The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day people we be weary to go to games. Even if most of the men and women on this page over the age of 60 say they will go to games this fall it does not stand for the other 15k fans Bobby Dodd is filled with that are over 60 years old. This will have a lasting impact for gatherings. I know I will be cautious as I caught Covid 19 from Universal studios in February (from what I can trace back). At 29 years old it was a HELL of a cold. Never felt more sick in my life for a week. Still have issues with breathing almost 2 months later.

Couldn't imagine giving it to my 67 yr old father even with no underlying conditions. Age alone is an underlying condition.

End of the day we may have a season but I have some serious doubt fans are allowed in the stadium. I'd be fully surprised if high schools go the route of having a season. That will really change recruiting.

Remember. The US won't just reopen like a light switch. It will take a slow opening to see if flare ups happen or not. Which they will. Then back to lockdown in some areas that flare up.

I'd assume those who cannot work from home can work, but those who can will and should. Still have a crowd gathering limit of under say 50 people throughout the fall until we see how we handle this in the winter.

Barer of badnews but to think we will just reopen america quickly is just wrong and absent minded assumptions. As I've stated before I am currently work from home until end of June. As a company that works with the local government closely there is a reason why its pushed out so far and expected to flow into July.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day people we be weary to go to games. Even if most of the men and women on this page over the age of 60 say they will go to games this fall it does not stand for the other 15k fans Bobby Dodd is filled with that are over 60 years old. This will have a lasting impact for gatherings. I know I will be cautious as I caught Covid 19 from Universal studios in February (from what I can trace back). At 29 years old it was a HELL of a cold. Never felt more sick in my life for a week. Still have issues with breathing almost 2 months later.

Couldn't imagine giving it to my 67 yr old father even with no underlying conditions. Age alone is an underlying condition.

End of the day we may have a season but I have some serious doubt fans are allowed in the stadium. I'd be fully surprised if high schools go the route of having a season. That will really change recruiting.

Remember. The US won't just reopen like a light switch. It will take a slow opening to see if flare ups happen or not. Which they will. Then back to lockdown in some areas that flare up.

I'd assume those who cannot work from home can work, but those who can will and should. Still have a crowd gathering limit of under say 50 people throughout the fall until we see how we handle this in the winter.

Barer of badnews but to think we will just reopen america quickly is just wrong and absent minded assumptions. As I've stated before I am currently work from home until end of June. As a company that works with the local government closely there is a reason why its pushed out so far and expected to flow into July.

Thank you for being rational unlike so many others

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

And while he didn't come right out and say it, the NYC mayor today implied he does not expect sports in NYC until 2021.

Boger, I hope you continue to feel better. Our neighbor is a 25 yr old nurse and she spent 3 days in a hospital and then 14 days at home with COVID19. We think our sone in law had it at the end of February and one of my wife's cousins is battling it in NY right now. People get focused on the death totals, but from those who have gotten it and not died I have been told it was the worst they have ever felt in their life.

it's starting to feel more like Spring 2021 is the most likely option at this time. The West Coast states will decide in lockstep whether they are going to allow sporting events and the NE is likely to be the same. If both decide it is too early, than that forces the hand of the NCAA.

AD's have been pretty consistent on this the last week or so in their statements
1. Students have to be on campus
2. It has to be safe enough for fans and players, if fans can attend their will be no fall sports
3. Test and trace has to be in place.
4. They want to get a full season and so if they think it will be cut short they won't start it.
5. B10 and B12 AD's are consistent they will not consider playing games during the winter.

That's a significant list to overcome. Be awesome if we could be the fall but seems unlikely.

FWIW, the head of the National Institutes of Health said today that a vaccine could be coming soon. What that meant was March 2021 (11 months from now).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOTS of ASSUMPTIONS being made about the seasonal nature of the virus. The fact is that at this point, nobody knows.

Uuuggh, we do know that people in hot, humid environments are spreading the virus. The reproductive rate R0 not be 2.6 but it is high enough to be highly contagious.

Sometimes we can infer things without knowing them.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Reading Reds last post. As far as #5 goes, I completely understand why B10 and 12 AD’s do not want to play after in the winter. Outdoor games up here in Jan/Feb would be down right dangerous because of the weather alone.

Alit if factors in play. Safety, Students on campus, Weather, etc.....
If people think attendance will be low if the season starts on time, sit through a game up here in February! lol

herb

Helluva Engineer
I'm still willing to give California to Mexico for free tacos for a week.

Nobody knows anything. These dire forecasts (Cali’s, not free tacos, i’m In for that) help no one. They may come true but let’s wait and see before running around Like chicken freaking little.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nobody knows anything. These dire forecasts (Cali’s, not free tacos, i’m In for that) help no one. They may come true but let’s wait and see before running around Like chicken freaking little.
I don’t think anybody is running around like chicken little who’s actually involved in the sports world. They’re trying to make contingency plans, and some of those plans include shutting down the possibility of operation for the remainder of the year. However, it’s being reported as if those plans are absolutes. If college football gets cancelled, I’m sure the decision will come “way too early.” But you can’t wait around to make a decision when hundreds of millions of dollars are involved. Due to this fact, I think MLB has the easiest calls to make regarding the entire situation. Simply because it’s time for their season, they can afford to sit and wait, because as soon as possible they can just go back to playing and only worry about scheduling. The winter leagues (NHL, NBA) have to make a decision on whether to continue the postponed season when play resumes, or just scrap it and start a new one, and what a new season’s schedule would look like. The football leagues have to make decisions regarding preseason camps, resume dates, and scheduling if the season were to get pushed back. Shifting around the schedule would cause huge logistics issues in regards to travel, and TV broadcasts. The fact is, making an early call to shut everything down is in all likelihood the easiest and most logistical decision to make.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The fact is, making an early call to shut everything down is in all likelihood the easiest and most logistical decision to make.

But a call in April (when things appear to be at least turning positive) to shut down all sports until 2021 (which is what Garcetti intimated)? I am sorry that is fear mongering and not useful. It could happen but this serves no one any good.

Jmonty71

Banned
I really don't see how the college football season can start on time. Even is the virus is solved, but the end of the month, there will still be months of cleaning and sanitizing involved. Practices would start way later than normal. At that point, it comes down to whether players are game day ready or not. I foresee a ton of injures, jumping into the season without proper conditioning. I think we are looking at, at least October, maybe late September, before toe meets leather.