The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If they force the people to stay in their homes too much longer i really think there will start to be rioting all over the country and i can't say i would blame them.:cigar:

I can see happening what you, and others in immediately above posts to yours, say.

And I can not in any fashion blame any for caring about the issues talked about.

The Constitution, Bill of Rights, the right of the people to assemble, freedom of worship. Not to include the mental and self worth aspects of people not being able to work, etc. But the Rights you referenced have been paid for with the deaths of Many Americans - and not from a virus.

And yet, yesterday morning, I learned a neighbor of my step mother had put off going to the hospital when she had a slight fever, aches, diarrhea. The next morning it worsened and as her husband was backing the car out of the driveway to go to ER she died right there. It was almost 6 hours before the coroner got there and apparently the police would not allow the remains to be moved from the car in the driveway until then. You can imagine what transpired. HazMat came out and went through the house.

Just horrific for all.

But, as a people, I do not think we will stand by and let little power hungry jerks like some of these governors rule the day.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Back when we didn’t know, and we thought C19 might be as deadly as Ebola and more contagious, we were fearful and looked to the “experts”.

Now that it’s pretty clear that, unless you are pretty old and/or have a serious issue with obesity or hypertension, then your odds of being ok are very high, we need to be at a place of: If you are still fearful and don’t want to go to a restaurant, concert, or ballgame, then don’t go. If you feel comfortable doing so, then you should be free to make that choice, too. There are going to be many people who will remain in the former camp. Their psyches have been really rocked by this. I don’t really know how to help those people overcome, except for others to lead the way and show them that it’s ok to venture back out; that you can do it and you’ll be ok.

I’ll pass on getting extremely sick regardless if I have a good chance of surviving. Again, for college football students are going to have to be on campus. I can tell you as of today that the University of Pittsburgh is going online for the fall, so there will not be Pitt football. Feel free to believe me or not but other ACC schools are going to follow suit.

I’ll pass on getting extremely sick regardless if I have a good chance of surviving. Again, for college football students are going to have to be on campus. I can tell you as of today that the University of Pittsburgh is going online for the fall, so there will not be Pitt football. Feel free to believe me or not but other ACC schools are going to follow suit.
Interesting about Pitt, but regardless of Fall classes, the fact that there will be no summer classes means no athletes will be allowed on campuses, which means no summer practices.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
:rolleyes: I guess you didn’t actually read that article the CDC published where you came up with just over 13k deaths. The US death count is over 35k right now. The CDC literally said in their article that their numbers would be behind because they’re based on official death certificates that take time to be received.

Over 10,000 people died from C-19 this week alone. Over 35,000 in the 8 weeks since the first reported case. The oft-sited 17-18 flu had 60,000 deaths over an entire year, and never more than 4,000 deaths in one weeks. That’s without any local or national mitigation policies. We’ve been on basically total lockdown for 3 weeks, and still 10,000 are dying every week, and that number is going up.

Sorry to tell you, it’s not up to the people whether they give up football or not. Because guess what, athletes are people too. Now, is there only a very small percentage of athletes who would be at serious risk because of C-19. Yes. But there’s a lot of data that shows permanent lung damage after recovery in mostly healthy people. Even if athletes don’t die or have permanent damage, they would have the potential to give it to someone they care about who might.
The statistics are so skewed it’s ridiculous though. Yes, more people are dying more quickly...because no one had seen this virus before. Doesn’t mean it will sweep through the country and kill millions. Could just mean that you see a year worth of deaths for something like the flu in a month or two.

Everyone is reading what politicians and epidemiologists are saying, but not statisticians. The former are extremely biased. One group focuses on worst case scenario, while the other will do what they can to get elected. Go check out what some of the stats guys are saying. Models based on the little data we do have are showing that way more people have already been sick and recovered than are being reported...like possibly 50 to 80 times more people. When you factor that in the death rates are not nearly as bad as being published. It’s tragic man, but we are going to have to let everyone out and just roll with the punches. There’s not a magic solution to this problem. And it’s not like the situation now is making everything ok. It’s causing more harm to more people than the virus itself. Hawaii has 32% unemployment right now. Think about that for a second. What does that look like if the lower 48 reach that number? For reference go back and look at pictures and videos from the 30’s. That’s where we are headed quickly.

