The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How does State justify postponing W1 outside the window for quarantining? They’re 3 weeks out. So if a team has a cluster of players quarantined they’re gonna cancel 3 games now?
It was relatively easy to move this game two weeks later when both teams had a bye. Nothing wrong with moving it to give extra time to ensure they are healthy.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It was relatively easy to move this game two weeks later when both teams had a bye. Nothing wrong with moving it to give extra time to ensure they are healthy.

It does mean that if the season is completed, VT will play 10 consecutive weeks which will increase the chances of injuries. It also is disconcerting that the schedule is already being modified when it hasn't even started yet.

Deleted member 2897

And the beat goes on.....

ECU Athletics
@ECUAthletics

·
38m

ECU Athletics Director Jon Gilbert announced today the football game against Marshall on September 12 in Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium will be postponed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

There is no detail in those articles as to why. So I’ll fill it in a bit - ECU has a COVID outbreak on campus including several clusters and upwards of like a dozen football players the last time I looked.

Today is the start of reseating. Did anyone on here qualify for today? I get to choose late Friday afternoon, and just after a few hours today, I notice that the seats that were at the top of my list are already gone, although there still seem to be many 2-seat combos left throughout the stadium, including the upper east, where I have always sat.

Hope you get something decent. Looking like slim pickings for me on the morning of 9/1. May have to opt out till next season.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Glad they are doing all of this, but it is really kind of scary that this is even necessary, but we all know it is.

"The updated report also specifies that every student-athlete who tests positive will undergo a cardiac evaluation that includes an electrocardiogram, a troponin test and an echocardiogram before a phased return to exercise."

Deleted member 2897

I like the independent-run test right before the game and the heart test before return to practice. I wouldn’t expect any cheating but better to be safe than sorry. And even though heart issues are like a needle in a haystack so far, there are a few, so might as well check. We do concession checks before players can return. Probably good to check the heart independent of COVID anyway.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-could-start-thanksgiving-weekend/5654578002/

Football, not safe enough to play outdoors in nice weather but safe enough to play indoors in the cold.
I am still nervous that we will not get very far into this season before things have to shut down again. When I read that article I see the B10 coaches and ADs hoping to convince their presidents that it's safe to play. Seeing the other conferences getting ready to play has to be hard to swallow. A lot will depend on these next few weeks.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like the independent-run test right before the game and the heart test before return to practice. I wouldn’t expect any cheating but better to be safe than sorry. And even though heart issues are like a needle in a haystack so far, there are a few, so might as well check. We do concession checks before players can return. Probably good to check the heart independent of COVID anyway.
What is a concession check? If you ate too many hot dogs.... you're out. :)

Deleted member 2897

What is a concession check? If you ate too many hot dogs.... you're out. :)

It’s when you’re an old fart who posts about concussions while not wearing his glasses and then it ends up being some stupid sh. :D. That does sound like a cool job though - Is love to do concession checks.