The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
These the same experts that said it does not transmit via the air so you don’t need to wear a mask, or the ones that said it’s ok to pack the subway, or the ones that said it didn’t come from China so it’s racist to ban flights from there, or the ones against HCQ or Remdesivir, etc or the ones that thought they desperately needed ventilators, or the ones that thought it was ok to cram a positive C19 patient into a nursing home bed next to granny, or the ones that said kids can’t get it, or the ones saying it would go away in the summer, or the ones that said it was ok to go to Chinatown’s New Year’s celebration or ride your cycle to Sturgis, or wanted to close boat docks down but leave open tattoo parlors and nail salons, etc. Who exactly is this expert you speak of?

There haven't been an overwhelming majority of experts saying that it doesn't transmit by air. I can't find any sources where medical experts said it was ok to pack a subway. Doctors haven't been saying it didn't come from China. In fact, that's probably the single most agreed upon point in this whole matter. You are confusing experts and politicians. Politicians on both sides have mishandled this from the start. The experts have been pretty steady in their recommendations.

Deleted member 2897

There haven't been an overwhelming majority of experts saying that it doesn't transmit by air. I can't find any sources where medical experts said it was ok to pack a subway. Doctors haven't been saying it didn't come from China. In fact, that's probably the single most agreed upon point in this whole matter. You are confusing experts and politicians. Politicians on both sides have mishandled this from the start. The experts have been pretty steady in their recommendations.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What are you not grasping here? I’m beginning to think you’re being purposely obtuse. The numbers are literally right in front of you. I’m not trying to be condescending, but the science is LITERALLY right in front of you.

The numbers are right in front of me. Currently the death rate for this disease is 5% of closed cases worldwide. In the US it's 6% of closed cases. I also have a wife who works as a nurse and has been pulling shifts on the COVID floor of her hospital. She doesn't look at humans as numbers. These people are very sick, and they aren't all geriatric patients either. It's easy to sit behind a computer screen and act like the internet tough guy, but when the front line people are telling me it's serious, I tend to believe them. You might find all this amusing, I don't.

Milwaukee

Banned
The numbers are right in front of me. Currently the death rate for this disease is 5% of closed cases worldwide. In the US it's 6% of closed cases. I also have a wife who works as a nurse and has been pulling shifts on the COVID floor of her hospital. She doesn't look at humans as numbers. These people are very sick, and they aren't all geriatric patients either. It's easy to sit behind a computer screen and act like the internet tough guy, but when the front line people are telling me it's serious, I tend to believe them. You might find all this amusing, I don't.

Believe me we are taking it as serious as the numbers indicate. It’s right in front of you.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Moving sports to the spring also assumes:

1. The US will have the virus under control by then

or

2. There is a viable vaccine.

The short history of this tells us #1 is probably not gonna happen. #2 seems more likely, but vaccines are usually a 12-18 month process just to create something viable, and even more time to distribute at a level that's going to become effective.
Doesn't really matter if the vaccine is effective or not. The placebo effect will go a long ways to placating people's fears.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Believe me we are taking it as serious as the numbers indicate. It’s right in front of you.
Well for a little more perspective, here are some more numbers...

• New estimates are projecting the number of COVID-19 deaths could top 180,000 in the United States by the end of August.
  • At that pace, the viral illness would be the third-leading cause of death in the United States in 2020, behind only cancer and heart disease.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Another example:

One side has the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC saying open schools.

The other side is the teachers unions.
You are comparing unionized workers fighting for safety to kids wanting to participate in extracurricular activities. Nobody goes to bat for these kids in these situations, and their safety is assumed by the schools themselves opening them up to a litany of problems if they were found to not be providing the safest environment possible. Trevor Lawrence seems to want to unionize the players now, which I'm not actually against, but that pretty much ends the amateur model for college sports and opens up a very different conversation.

Milwaukee

Banned
Well for a little more perspective, here are some more numbers...

• New estimates are projecting the number of COVID-19 deaths could top 180,000 in the United States by the end of August.
  • At that pace, the viral illness would be the third-leading cause of death in the United States in 2020, behind only cancer and heart disease.

One MORE time for the people in the back.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

For those that can't read tweets, Dan Patrick reports Big 10 and Pac 12 will cancel. ACC and Big 12 undecided. SEC trying to convince others to play. My sense is the ACC will do as the SEC does, but we will see.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
One MORE time for the people in the back.

We get this, but even if the mortality rate is 1 in 1,000 for the young and healthy, there are 120-something FBS teams with 100 or so players each. One or even a handful of really bad outcomes is very much in the realm of possibility if large-scale outbreaks occur.

Ultimately, we can all use the stats to make whatever point we want to make. I myself don't have a strong opinion whether we should play fall or spring. I just want the decision to be made carefully and thoughtfully. I just don't think we should kid ourselves that this is a no-brainer either way. It's a big decision for both lives and livelihoods.