Let people live their lives. Including football players, coaches, and fans.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The statistics are so skewed it’s ridiculous though. Yes, more people are dying more quickly...because no one had seen this virus before. Doesn’t mean it will sweep through the country and kill millions. Could just mean that you see a year worth of deaths for something like the flu in a month or two.

Everyone is reading what politicians and epidemiologists are saying, but not statisticians. The former are extremely biased. One group focuses on worst case scenario, while the other will do what they can to get elected. Go check out what some of the stats guys are saying. Models based on the little data we do have are showing that way more people have already been sick and recovered than are being reported...like possibly 50 to 80 times more people. When you factor that in the death rates are not nearly as bad as being published. It’s tragic man, but we are going to have to let everyone out and just roll with the punches. There’s not a magic solution to this problem. And it’s not like the situation now is making everything ok. It’s causing more harm to more people than the virus itself. Hawaii has 32% unemployment right now. Think about that for a second. What does that look like if the lower 48 reach that number? For reference go back and look at pictures and videos from the 30’s. That’s where we are headed quickly.

Let people live their lives. Including football players, coaches, and fans.
1 soccer game played in Italy after the virus was confirmed to be in Italy is likely the biggest reason why the virus absolutely mangled Italy. https://time.com/5809848/game-zero-soccer-game-italy/
Can some of the country re-open relatively soon? Sure. More shops and restaurants will be able to open, but there’s absolutely no reason why stadiums of tens of thousands of people should be opened. The entire culture of American sports mean interacting with other. The article I linked mentions how fans from the visiting Spanish team made the trip, fans went to bars after the game, and then they went to work. That’s the recipe for disaster with this virus. I think people are forgetting the entire purpose of mitigation. It’s to limit the stress out on hospitals. The more people that have C-19 that need to be hospitalized, the more people who haven’t contracted it are at risk. Hundreds of healthcare workers in the U.S. have died from it already, thousands across the world. Treating a mass overload of C-19 patients means people who have had heart attacks, strokes, accidents, and other tragedies that require them to go to the hospital will potentially receive less that standard care because there simply aren’t enough supplies to go around as of now. Mitigation isn’t about keeping people away from the virus because it’s so dangerous to them directly. It’s about keeping masses of people away from it because it’s so much more dangerous to society.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
1 soccer game played in Italy after the virus was confirmed to be in Italy is likely the biggest reason why the virus absolutely mangled Italy. https://time.com/5809848/game-zero-soccer-game-italy/
Can some of the country re-open relatively soon? Sure. More shops and restaurants will be able to open, but there’s absolutely no reason why stadiums of tens of thousands of people should be opened. The entire culture of American sports mean interacting with other. The article I linked mentions how fans from the visiting Spanish team made the trip, fans went to bars after the game, and then they went to work. That’s the recipe for disaster with this virus. I think people are forgetting the entire purpose of mitigation. It’s to limit the stress out on hospitals. The more people that have C-19 that need to be hospitalized, the more people who haven’t contracted it are at risk. Hundreds of healthcare workers in the U.S. have died from it already, thousands across the world. Treating a mass overload of C-19 patients means people who have had heart attacks, strokes, accidents, and other tragedies that require them to go to the hospital will potentially receive less that standard care because there simply aren’t enough supplies to go around as of now. Mitigation isn’t about keeping people away from the virus because it’s so dangerous to them directly. It’s about keeping masses of people away from it because it’s so much more dangerous to society.
Maybe, but maybe not. Meanwhile it’s safe for everyone to go to grocery stores? Literally the one place that everyone is going now? It just doesn’t make much sense. Either people can’t get close to each other or they can. One infected person goes to a store three times during their 14 day incubation period is still spreading the disease to others. And then those have 14 days, and so on. What I’m getting at is that the stadiums may make it spread a little faster, but it’s going to spread either way. And quite honestly I think the cat’s already out of the bag and the mass spread already occurred. Now it’d be nice to verify that somehow with an antibody test to make everyone feel better about it...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Lmao stop believing these reports. Just listen out loud to what you just said.
Reading news headlines right now is comical. One day I was reading back to back financial articles saying things like, “market has recovered!” followed by, “worst is still ahead of us!”

