The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You could have a full season, but without the fans. Test all the players to cut down on the chance anyone on the field could be infected. The home team could just pipe in the fan noise (I'll bet we'd screw that up royally). I'm not advocating this, but just saying...

A football game without fans would be a weird spectacle, though.

As we are a tech school, this is an opportunity!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...iwan-where-robots-will-be-spectators-n1180561

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am expecting a partial season but not a full one right now.
They are going to do everything possible to try to get games in due to the money involved but this is a unique situation.

It's just too early to know.
i think it is getting more unlikely that the season starts on time. You already have multiple schools and multiple states that have said no students on campus this summer (with some cancelling all summer camps and conferences) - I don't think you can make an argument it is not ok for students to be on campus but it is ok for SA's to be on campus.
If most schools across the country go to that route then there is almost no chance of starting on time. That would mean no students until August. You can't just line the football players up and play.
They have had almost no spring practice, no 'voluntary' summer workouts. No big time supervision. Kids are going to be coming into school this fall in worse shape physically than normal so it will take longer to get ready to play. I'm hoping maybe if all is well in terms of health that the season can start around mid-to-late September.
The single biggest key is this - there has to be extensive, rapid testing available. If there is not then this is all an academic discussion. And that testing cannot impact the ability of everyday citizens to get tested. The second big key is having a treatment for this, not a vaccine, but a working treatment. Right now, anybody who gets this is out 2 weeks and anybody they are in contact with is out 2 weeks without the extensive testing.

The first big sign will be decisions on whether students are on campus this fall. If that is a no then there will be no sports.

Also, keep a close eye on CA. What they do will have a huge impact on both college and professional sports. Right now there are multiple officials in CA saying they do not expect to allow sports before Thanksgiving at the earliest. Given how many professional and college teams are based in that state, they can almost single handedly keep the sports world at a stop. it was CA that forced the name, image, likeness issue to be addressed.

We just have no idea. A number of European countries are getting ready to slowly start to open back up - countries that had much fewer cases than the countries that struggled like US, Italy, Spain, UK and France. But their re-openings are being done very slowly and very cautiously. Denmark for example is not going to allow any large gatherings until at least August. All of them had restrictions more severe than the US, so their easing up and opening is bringing them to a level just slightly more open than the US is now. Some aren't allowing restaurants to re-open yet. All of them have restrictions of what businesses can open and how many people can be in contact with each other. Some are keeping cinemas, shopping centers and clubs closed. Some are requiring masks to be worn in public.

The AD of Ohio State had an interview with CBSSports a couple of days ago. He said it makes no sense to have sports being played without fans. If it is too dangerous for fans to be there, then it is too dangerous for SA's to be there. Has to be a both or neither. He is hoping to play but also is working on a plan on how to handle a $50M revenue loss (that is their revenue for 7 home games before any TV revenue).

When you read articles with quotes from AD's and administrators from across the country it is fairly consistent that the ones from the South tend to be the most optimistic about playing this fall, the ones in the West are the most pessimistic, and the ones in the Midwest and NE are sort of in the middle hoping to play but not expecting to yet.
The NCAA is setting up a committee whose purpose will be to look into all the issues and make the ultimate decisions on whether to allow college sports to proceed this fall.

I will say one thing though. College sports will not be the first sports back. There is no chance that college administrators with students and student athletes will take that risk. If there is no professional sports being played by mid-to-late July you can probably expect no college sports in the fall. Professional sports with paid players will play before college sports will. The one I am paying the most attention to right now is the PGA. if any sport in the US is likely to go first they make the most sense. It's an individual sport so its pretty easy to keep players separated. They play outdoors over a huge area. It is the one sport that could pretty easily play with no fans in person for at least a while. The first scheduled event up is the PGA Championship starting Aug 6. If that gets postponed, then trouble is a brewing in the sports world.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I will say one thing though. College sports will not be the first sports back. There is no chance that college administrators with students and student athletes will take that risk. If there is no professional sports being played by mid-to-late July you can probably expect no college sports in the fall. Professional sports with paid players will play before college sports will. The one I am paying the most attention to right now is the PGA. if any sport in the US is likely to go first they make the most sense. It's an individual sport so its pretty easy to keep players separated. They play outdoors over a huge area. It is the one sport that could pretty easily play with no fans in person for at least a while. The first scheduled event up is the PGA Championship starting Aug 6. If that gets postponed, then trouble is a brewing in the sports world.

I would say that PGA golf is one sport that could be played with very little if any risk without fans. The players could be separated by more than six feet the entire time. The only person they would need to get close to would be the caddies. Many of the tour professional fly private. The only ones who would really have any risk would be the newer or lesser known professionals who might have to travel commercial.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
@RamblinRed I was with you until you got to California. Nobody cares if the PAC-whatever has a football season or not. Not sure anyone cares if they have a basketball season either.
Strange comment when the ACC was literally worse than the AAC last year. More people care about USC having a football season than they do about most of the ACC combined

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@RamblinRed I was with you until you got to California. Nobody cares if the PAC-whatever has a football season or not. Not sure anyone cares if they have a basketball season either.

