The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Is the sole purpose of the Big 10 cancelling the season to deprive the athletic departments of money?

Companies are not travelling as much. I saw an opinion piece that believed that the travel industry is not going to recover fully. Many companies were using remote meetings and remote collaboration before COVID. Now many more companies have gotten used to remote collaboration and are likely to continue saving money by using tools that their employees are now used to. Is the purpose of those thousands of companies to deprive Delta and Hertz out of money just for spite? No. They have figured out that they can run their business much more efficiently and don't have to spend last minute rates on airlines for meetings.

Whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, the Big 10 has decided that the health of their players and their potential liability are impacted by the virus. You can believe that you have better knowledge about viruses than a doctor and a virus researcher who became university presidents. You can believe that people are throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars and lots of lost opportunities for student athletes for some kind or political gain. You can believe that YOU understand what is best for Big 10 sports better than the people who are in charge of Big 10 sports. Your belief doesn't make any of that true.

I am ok with the Big 10's decision, but also don't want to hear them criticize conferences who reach a different conclusion, as long as it is evidence-based.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yea and each time you keep giving irrelevant examples I’ll remind you yet again you’re giving irrelevant examples. These students will hang out in dorms, apartments, fraternity and sorority houses, restaurants, and bars. That gives the university enough risk insulation they’re good with getting their grimy hands on dorm money, tuition, apartment money, and meal plan money. IIWII.

I'll make it simple for you.

Is there a plan that can reduce transmission among students on campus? Yes or no. Is there a plan that can reduce transmission during a football game? Yes or no.

If you don't open things up at all, then the entire economy will not just recede and not just depress, it will entirely crumble. This is no different than opening stores and businesses. People need to be responsible. I should maintain distance from others. I should wear a mask when I go inside stores. I should stay away from large crowds. If you really want to shut down universities because you lack faith in what students will do, then you have to be for shutting down all businesses because people in general are not doing what hey should.

The big difference is there is absolutely no way to prevent exchanging respiratory droplets when playing football. Period. I have not seen any suggestion at all that even begins to do that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am ok with the Big 10's decision, but also don't want to hear them criticize conferences who reach a different conclusion, as long as it is evidence-based.
Are you talking about the Big 10, or about fans?

Has anyone from the Big 10 done that?

Fans are going to say a lot of things to each other. Big 10 fans are probably saying that the SEC is ignoring science. SEC fans are calling the Big 10 wusses.

Deleted member 2897

I'll make it simple for you.

Is there a plan that can reduce transmission among students on campus? Yes or no. Is there a plan that can reduce transmission during a football game? Yes or no.

If you don't open things up at all, then the entire economy will not just recede and not just depress, it will entirely crumble. This is no different than opening stores and businesses. People need to be responsible. I should maintain distance from others. I should wear a mask when I go inside stores. I should stay away from large crowds. If you really want to shut down universities because you lack faith in what students will do, then you have to be for shutting down all businesses because people in general are not doing what hey should.

The big difference is there is absolutely no way to prevent exchanging respiratory droplets when playing football. Period. I have not seen any suggestion at all that even begins to do that.

No. Simple answer. There is no way to reduce transmission at parties at fraternity houses, sorority houses, at bars and restaurants, and so on.

I wonder how long this conversation goes until you realize you understand everything and are correct...but yet somehow the presidents and their medical advisers aren’t huge hypocrites and money grubbers peeing in their sleep over the thought of being sued.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The easiest decision is to kick the can down the road. No liability when you do nothing.

Which is basically what they did today. They kicked the can down the road until winter or spring.

The ACC, Big 12, and SEC have not definitively decided to play. They have decided to wait longer before making decisions. I have said many times in this thread that we won't know for certain until an announcement is made or toe meets leather. The Big 10 and Pac 12 announced today. The ACC, Big 12, and SEC haven't had a kickoff yet. We will find out by mid September. We won't know for sure before then unless it is in the negative.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No. Simple answer. There is no way to reduce transmission at parties at fraternity houses, sorority houses, at bars and restaurants, and so on.

I wonder how long this conversation goes until you realize you understand everything and are correct...but yet somehow the presidents and their medical advisers aren’t huge hypocrites and money grubbers peeing in their sleep over the thought of being sued.

Do the university plans include fraternity parties, sorority parties, bars and restaurants?

