The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Okay, I don't get it. I understood that the Presidents voted 10 - 2 on this, with Nebraska and Iowa voting to play and the rest voting not to play.
It was a vote, was it not? And Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State voted no season.

The university presidents voted not to play. The ADs are likely not happy with those decisions and making it known.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
For all who think that some PAC 12 & BIG10 players are going to transfer or some PAC 12 & BIG 10 teams are going to switch conferences or go independent, get a grip.
Stop all of the foolish talk.
No one is going anywhere.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I still don't understand how a far more deadly disease like the Spanish Influenza did not result in the wholesale cancellation of games in 1918, and they had much inferior testing and curative techniques back then than we do now. Just not buying the perceived necessity to stop life.
Too much media today.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Anyone really know how the ACC presidents voted ? Most of them don't care about sports. ( guess I should not say that cause I don't know them)

As far as I know, they haven't had a go/no-go vote. Even if they have, it wouldn't be a final binding decision. Greg Sankey of the SEC said "I’d keep in mind we haven’t made final, final decisions — there is still some time — but we’ve set a start date,". They are moving forward as if to play, but nobody has said that there definitely will be football this fall.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yep, because those same presidents will force draconian budget cuts down onto those same athletic directors.

That is par for the course right now. Travel industry, entertainment industry, etc. Pick just about anything and there are budget cuts.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
You know this how? I dunno about teams switching, but there will absolutely be transfers.

How will there absolutely be transfers? Do they even have time to transfer and play in any of the conferences that are, as of now at least, trying to play this Fall? And if they can’t make it to those schools for this season, they would be better off staying put as the cancelled conferences are planning on a Spring season. Transferring to the SEC or ACC and not being eligible for this Fall means they’d wait until next Fall to play. I don’t think anyone transfers in a months time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I still don't understand how a far more deadly disease like the Spanish Influenza did not result in the wholesale cancellation of games in 1918, and they had much inferior testing and curative techniques back then than we do now. Just not buying the perceived necessity to stop life.

We were also willing to see hundreds of thousands of Americans be killed in a war back then as well. Times change.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My point is that contrary to what you have been saying, it is possible to plan separation and mask usage in the general student population to minimize virus spread. Schools might not be able to enforce it. Schools have zero authority to enforce it off campus. However, there can actually be plans for minimization.

In football it is impossible to develop a plan to minimize virus spread for players. Linemen are pushing each other all game long. Running backs and linebackers are hitting and tackling each other all game long. maybe the punter and place kicker have minimum contact as long as they aren't blocked or roughed, but that is about it. Symptom checking and virus testing is not working to prevent spread in MLB. A real isolation bubble does appear to be working for the NBA, but I haven't heard any football program that is proposing such a thing.

No plan for playing football is safer than the plan for the general student population. If players are not playing, and are following the mask and separation recommendations they will be safer than if they were playing football. There is no guarantee that students will follow the rules. There is no guarantee that every football player on a team will follow the rules either. If one lineman doesn't follow the rules, then it is likely that even the linemen who have been following the rules will get infected.
You can plan for separation in the general student body but it’s not going to happen. What we don’t know is whether it’s more likely to get the virus playing football or hanging out in a bar. Unless players stay in training with the coaching/training/medical staff managing their schedules and continue to test as they have been I’m not sure how much difference it makes if they play or not. Some are going to get sick either way.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
In an email from the D2 school I played at, the decision to cancel all fall sports there boiled down to last Friday when the NCAA released a statement that said (paraphrasing):
"If any student athlete get Covid, the school is on the hook for ALL medical care." The wording did not say "gets covid during athletic competition", but just gets it. So the SA could get sick by hanging out in a dorm room and the school would have to pay. That is what is driving the BIG10(14) and PAC 12 to say no, rather than fight the wording and the NCAA..
Why would not playing change that? Isnyrhe school on the hook for scholarship athletes health care no matter what?

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, I don't get it. I understood that the Presidents voted 10 - 2 on this, with Nebraska and Iowa voting to play and the rest voting not to play.
It was a vote, was it not? And Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State voted no season.
this is quite curious. Anyone have a response? I don't.

We were also willing to see hundreds of thousands of Americans be killed in a war back then as well. Times change.
I don't think we were "willing" to do that per se. Wilson held out as long as he could, but we ultimately got sucked into it. Were the citizens willing to go? Yes. Would they be today? Probably not, even if we were actually attacked. Far different mindset among Americans today, sad to say.