The stuff on the medical side is even worse. Some articles say, “No proof that antibodies provide immunity!” Really? Well...then I hate to be the voice of reason, but if that’s true it’s over...humanity, that is

Back to football. The reality guys is that they have to play or 95% of the Athletic programs will go bankrupt. There may not be fans, but I have a feeling the games will be played. Football players will be on campus before general student body, with the option of not showing up if they’re worried. Some conferences may cancel, but I’m guessing 4 of the 5 Power 5 will play.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lmao stop believing these reports. Just listen out loud to what you just said.
South Korea could trace nearly 1/3 of all of their cases back to 1 person. They have policies in place to identify anyone who tests positive, track their location, and publish reports about it. That’s a face. I’m not sure why you think it’s unbelievable that 40,000 people being in one general area could result in a huge outbreak. Whether or not you choose to believe anything you see in the media is your choice. But don’t be ignorant about it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
South Korea could trace nearly 1/3 of all of their cases back to 1 person. They have policies in place to identify anyone who tests positive, track their location, and publish reports about it. That’s a face. I’m not sure why you think it’s unbelievable that 40,000 people being in one general area could result in a huge outbreak. Whether or not you choose to believe anything you see in the media is your choice. But don’t be ignorant about it.
That’s not a very ground breaking statement. The world could technically trace all of their cases back to one person if they had the data. Doesn’t mean that it hasn’t already infected many more people than reported.

Play the games! At the very least do so without fans.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but maybe not. Meanwhile it’s safe for everyone to go to grocery stores? Literally the one place that everyone is going now? It just doesn’t make much sense. Either people can’t get close to each other or they can. One infected person goes to a store three times during their 14 day incubation period is still spreading the disease to others. And then those have 14 days, and so on. What I’m getting at is that the stadiums may make it spread a little faster, but it’s going to spread either way. And quite honestly I think the cat’s already out of the bag and the mass spread already occurred. Now it’d be nice to verify that somehow with an antibody test to make everyone feel better about it...
Dude you go to the store, you wear a mask and gloves ideally if you have it. Most importantly of all, you can stand far away from people. As far as games go (what this thread is about) think about stadium seating. Think about when people get drunk and stop practicing proper distancing and hygiene. Going grocery shopping is to get food, you can't get away from that.

I want the economy open as soon as possible as well. I'm just as worried about lay offs and unemployment, but this virus isn't a joke. As stated previously, all of these lockdown measures are more so to keep our hospitals from being overrun. Some have also said only a certain portion of the population is at risk, yes that's true and those are the people we most need to do this for. The hospitals need to be available for those people who cannot handle the virus and get exponentially worse.

Some of the posts I'm seeing here remind me of all the anti vaccine parents in Washington State.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Dude you go to the store, you wear a mask and gloves ideally if you have it. Most importantly of all, you can stand far away from people. As far as games go (what this thread is about) think about stadium seating. Think about when people get drunk and stop practicing proper distancing and hygiene. Going grocery shopping is to get food, you can't get away from that.

I want the economy open as soon as possible as well. I'm just as worried about lay offs and unemployment, but this virus isn't a joke. As stated previously, all of these lockdown measures are more so to keep our hospitals from being overrun. Some have also said only a certain portion of the population is at risk, yes that's true and those are the people we most need to do this for. The hospitals need to be available for those people who cannot handle the virus and get exponentially worse.

Some of the posts I'm seeing here remind me of all the anti vaccine parents in Washington State.

You’re right, this virus is no joke....for certain people. That’s always the case.

It’s also the case that many, many more people have mild cases, and many people are totally asymptomatic. The overwhelming majority get it and recover.

Think about the concerts and ballgames you’ve been to in your life. Do you have any way to know the health status of all those people you were crammed in next to? Who knows what some of them may have had at the time.

Life is full of risks. I believe, and it’s just my opinion, that this is one not worth continuing to shut ourselves in our homes for.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

What you’re saying is similar to saying destroy millions of lives for the sake of thousands of lives...it’s not that simple, but the consequences of what’s going on right now are not trivial.

No one is anti vaccine. That’s crazy. But be realistic man and quit ignoring the real consequences of this shutdown.

Regarding the stadium...not sure what you’re worried about. No one has sat within five seats of my family at most Tech games for several years now.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I had a conversation a couple of days ago with some Dwag fans. One told me that the NCAA was studying and evaluating the possibility of playing the upcoming collegiate football season with empty stadiums and had reached out to Georgia Tech for advice.

(Even I chuckled at that one.)