The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Two sides to this, and BOTH voices deserved to be heard. Parents of Ohio State players:

I think the thoughts and concerns of parents of student athletes should always be heard but I'm not sure what a letter expressing their kids desire to play really adds to the conversation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yes, only one side of the story must be told.
These aren't two sides of a story. One side is saying we may not have a season because of the potential long term consequences of the virus and the potential liability against the program and the University. The other side is saying, but my kid really wants to play.

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In my view we live in an overly litigiousness society. Therefore, many decisions come down to the lowest common denominator, if you will, in order to avoid litigation. I believe this is a big reason the decision will be made to postpone/cancel the CFB season. The perceived liability is more than the university presidents are willing to accept.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In my view we live in an overly litigiousness society. Therefore, many decisions come down to the lowest common denominator, if you will, in order to avoid litigation. I believe this is a big reason the decision will be made to postpone/cancel the CFB season. The perceived liability is more than the university presidents are willing to accept.
I don't doubt that at all, but on the other hand if they decided to go ahead with the season you could say that it was because of money, too.
So really, the deciding factor is money either way you look at it. The bottom line is whether they thought they risked losing more by playing than they stood to gain by playing.

Milwaukee

Banned
You have a limited pool of data, the same as most of us. Almost all the medical experts are telling us contact sports are not a good idea right now, but because younger people are more likely to survive the virus, and we desperately want football, we condemn them.

I am not trying to be condescending, but your very assertion that experts are using bad science is condescending in itself.

Either way, the reality is that most likely we will not see college football in 2020. If for no other reason than there is no way to justify any potential risk to student athletes and the loved ones they come into contact with while continuing to deny them compensation at market value for their services. As has been mentioned, it's a legal nightmare waiting to happen. All the P5 conferences are ready to cancel, but no one either wants to be the first or last to do so for PR reasons.

What are you not grasping here? I’m beginning to think you’re being purposely obtuse. The numbers are literally right in front of you. I’m not trying to be condescending, but the science is LITERALLY right in front of you.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
These aren't two sides of a story. One side is saying we may not have a season because of the potential long term consequences of the virus and the potential liability against the program and the University. The other side is saying, but my kid really wants to play.

Another example:

One side has the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC saying open schools.

The other side is the teachers unions.

Deleted member 2897

Not that it will save football this year, but there are favorable strides being made towards a vaccine before the end of the year. AstraZeneca is a recent company to show promise.

I hope if the conferences cancel play, and we have enough players that want to keep playing, that we set up some sort of extra-conference play. Set up some schedule against Clemson, Georgia, Ohio state, whoever out there wants to play.