The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

Good/bad news on playing. South Carolina’s campus (for example) is now up to 600 cases. (Bad news). The good news is that almost everybody was asymptomatic and nobody has even gotten sick yet. Which is also the bad news - these rascals know at this age it’s largely a “who cares” so the party keeps rolling. I think universities are going to continue to have a huge pressure on them to keep the student athletes clean while the rest of the schools party on.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of people have said that they thought the other three conferences would cancel eventually. Some people still say that. There is absolutely no evidence to support it.
What kind of evidence would you expect to find? Based on pretty much every national outlet the expectation was that after the Big10 announced that was the end of college football for the fall. They were clearly wrong but that has no bearing on what the Big10 thought. Could be why they seemed so shocked at the pushback they have received.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good/bad news on playing. South Carolina’s campus (for example) is now up to 600 cases. (Bad news). The good news is that almost everybody was asymptomatic and nobody has even gotten sick yet. Which is also the bad news - these rascals know at this age it’s largely a “who cares” so the party keeps rolling. I think universities are going to continue to have a huge pressure on them to keep the student athletes clean while the rest of the schools party on.

As of yesterday, UofAL was reporting over 1000 new cases among its student population since school started back. I guess one other positive is that if these young adults are not interacting with their parents or grandparents or aunts/uncles. But, having this many new cases at all the universities will affect the rest of the more vulnerable population. Just frustrating.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

When my daughter was in graduate school in Columbia, she was dumbfounded. "Daddy" says she, "I thought college students partied on weekends" "Sweetie" says I, "That is because you went to Berry and they are strictly amateurs compared to professional party schools like Carolina."

Deleted member 2897

0 cases in GT athletics in the last 2 weeks. ZERO.

Meanwhile, the student population is up to 650 cases (Alabama is over 1200). More proof as we’ve all been saying here we here the real risks are. If we were genuinely worried about severe risks of contracting COVID,we wouldn’t have kids on campus.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Meanwhile, the student population is up to 650 cases (Alabama is over 1200). More proof as we’ve all been saying here we here the real risks are. If we were genuinely worried about severe risks of contracting COVID,we wouldn’t have kids on campus.

Leadership knew this would happen, but the $$ and the politics to some degree were just too overwhelming not to try. But, I don't think it takes a genius to have seen this coming. Do they change course, or do they just let 50-75% of the population get the virus over the next month to 2 months and let the chips fall where they may? These are very difficult decisions.

LibertyTurns

Banned

It’s possible, more likely probable we’ve established the thresholds way too low on these rapid tests and the data’s not what everyone thinks it is since the inception/proliferation of the rapid tests. I’m really not sure why we don’t use the rapid tests to understand the possible pool of those infected, then perform the more lengthy and more accurate tests on just those people to determine if they’re actually infected. I’m seeing this at work. We’ve had the last 40+ people positive from the rapid tests immediately tested afterwards & zero have come back positive. Small sample size but explains a lot. The positive news is we’re getting them back to work in 2-3 days now instead of waiting 2+ weeks to finish an incubation period.

Deleted member 2897

Leadership knew this would happen, but the $$ and the politics to some degree were just too overwhelming not to try. But, I don't think it takes a genius to have seen this coming. Do they change course, or do they just let 50-75% of the population get the virus over the next month to 2 months and let the chips fall where they may? These are very difficult decisions.

Well we aren’t reading anything about students actually getting sick. So campus will have herd immunity at this rate within about 6-8 weeks without any health downsides if everything stays this way. And most importantly to the administration, they’ll be getting their tuition, dorm, and meal plan money.

Deleted member 2897

It’s possible, more likely probable we’ve established the thresholds way too low on these rapid tests and the data’s not what everyone thinks it is since the inception/proliferation of the rapid tests. I’m really not sure why we don’t use the rapid tests to understand the possible pool of those infected, then perform the more lengthy and more accurate tests on just those people to determine if they’re actually infected. I’m seeing this at work. We’ve had the last 40+ people positive from the rapid tests immediately tested afterwards & zero have come back positive. Small sample size but explains a lot. The positive news is we’re getting them back to work in 2-3 days now instead of waiting 2+ weeks to finish an incubation period.

