The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

i don't understand whats changed in a week. the virus is still doing the same **** it was last week when everyone decided to play. I get why we wont see MACtion this year since that's pretty much a financial decision. but the P5 reversing course now doesn't make sense

It feels like behind the scenes a lot more players and families don’t want to play. Which is fine, then don’t play. What everyone should be voting on is does each team have more than enough personnel who wants to play or not. There is no point in voting to cancel other people’s seasons.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
i don't understand whats changed in a week. the virus is still doing the same **** it was last week when everyone decided to play. I get why we wont see MACtion this year since that's pretty much a financial decision. but the P5 reversing course now doesn't make sense
Yep. In fact, new cases in Georgia based on Onset date have been steadily declining for a month. So actually to me the evidence is pointing towards reason that in six weeks it might be OK to play. Strange they'd cancel out of the blue. The ACC making a decision would be especially strange given that they just released the schedule.

Milwaukee

Banned
I am pretty sure if a University President says "no" to football, the AD can't override him. The only thing that surprises me is the haste to make decisions before students are even back on campus. If the school can mitigate the inevitable outbreaks on campus they might be able to have a season.

Nick Saban has about a thousand times more say in this decision for The University of Alabama than their President does. I promise.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Could be the difference between the University President and Athletic Department? If the ACC votes down a season, I hope we reach out to these teams to put together a schedule. How about a season where we play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn....? :)

Could be that the athletic department, or some of the coaches would like to reach out. However, if the President decides that they won't play, it will be hard for the athletic department to go off by themselves.

I haven't read or studied up on the ACC conference contracts. However, I think it would be difficult legally for GT to do that if the conference does cancel the season. I also don't think GT would do that. The liability would be exponentially higher for a ragtag group of games when every conference has cancelled the season. The potential revenue would likely still be less than potential revenue from a spring ACC season. If GT starting playing in a fall ragtag group of games that ended up being cancelled it would likely preclude GT from playing in an ACC spring season.

I see an upside for fans, but I don't see any upside at all for the athletic department.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
It feels like behind the scenes a lot more players and families don’t want to play. Which is fine, then don’t play. What everyone should be voting on is does each team have more than enough personnel who wants to play or not. There is no point in voting to cancel other people’s seasons.

I feel a little of this as well. I think there are more athletes hesitant to play than the fans realize. And maybe they have been scared to speak up until the relatively new trend of players’ banding together to have a larger voice, like what’s happened with in the PAC12 and BIG10

LibertyTurns

Banned
Your article proves my point? Experts say it's airborne. Governmental and political medical advice is lacking? Go figure. My exact words:

"There haven't been an overwhelming majority of experts saying that it doesn't transmit by air.......The experts have been pretty steady in their recommendations."

Don't confuse politicians and government leaders with experts.
In between different events at work but if you look back to WHO analysis like this in March they’re discussing whether or not healthcare workers need masks, whether patients need masks, etc.

This is February- no evidence it spreads they the air, get on that Subway it’s ok.

These guys thought maybe just breathing spread the virus in April. Most did not at that time.

This is May.

A month ago MIT is analyzing if it’s transmitted thru the air:

There’s a lot of revisionist history being perpetuated because quite frankly there’s agendas and most people just do not remember anything past yesterday.

The same conversation can be had about it’s origins, quarantining, social distancing, treatment regimens, ventilators, you name it. Most of the information has been wrong. It’s being presented as if all these experts were right all along but they were wrong 95% of the time. Are they finally right or just wrong again???

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The real problem is that everyone didn't decide to play. This has been a kicking the can down the road exercise the entire time. There has been planning but no real decisions. In the past week though, the MAC cancelled their season, Uconn cancelled their season, and several players opted out of the season. Those obviously didn't help the lets play side.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In between different events at work but if you look back to WHO analysis like this in March they’re discussing whether or not healthcare workers need masks, whether patients need masks, etc.

This is February- no evidence it spreads they the air, get on that Subway it’s ok.

These guys thought maybe just breathing spread the virus in April. Most did not at that time.

This is May.

A month ago MIT is analyzing if it’s transmitted thru the air:

There’s a lot of revisionist history being perpetuated because quite frankly there’s agendas and most people just do not remember anything past yesterday.

The same conversation can be had about it’s origins, quarantining, social distancing, treatment regimens, ventilators, you name it. Most of the information has been wrong. It’s being presented as if all these experts were right all along but they were wrong 95% of the time. Are they finally right or just wrong again???

I'll link a few articles from the Feb-Apr timeline where scientists were actually saying it was most likely airborne. As with any set of experts, opinions will vary, but I know my wife, who works with COVID patients, was telling me as early as March that her DRs were saying it most likely has airborne transmission.

I'll also note that the first article you linked has the following words as the first sentence, (emphasis mine):

"First published on 29 March 2020, updated on 9 July based on updated scientific evidence."

