The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I'm not your guy, buddy!

Lets think about what constitutes a "Sport"...at the least... golf courses around the nation are still open. If you think professional golf is not going to start back up before a vaccine is released, I believe you are mistaken.

I do think there will be measures in place to screen contestants of any sport and IF a person is sick then there would be a hiatus for several weeks.

I’m keeping the receipts on this one

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Only the liberal media who are trying to destroy football as a violent male predilection, are pushing to cancel the upcoming season. Unless there is some dramatic re spread of the virus, toe will meet leather as always come the 2020 season.

Go Jackets!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Man, if people think attendance will still struggle if the season starts on time, imagine a noon game in Big 10 MAC or Mountain West county in February!
If the concern about the virus returning late fall happens, which most likely will, I hope the schools, ncaa etc can find a way to get SA on campus in July and start the season in August.
Never going to happen. Many schools have already announced they’ll be closed through July into August. Plus, there’s no way teams would be ready to play after missing all of spring and summer camps with only 1 month to prepare. The season getting pushed back and the schedule shortened is 1000x more likely to happen than it being moved up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Small bowl games are all about advertisement dollars. Why do you think there’s so many of them? So many of them exist because they’re so profitable due to broadcast advertisements. If you can get 1 million people to watch Northern Illinois play FAU at 2 in the afternoon on a December weekday, you’re not going to do away with that system. The CFP is probably going to expand at some point, but when it does, the rest of the bowl games aren’t going away. There’s no reason for them to. Guess who owns most of the lower tier bowls? ESPN. They don’t own the broadcast rights... they own the entire bowl. They’re the ones making money from the advertisement dollars you say there’s none of. So if they aren’t profitable like you say, why do they keep expanding?
It’s my opinion, but I think we’re going to see a seismic shift in the national landscape. I believe that at game attendance will eventually result in lower tv ratings. For example, the mutts Sugar bowl had 15,000 less tickets sold than normal. That’s about $2.25M plus let’s say another $750k for a $3m drop in revenue. There’s about 75 mins of commercials in an average bowl game & at $100k/min for a major bowl game that’s $7.5M. Normal attendance might garner $13-14M between the gate & concessions for a total of $20-21M to be divvied up. Even a $3M hit is substantial there however & that was before coronavirus. What’s your revenue for the Cherrytart Boca Bowl? Not much and your revenues may equal expenses. In the past schools may prefer to attend to get extra practices, etc that comes with a low tier bowl but now I think you’re going to get athletic departments under financial duress not wanting to take a $500k hit to attend the www.suckhindtit.com bowl.

Maybe you’re right and the beat goes on. I think there’s more fiscal damage going on than anyone wants to admit right now & you’re under-assessing the potential impacts. We might even see weaker football teams completely fold & financially wobbly conferences go under.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

1. Nothing good will be decided by the end of May, only more delay. China expects a resurgence of the virus. Hope they are wrong.

2. Crazy talk about hot and cold weather affecting this virus. Current outbreak in Mecca isn't in cold weather. Neither are a bunch of other places. This isn't the flu.

3. Can't have football interfering with baseball :). Sacrilegious. Spring and fall football? Unfortunately, I think this is most likely of the three. But there are worse options than these.

All we can do is take it day by day. The resurgence or non-resurgence of the virus is big. As is determining whether antibodies and immunity comes with being infected and "recovering" once.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Chris Fowler comments in that article are interesting because they lead me to believe that football this fall is pretty unlikely.
by the time they have to make decisions on the fall they aren't going to know how well any recovery is going as we likely won't even have opened up in any significant way, and the likelihood of their being additional waves is very high given what is happening in Asia right now, so not getting a full season in the fall is a real possibility.

if they really want to get more than a partial season in the only way that is happening is going to be postponing to the spring.

Keep in mind that what the ACC or SEC want to do about this is not the be all, end all. This is going to be a national decision by the NCAA on whether it is safe for any college sports to proceed this fall. So unless all parts of the country are in agreement that it is safe fall college sports are not happening (that's why i say pay attention to CA).
The CA Gov gave instructions to school districts in the state to start preparing for a fall with some social distancing rules (possibly dividing up students between morning and afternoon sessions, or alternate days of attending school, changing plans for recess and lunch - different plans to try to limit how many people in one area at one time).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article with Dr. Fauci on the possible return of sports this summer.
His basic comments are that they can likely return if you plan without fans in the stands and have the players quarantined and tested every week.
https://www.cbssports.com/general/n...ld-return-this-summer-without-fans-in-venues/

Also, reading the Golf schedule. It sounds like they expect to have the schedule change as they start to see the regulations that are inacted by states and cities. It also mentions that most if not all the tournaments would likely be without fans in attendance.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Do you know anyone that watched a PAC-whatever vs PAC-whatever football game last year? Nobody stays up to watch Cal play UCLA or USC unless they’re playing Notre Dame but those games are always at 3:30.

This is different than the legal precedent that will be settled in the courts regarding compensation or something like CAFE standards. The SEC, Big 11, Big 8 or 9, etc will call the shots otherwise we may be getting what everyone’s been waiting for: the college football realignment. NFL-like conferences with NFL-like schedules playing for a title with a real 16 team playoff. There’s too much money in these big schools & make no mistake they see the handwriting on the wall with game attendance and nobody wants to see Wofford on their schedule except for Citadel, or Chatanooga.

We’re going to see playoff expansion at a minimum. I’m guessing 16 teams.

We’re going to see elimination of BS games. I’m thinking 10 game season- 8 conference games, 1 rivalry and 1 made for tv match up.

Long term- each of 4 mega conferences will have 16 teams. Top 2 in each half of their conference go to playoffs. 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc. First round would be a home game, last 4 games the major bowl format.

These BS bowls are going to die on the vine.
... I actually watch a lot of PAC games. It may be due to I am young enough to be up past 10pm, but I enjoy PAC 12 football as much as a bottom barrel ACC game of wake forest and syracuse.

Absolutes make people look dumb