The issue is this.
The state of CA has 4 NFL teams (soon to be 3), 4 NBA teams, 5 MLB teams, 4 Power Conference teams (all in one conference). If they choose to say no go, then all those leagues are basically up the creek.

It happened to the NCAA with the Name Image Likeness Issue. CA decided to attack it themselves and the NCAA fell into line because it couldn't afford not to. Same thing could happen this fall.

When one state is home to so many franchises and schools and also happens to be responsible for 1/7 of the US GDP, it is going to have an outsize say in how things move forward.

Ultimately, the decision on college sports is going to be made by this committe that the NCAA is setting up. I think the NCAA is very unlikely to allow one area to play and another not to play. It will be either everyone plays, or no one plays. So what the decision makers think outside our region is very important.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Strange comment when the ACC was literally worse than the AAC last year. More people care about USC having a football season than they do about most of the ACC combined
Do you know anyone that watched a PAC-whatever vs PAC-whatever football game last year? Nobody stays up to watch Cal play UCLA or USC unless they’re playing Notre Dame but those games are always at 3:30.

The issue is this.
The state of CA has 4 NFL teams (soon to be 3), 4 NBA teams, 5 MLB teams, 4 Power Conference teams (all in one conference). If they choose to say no go, then all those leagues are basically up the creek.

It happened to the NCAA with the Name Image Likeness Issue. CA decided to attack it themselves and the NCAA fell into line because it couldn't afford not to. Same thing could happen this fall.

When one state is home to so many franchises and schools and also happens to be responsible for 1/7 of the US GDP, it is going to have an outsize say in how things move forward.

Ultimately, the decision on college sports is going to be made by this committe that the NCAA is setting up. I think the NCAA is very unlikely to allow one area to play and another not to play. It will be either everyone plays, or no one plays. So what the decision makers think outside our region is very important.
This is different than the legal precedent that will be settled in the courts regarding compensation or something like CAFE standards. The SEC, Big 11, Big 8 or 9, etc will call the shots otherwise we may be getting what everyone’s been waiting for: the college football realignment. NFL-like conferences with NFL-like schedules playing for a title with a real 16 team playoff. There’s too much money in these big schools & make no mistake they see the handwriting on the wall with game attendance and nobody wants to see Wofford on their schedule except for Citadel, or Chatanooga.

We’re going to see playoff expansion at a minimum. I’m guessing 16 teams.

We’re going to see elimination of BS games. I’m thinking 10 game season- 8 conference games, 1 rivalry and 1 made for tv match up.

Long term- each of 4 mega conferences will have 16 teams. Top 2 in each half of their conference go to playoffs. 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc. First round would be a home game, last 4 games the major bowl format.

These BS bowls are going to die on the vine.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do you know anyone that watched a PAC-whatever vs PAC-whatever football game last year? Nobody stays up to watch Cal play UCLA or USC unless they’re playing Notre Dame but those games are always at 3:30.

This is different than the legal precedent that will be settled in the courts regarding compensation or something like CAFE standards. The SEC, Big 11, Big 8 or 9, etc will call the shots otherwise we may be getting what everyone’s been waiting for: the college football realignment. NFL-like conferences with NFL-like schedules playing for a title with a real 16 team playoff. There’s too much money in these big schools & make no mistake they see the handwriting on the wall with game attendance and nobody wants to see Wofford on their schedule except for Citadel, or Chatanooga.

We’re going to see playoff expansion at a minimum. I’m guessing 16 teams.

We’re going to see elimination of BS games. I’m thinking 10 game season- 8 conference games, 1 rivalry and 1 made for tv match up.

Long term- each of 4 mega conferences will have 16 teams. Top 2 in each half of their conference go to playoffs. 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc. First round would be a home game, last 4 games the major bowl format.

These BS bowls are going to die on the vine.
I know plenty of people that watched PAC 12 games. There were a helluva lot more premier PAC 12 games last year than ACC games.
The Orange Bowl was the least watched NY6 game, maybe because it included the always exciting 9-4 Virginia team.
The ACC championship game was the least watched P5 championship game by nearly 2 million. And only had 1 million more viewers than the AAC’s championship. Also included the only 3 loss team to play in its conference championship game in the P5+AAC.