How far will the conversation go on until you realize that I am discussing plans and you are discussing whether people will follow those plans. These are the same students that 5 months ago were screaming at the universities to shut down and put everything online. These are the same students that were afraid to come out of their apartments. The universities should work hard to try to get their students to follow the guidelines. If the students don't, then the schools will probably be shut down again.

Deleted member 2897

Do the university plans include fraternity parties, sorority parties, bars and restaurants?

How far will the conversation go on until you realize that I am discussing plans and you are discussing whether people will follow those plans. These are the same students that 5 months ago were screaming at the universities to shut down and put everything online. These are the same students that were afraid to come out of their apartments. The universities should work hard to try to get their students to follow the guidelines. If the students don't, then the schools will probably be shut down again.

That’s freaking hilarious. I thought you had it there for a minute. So they’ll give the students a chance (ie take their money), then send them home if they have to...with permanent long term heart damage.

These people are unserious. If they really think there is such a large chance of lifelong health problems, they wouldn’t put 50,000 kids on campus.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The SeC and ACC and others should say the Big 10 is ignoring science.

So Greg Sanky and John Swofford should publicly deride the Big 10?

That isn't likely to happen. It also isn't likely that Kevin Warren is going to make public statements about what the SEC or ACC should or shouldn't do.

herb

Helluva Engineer

if they don’t include these, they know nothing about 18-21 year olds. What do they think is going to happen?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That’s freaking hilarious. I thought you had it there for a minute. So they’ll give the students a chance (ie take their money), then send them home if they have to...with permanent long term heart damage.

Are those students going to follow guidelines when at home? Have they been following the guidelines for the past 5 months? I guess I have more faith in the American public than you.

Deleted member 2897

So Greg Sanky and John Swofford should publicly deride the Big 10?

That isn't likely to happen. It also isn't likely that Kevin Warren is going to make public statements about what the SEC or ACC should or shouldn't do.

If the Big 10 says that, what I said should be the response of the ACC and SEC. I didn’t say anything more or anything less.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
if they don’t include these, they know nothing about 18-21 year olds. What do they think is going to happen?

Is it only 18-21 year olds? Maybe include NASCAR fans? Maybe include July 4th parties that occurred? Maybe include local churches that are exceeding capacity limits and refusing to wear masks?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking about the Big 10, or about fans?

Has anyone from the Big 10 done that?

Fans are going to say a lot of things to each other. Big 10 fans are probably saying that the SEC is ignoring science. SEC fans are calling the Big 10 wusses.

Fans will do as fans do. I thought the Big 10 commisioners' statement was a bit strong in basically saying it was an obvious call. Could be construed as preemptively throwing the other conferences under the bus.

Deleted member 2897

Are those students going to follow guidelines when at home? Have they been following the guidelines for the past 5 months? I guess I have more faith in the American public than you.

No. No. Based on what? Certainly not the early data points we have from students back on campuses.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the Big 10 says that, what I said should be the response of the ACC and SEC. I didn’t say anything more or anything less.

You either misread what I typed, or I didn't type it very well.

I am sure that fans from various conferences are talking trash. It happens all of the time. I have not heard any conference official make any derogatory remarks about any other conference. I don't expect to. The typical response to questions about other conferences is a -- "I respect the XXX conference's decision. Our conference has decided on a different course". Fans talk trash. Officials usually don't.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No. No. Based on what? Certainly not the early data points we have from students back on campuses.

If no, then what is the difference of being on campus and being at home.

In football the players are being instructed to basically spit in each others faces for 30 minutes a game. If you assume half on defense and half on offense since the groupings change with possession. I haven't seen activities where normal students spit in each others faces for 30 minutes on Saturday afternoons.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Is it only 18-21 year olds? Maybe include NASCAR fans? Maybe include July 4th parties that occurred? Maybe include local churches that are exceeding capacity limits and refusing to wear masks?

exactly! In the legal world, that is called foreseeability. Yet, they are telling us it is safe to send our children back. Which we have accepted. But it is ok to send our kids back without any checks (not really, allegedly they are going to weekly test all the members of the fraternity house) but not put them in strict guidelines that promote safe behavior

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am on the opposite side of that. There should be a professional league for players who aren't interested in college. College football should be college students who are playing football. Get kids who are interested in school. If they can't keep up, or lose interest, then they could leave for the professional league. I don't believe that would kill college athletics. I think it would give players more opportunities, and it would give more kids who want to go to college opportunities to have it paid for.

+1

Wanted people to read it again.