okay but as they found a bit of success we started having guys try to do too much and they took advantage of it. As I mentioned, the inability of our DL to do much was an issue today, and will be a big issue throughout the year. We'll probably see a good bit of inconsistency on that side of the ball, but I also expect teams to start exploiting our DL more once we get to ACC play.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
You can choose to believe me or not but we are about to lose at least 1 commit that I talked to 20 mins ago. They were already a little nervous after seeing the usf game

Eli

Helluva Engineer
You can choose to believe me or not but we are about to lose at least 1 commit that I talked to 20 mins ago. They were already a little nervous after seeing the usf game

If I was a qb I would not come here

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
PaUl JoHnSoN oNlY HaD a GoOd ReCoRd BeCaUsE hE BeAt FcS tEaMs

Well that’s sounding pretty damn good right now. No excuse to lose to the citadel. Talent? Not in this game. The players just didn’t execute? Then the coaching hasn’t been good enough.

I expected it to be a rough rebuild year. Still shouldn’t ever lose to an FCS team. Fewer scholarships and fewer resources. We’re just playing ****ty football. Unless you believe we have bottom 3 talent on offense in all of fbs then we are underperforming
Without getting into old/new coach folderol -- wasted energy -- what we saw today was the beauty of a scheme compensating for all those disadvantages.

Milwaukee

Banned

F113408E-A078-42C8-82CE-18367CAB9725.gif