This is the crux of my concern. Too many people are simply reading a subset of news that confirms their opinions. (That's not limited to C-19 btw) It's relatively easy to find a youtube video or tweet by a legit DR who says what you want to hear. In the end, however, the overwhelming majority will generally coalesce around central tenants that are most important. So while I get your frustration, I am not sure you are correct on all your assertions. Either way, we should expect some information to change as we gather new evidence. The most important thing is that we don't throw out all the good they are doing simply because they might have been wrong once or twice.

Deleted member 2897

I'll link a few articles from the Feb-Apr timeline where scientists were actually saying it was most likely airborne. As with any set of experts, opinions will vary, but I know my wife, who works with COVID patients, was telling me as early as March that her DRs were saying it most likely has airborne transmission.

I'll also note that the first article you linked has the following words as the first sentence, (emphasis mine):

"First published on 29 March 2020, updated on 9 July based on updated scientific evidence."

This is the crux of my concern. Too many people are simply reading a subset of news that confirms their opinions. (That's not limited to C-19 btw) It's relatively easy to find a youtube video or tweet by a legit DR who says what you want to hear. In the end, however, the overwhelming majority will generally coalesce around central tenants that are most important. So while I get your frustration, I am not sure you are correct on all your assertions. Either way, we should expect some information to change as we gather new evidence. The most important thing is that we don't throw out all the good they are doing simply because they might have been wrong once or twice.

Nobody expects scientists to be perfect. But when people across Asia are wearing masks (they’re used to these sorts of outbreaks), and the Surgeon General and others say unequivocally that masks don’t work or do any good - that’s a problem. They didn’t say “current science leads us to believe they don’t work” or “we don’t really know, but we don’t have proof they work yet”. He used all caps like he was screaming, telling everyone to stop wearing masks. Not “wear them if you want to - it won’t hurt anything” - unequivocal stop. Happens all the time, and obviously in more fields than just COVID-19.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nobody expects scientists to be perfect. But when people across Asia are wearing masks (they’re used to these sorts of outbreaks), and the Surgeon General and others say unequivocally that masks don’t work or do any good - that’s a problem. They didn’t say “current science leads us to believe they don’t work” or “we don’t really know, but we don’t have proof they work yet”. He used all caps like he was screaming, telling everyone to stop wearing masks. Not “wear them if you want to - it won’t hurt anything” - unequivocal stop. Happens all the time, and obviously in more fields than just COVID-19.

To be completely fair, people across Asia have been wearing masks for over a decade now, and not all of it has to do with viral transmission. I travel to China every year, in fact, I was just there last October, and the main reason so many Chinese wear masks is due to the ungodly amounts of smog and air pollution there.

Also, the Surgeon General came out within a week or two, apologized, admitted he was wrong, and has been encouraging masks ever since. (I agree that the Surgeon Generals original stance was a real problem though)

The real difference is that the Chinese population wasn't rising up in arms about wearing masks. We had protests here in the states claiming mask regulations were unconstitutional. It's a huge difference in cultures and Americans are very non-conformist by nature.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Many have asked why the sudden change in stance on the part of the P5. This article explains a lot of it.

It freely admits that so far the percentages are low, but they are not zero.

" “That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’” "

Also, this article was interesting. While I can't say I agree with every take on the situation, and the writer seems to have an agenda, it hits at some real problems ADs will be facing in the coming weeks/months...

Deleted member 2897

Many have asked why the sudden change in stance on the part of the P5. This article explains a lot of it.

" “That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’” "

Also, this article was interesting. While I can't say I agree with every take on the situation, and the writer seems to have an agenda, it hits at some real problems ADs will be facing in the coming weeks/months...

And there you go. They have about 10 cases nationwide. I don't even want to guess how many zeros equate to that number - 0.00001? Sounds like it’s orders of magnitude below the normal rate of heart issues in their population. We probably had more than 10 players on our own team go to the hospital for something or other in the last 12 months. How many cases nationwide of CTE? Spinal cord injuries? Heat stroke? Heart issues from other causes? Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT_EE78

Banned

as you said, WaPo has an agenda. what a surprise!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And there you go. They have about 10 cases nationwide. I don't even want to guess how many zeros equate to that number - 0.00001? We probably had more than 10 players on our own team go to the hospital for something or other in the last 12 months. How many cases nationwide of CTE? Spinal cord injuries? Heat stroke? Heart issues from other causes? Sad.

The doctors state that they aren't sure how widespread the condition may be because they haven't tested enough to get better conclusions. But myocarditis already (pre-covid) accounts for upwards of 5% of athletes deaths every year, and this virus has shown an ability to exaggerate those odds.

Also from the linked article: " A recent German study released in July revealed heart inflammation in 60 of 100 recovered virus patients. That number included patients who were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. "

Again, if it's just a numbers game, then sure, play football and may the odds be ever in your favor, but these are real people out there and a lot of people paid to make big decisions aren't sure that it's worth the human risk.