The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
exactly! In the legal world, that is called foreseeability. Yet, they are telling us it is safe to send our children back. Which we have accepted. But it is ok to send our kids back without any checks (not really, allegedly they are going to weekly test all the members of the fraternity house) but not put them in strict guidelines that promote safe behavior

Has your child been under strict guidelines while at home. Have you prevented your child from exiting the house? Has the child been away from you?

If the fraternity house fails to uphold the guidelines they have developed, raise hell. Get your child to raise hell.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Has your child been under strict guidelines while at home. Have you prevented your child from exiting the house? Has the child been away from you?

If the fraternity house fails to uphold the guidelines they have developed, raise hell. Get your child to raise hell.

sort of, no, yes. If you think that 20 year olds are going to do all those things, you are living in a fantasy world.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
In this instance, yes. It refers to only the current time period.

Basically, we all know that the school covers immediate needs if an athlete gets injured during a game or practice, but now a positive covid test, regardless of where it was acquired, the school must pay.
I’m not talking about the test but any costs if a player is positive and needs care. If ordinary times if an SA gets the flu and ends up with pneumonia the school covers them right?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If no, then what is the difference of being on campus and being at home.

In football the players are being instructed to basically spit in each others faces for 30 minutes a game. If you assume half on defense and half on offense since the groupings change with possession. I haven't seen activities where normal students spit in each others faces for 30 minutes on Saturday afternoons.
Kind of hard to spit on someone with a face shield though.

Is it only 18-21 year olds? Maybe include NASCAR fans? Maybe include July 4th parties that occurred? Maybe include local churches that are exceeding capacity limits and refusing to wear masks?
Maybe include protestors? Maybe include people attending "celebrity" funerals? It just seems that some things are ok in some people's eyes, while other things are not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Americans didn't protest en masse over the death count. Similar to WWII. We lost less service members in the current conflicts in Iraq/Afghanistan than died in NY for the coronavirus and America deems the price in blood to great for the gain. The death toll of WWII changed how we view the cost of lives here in America. Beyond that, there is a LOT of difference in the last 100 years so it's not a fair comparison anyways.
The protest started during Vietnam because it was on the news all the time.
Back to football I really hope the ACC does not pull the rug out from us in 2 weeks.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe include protestors? Maybe include people attending "celebrity" funerals? It just seems that some things are ok in some people's eyes, while other things are not.

It wasn't my intent to single out any group. You provided some more examples.

I was just trying to point out that the discussion of kids who can't conduct themselves properly sounds a lot like a get off my lawn argument. Especially since there are plenty of middle aged and older people acting improperly.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Big 12 moves forward for now, will announce schedule this week

This is probably the most important quote - (I think it will all come down to are there large outbreaks on campuses that start to affect the football programs, if there are it could all still go up in smoke.)
"The mindset is it's too early [to cancel]," a Big 12 source told CBS Sports before the meetings. "Unless the medical folks flip the switch, [we'll go]."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has been supportive of playing almost from the beginning of the discussion. He has repeatedly warned that there will be a "disruption" in the season.

"If there is," the source said, "we'll pull the plug."

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The line in the sand. Go ahead and cross it, Nebraska.

When Warren was asked specifically by Yahoo Sports if Nebraska could play college football this fall, he gave an answer that would make his hardline predecessor nod with approval.

“No,” he said, firmly. “Not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference.”

Warren’s concise Nebraska rebuttal is a nice window into the bottom line he used to help guide the decision that may ultimately define his career as Big Ten commissioner. He politely told Nebraska that if it goes rogue, it can pack it where the corn doesn’t husk. And the league would be happy to keep its $50 million cut and share it with those who play nice.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I’m not talking about the test but any costs if a player is positive and needs care. If ordinary times if an SA gets the flu and ends up with pneumonia the school covers them right?

As far as I know 100%, which is D2 about 20 years ago, no. Only if the injury is in practice or game is the school liable. Getting sick, all on you my man.

Deleted member 2897

If no, then what is the difference of being on campus and being at home.

In football the players are being instructed to basically spit in each others faces for 30 minutes a game. If you assume half on defense and half on offense since the groupings change with possession. I haven't seen activities where normal students spit in each others faces for 30 minutes on Saturday afternoons.
Instead of just visitors, full integrated face shields. Rapid COVID tests in the locker rooms pregame. Play ball.

Deleted member 2897

Big 12 moves forward for now, will announce schedule this week

This is probably the most important quote - (I think it will all come down to are there large outbreaks on campuses that start to affect the football programs, if there are it could all still go up in smoke.)
"The mindset is it's too early [to cancel]," a Big 12 source told CBS Sports before the meetings. "Unless the medical folks flip the switch, [we'll go]."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has been supportive of playing almost from the beginning of the discussion. He has repeatedly warned that there will be a "disruption" in the season.

"If there is," the source said, "we'll pull the plug."

So there it is laid bare - they are unserious. “If there are outbreaks“ means on campus. “If there are outbreaks”, will they close campus down? “If there are outbreaks” means they’re willing to use regular students as guinea pigs. Lifelong heart problems for regular students. This isn’t a get off my lawn illustration, it’s pointing out the inconsistency. If you were the head of Ohio State and you were sincerely scared about Lifelong heart issues, you would not want 50,000 kids on your university picking that up and spreading it to more.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The protest started during Vietnam because it was on the news all the time.
Back to football I really hope the ACC does not pull the rug out from us in 2 weeks.
The Vietnam war protests did not start because the war was in the news. It started because people were dying that we knew or went to school with. And no one knew exactly why?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

The line in the sand. Go ahead and cross it, Nebraska.

When Warren was asked specifically by Yahoo Sports if Nebraska could play college football this fall, he gave an answer that would make his hardline predecessor nod with approval.

“No,” he said, firmly. “Not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference.”

Warren’s concise Nebraska rebuttal is a nice window into the bottom line he used to help guide the decision that may ultimately define his career as Big Ten commissioner. He politely told Nebraska that if it goes rogue, it can pack it where the corn doesn’t husk. And the league would be happy to keep its $50 million cut and share it with those who play nice.

Big Red needs to pull the plug and go back to the Big 12 if they'd have them. They stick out like a sore thumb in the Big 10 to me.