I think when you roll all of this stuff up, this is why only about 10,000 deaths have been solely because of COVID. There are a lot of asymptomatic cases, a lot of false positives, and having bad underlying conditions is the big risk. Here is the CDC link to that 10,000 number by the way (they state it in death percentage terms: only 6% Of reported COVID deaths were solely because of COVID.) This is why it’s also difficult to impossible to compare data between countries - we are extremely aggressive with how we count and include data. It’s also why (I think) you get extremely different opinions between conferences, states, and even inside our own health organizations like the CDC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well we aren’t reading anything about students actually getting sick. So campus will have herd immunity at this rate within about 6-8 weeks without any health downsides if everything stays this way. And most importantly to the administration, they’ll be getting their tuition, dorm, and meal plan money.
Doesn't there have to be a case zero for each cluster? I think students are having symptoms, but just how sick is not clear.

Deleted member 2897

Doesn't there have to be a case zero for each cluster? I think students are having symptoms, but just how sick is not clear.

A lot of universities require testing when you arrive at campus. Those people mixing at parties and what-not before getting their result back were probably the case zeros (my assumption). I know some places like Alabama had well over 100 positive cases just from their entry testing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think when you roll all of this stuff up, this is why only about 10,000 deaths have been solely because of COVID. There are a lot of asymptomatic cases, a lot of false positives, and having bad underlying conditions is the big risk. Here is the CDC link to that 10,000 number by the way (they state it in death percentage terms: only 6% Of reported COVID deaths were solely because of COVID.) This is why it’s also difficult to impossible to compare data between countries - we are extremely aggressive with how we count and include data. It’s also why (I think) you get extremely different opinions between conferences, states, and even inside our own health organizations like the CDC.

I understand the logic of these numbers, but there is also logic that many, many with pre-existing conditions would still be alive if not for the virus. I’m not saying more shutdowns are the way to go, because I don’t have an answer. I just don’t want to overestimate or UNDERestimate this tragedy for those families affected.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A lot of universities require testing when you arrive at campus. Those people mixing at parties and what-not before getting their result back were probably the case zeros (my assumption). I know some places like Alabama had well over 100 positive cases just from their entry testing.
The Alabama cases were from Aug 19 through this past Friday. All since the school opened on Aug 17. The university system recommended, but did not require, testing before arriving on campus. That first week they had over 500 new cases from a variety of clusters on and off campus. This is what prompted Saban to beg the students to follow the mask wearing and gathering rules. It is also why the mayor of Tuscaloosa closed the bars and restaurants with bar service. All this happened after classes started.

I agree with you re the case zero sources. Those people probably came to campus already positive.

Deleted member 2897

The Alabama cases were from Aug 19 through this past Friday. All since the school opened on Aug 17. The university system recommended, but did not require, testing before arriving on campus. That first week they had over 500 new cases from a variety of clusters on and off campus. This is what prompted Saban to beg the students to follow the mask wearing and gathering rules. It is also why the mayor of Tuscaloosa closed the bars and restaurants with bar service. All this happened after classes started.

I agree with you re the case zero sources. Those people probably came to campus already positive.

On their website, they track the positive cases by week and they had something like 150 cases in the column under the arrival/move-in tests. That’s a lot of people to then spread out across campus. What a mess.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On their website, they track the positive cases by week and they had something like 150 cases in the column under the arrival/move-in tests. That’s a lot of people to then spread out across campus. What a mess.
I agree. What a mess. Especially if those people who had tested positive before moving in were allowed to mingle with other students. But, according to this link they should not be moving in with other students. That said, this has little to do with the Alabama football team or, it seems, the SEC or ACC decisions to play. This is essentially being ignored by the conferences and universities.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2020/08/what-to-know-about-isolation-quarantine-protocols/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
maybe just FCS, but it is outstanding that football season has started!
Central Ark 24 Austin Peay 17
first play from scrimmage was an option for a 75 yd YD

If someone told me, back in January, that would I stay up until almost midnight watching Austin Peay play Central Arkansas, I would have bet my entire stock portfolio. Yet, there I was, glued to the game until the end. So, if any of you think I am not starved for football, ask my wife. She was stunned when I told her who was playing. I think the quote was, "That is weird. Are you really that bored?"

Deleted member 2897

If someone told me, back in January, that would I stay up until almost midnight watching Austin Peay play Central Arkansas, I would have bet my entire stock portfolio. Yet, there I was, glued to the game until the end. So, if any of you think I am not starved for football, ask my wife. She was stunned when I told her who was playing. I think the quote was, "That is weird. Are you really that bored?"

Were you also yelling “Let’s Go Peay!” ?