I’m really not sure why you’re trying to insist people don’t care about west coast football. California and the west coast in general is going to play a huge role in when professional and college sports are able to go back to normal. There’s too much money involved in those programs and franchises for it to not matter. I also think your assumption about going to an NFL like schedule is pretty insane, at least for the foreseeable future. Why would they reduce the schedule and bowl games? Less games = less money. If anything they’ll expand the schedule, and somehow play more bowl games. Maybe take a walk outside. Seems like this quarantine stuff is getting to you.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I know plenty of people that watched PAC 12 games. There were a helluva lot more premier PAC 12 games last year than ACC games.
The Orange Bowl was the least watched NY6 game, maybe because it included the always exciting 9-4 Virginia team.
The ACC championship game was the least watched P5 championship game by nearly 2 million. And only had 1 million more viewers than the AAC’s championship. Also included the only 3 loss team to play in its conference championship game in the P5+AAC.

I’m really not sure why you’re trying to insist people don’t care about west coast football. California and the west coast in general is going to play a huge role in when professional and college sports are able to go back to normal. There’s too much money involved in those programs and franchises for it to not matter. I also think your assumption about going to an NFL like schedule is pretty insane, at least for the foreseeable future. Why would they reduce the schedule and bowl games? Less games = less money. If anything they’ll expand the schedule, and somehow play more bowl games. Maybe take a walk outside. Seems like this quarantine stuff is getting to you.
I’m sure there were games & I’m sure there were a few that watched them. I’m not comparing the ACC to the PAC. The SEC, Big 10/11 and the Big 12/8 are where the fans and money are & in the end will dictate what college football looks like. The couple of teams worth watching on occasion out there- USC when they’re relevant, Oregon, sometimes Stanford & Washington will fall either into the fold of whatever the big money conferences decide or not. Not many people will care one way or the other. Same goes for the ACC and the other small money conferences.

The small bowl games will perish because there’s not money to sustain them. It is all going to be about advertisement dollars. The big conferences will make more money by an expanded playoff with the top teams playing than they’ll ever do watching Northern Illinois face off against FAU.

In the end the less powerful conferences are going to get hammered. We’ll see if the PAC with their Rose Bowl as their only selling point can remain relevant. At the moment the ACC only has Clempson for any real leverage.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure there were games & I’m sure there were a few that watched them. I’m not comparing the ACC to the PAC. The SEC, Big 10/11 and the Big 12/8 are where the fans and money are & in the end will dictate what college football looks like. The couple of teams worth watching on occasion out there- USC when they’re relevant, Oregon, sometimes Stanford & Washington will fall either into the fold of whatever the big money conferences decide or not. Not many people will care one way or the other. Same goes for the ACC and the other small money conferences.

The small bowl games will perish because there’s not money to sustain them. It is all going to be about advertisement dollars. The big conferences will make more money by an expanded playoff with the top teams playing than they’ll ever do watching Northern Illinois face off against FAU.

In the end the less powerful conferences are going to get hammered. We’ll see if the PAC with their Rose Bowl as their only selling point can remain relevant. At the moment the ACC only has Clempson for any real leverage.
Small bowl games are all about advertisement dollars. Why do you think there’s so many of them? So many of them exist because they’re so profitable due to broadcast advertisements. If you can get 1 million people to watch Northern Illinois play FAU at 2 in the afternoon on a December weekday, you’re not going to do away with that system. The CFP is probably going to expand at some point, but when it does, the rest of the bowl games aren’t going away. There’s no reason for them to. Guess who owns most of the lower tier bowls? ESPN. They don’t own the broadcast rights... they own the entire bowl. They’re the ones making money from the advertisement dollars you say there’s none of. So if they aren’t profitable like you say, why do they keep expanding?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
My guy, do you understand if one person is sick on a field then everyone on that field is going to get sick? Plus all the personnel to put on a game? No chance. Sorry.

I'm not your guy, buddy!

Lets think about what constitutes a "Sport"...at the least... golf courses around the nation are still open. If you think professional golf is not going to start back up before a vaccine is released, I believe you are mistaken.

I do think there will be measures in place to screen contestants of any sport and IF a person is sick then there would be a hiatus for several weeks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...-us-on-the-2020-syracuse-football-season.html
ABC/ESPN broadcaster Chris Fowler, the sport’s lead play-by-play voice, was the latest to offer his insight Monday, citing conversations with key figures appraised of what’s on the table.

Three scenarios were laid out in a video posted to his Instagram account.

1. The season starts on time

For this to happen, Fowler believes clarity must be had by the end of May as it pertains to college campuses opening back up. That’s an aggressive timeline, he said.

2. The season is delayed into the fall

Fowler is skeptical of a delayed or shortened season given the concerns of the virus returning in late autumn when the weather turns cold in the Northeast and across the Midwest. Starting up, only to shut down, would be disastrous.

3. The season is pushed back to the spring semester

Fowler said this scenario is “gaining momentum." The thinking goes like this: More should be known about containing the spread by then, and it limits the financial havoc a lost season would wreak on athletic departments across the country.