The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That particular post was in reference to ADs’ decisions. And yes football factors massively into their decisions. The revenue from football drives almost every decision an AD makes. So what AD at a power 5 conference would vote against football, when losing that revenue could mean massive cuts needed, which likely will eventually spill over into the football program, and maybe even resources to pay the ADs themselves? I think it’s pretty logical that ADs would be resistant/not vote to cut off their gravy train.
Especially given March Madness not happening last year and being shaky this year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I can't see March Madness being shaky at all for 2021 assuming a successful season
I don’t assume a successful season though. It’s possible, but if football struggles (which I expect) people are likely to have concerns about indoor games even more so. Throw in the longer schedule and more involved travel and I don’t know for sure that we will have a regular regular season in basketball

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t assume a successful season though. It’s possible, but if football struggles (which I expect) people are likely to have concerns about indoor games even more so. Throw in the longer schedule and more involved travel and I don’t know for sure that we will have a regular regular season in basketball
I am much more nervous about basketball. The NCAA and conferences are discussing bubbles and maybe that works somewhat. Two games a week in 2021 will be hard to manage and still keep everyone safe. I could envision 8-9 bubble weekends in the ACC where 3, 4 or 5 (maybe even 6) teams meet in one city and have 2-3 games each on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The conference could lock in an entire hotel and keep it isolated. Would the quality of the games be the same? Probably not. Fatigue might be an issue late Sunday.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I am much more nervous about basketball. The NCAA and conferences are discussing bubbles and maybe that works somewhat. Two games a week in 2021 will be hard to manage and still keep everyone safe. I could envision 8-9 bubble weekends in the ACC where 3, 4 or 5 (maybe even 6) teams meet in one city and have 2-3 games each on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The conference could lock in an entire hotel and keep it isolated. Would the quality of the games be the same? Probably not. Fatigue might be an issue late Sunday.

This would be an interesting idea of it was done. I'm not sure about fatigue being a strong factor though. This student-athletes are a few years removed from AAU tournaments, where they played 3 games in pool play (one of Friday, 1-2 on Saturday, maybe one on Sunday) then 1-2 games for the championship round. These players are probably in the best shape of their lives. Maybe this would encourage coaches to go deeper in their bench if they played 3-4 games over a weekend.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have not heard of a single football team in the Big10 cutting back yet. I would be extremely surprised if they did, considering they are looking at playing either later this year or after the turn of the year.

If your caveat is FOOTBALL staff, then mot schools haven't cut core staff. These athletic staffers support football as well as other sports and are being let go. Just like a HC is responsible for offense and defense, the AD is responsible for all these people, and football pays them whether they coach it or not.

Deleted member 2897

If your caveat is FOOTBALL staff, then mot schools haven't cut core staff. These athletic staffers support football as well as other sports and are being let go. Just like a HC is responsible for offense and defense, the AD is responsible for all these people, and football pays them whether they coach it or not.

Yep, I’ve seen lots of news like that...going back months now. Sad.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

It could be argued that there has been a public attempt to shame them into not playing for the sake of politics as well, but point taken

It’s not shaming them into playing over politics. It’s getting them to acknowledge the actual science. Playing football, as we have now seen over the last few weeks, pales in comparison to the dangers of regular college life in terms of disease spread. I think (hope) the school Presidents may be finally starting to realize that.

Hopefully when the dust settles from all this, they will fire all of the lawyers and snake oil salesmen that have been giving them such bad advice and never listen to them again.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It could be argued that there has been a public attempt to shame them into not playing for the sake of politics as well, but point taken
What evidence is there that the original decision to postpone the season was politically motivated?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It’s not shaming them into playing over politics. It’s getting them to acknowledge the actual science. Playing football, as we have now seen over the last few weeks, pales in comparison to the dangers of regular college life in terms of disease spread. I think (hope) the school Presidents may be finally starting to realize that.

Hopefully when the dust settles from all this, they will fire all of the lawyers and snake oil salesmen that have been giving them such bad advice and never listen to them again.
Why are you more informed than the college presidents who made the decision?

Deleted member 2897

Why are you more informed than the college presidents who made the decision?

Because I’m a scientist at heart and go by the data. It’s also comforting to know that multiple other conferences disagree with them, their players and athletic departments in the Big10 disagree with the Presidents, and the reasoning they’ve given publicly isn’t based on sound science either. (Remember a big part of their reasoning they said was a tiny study of a couple dozen 45 year olds in Germany.). We’ve also discussed this reasoning for many weeks now. I appreciate that they’re “worried about the risks”, but the risks haven’t been defined, despite having tons of data in front of us, and the risks certainly aren’t in the same zip code as many others like CTE. You know all this - we’ve been discussing it at length, but happy to document it again here. And with each passing day, seeing the situation on college campuses and the numbers and outcomes in sports teams, our reasoning is further and further justified.

Deleted member 2897

What evidence is there that the original decision to postpone the season was politically motivated?

I don’t think it was politically motivated. I think it was motivated based on fear is all. At least, based on why and what they’ve said publicly.