Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

I really liked this post -- "The biggest issue for Georgia's new DCs have been GT's in-game adjustments. UGA comes out prepared and takes care of it pretty well. Then GT makes some small shift (changing splits, pick on a different guy, etc.), and UGA's DC hasn't seen enough of it at that pace to counter. Players get frustrated, discipline goes out the window, and it all falls to pieces." I want to see more of that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know, one reason I post/read here is that we have so few of these pointless arguments.

I can detect one change here, however: the Fleabags seem to be a lot less sure of themselves then they were at the end of the last season. I agree that nobody really knows what either team has and nobody will have any idea until about half way through the 2nd quarter and they'll probably be wrong even then. Personally, I'm hoping that we look a bit smooth and that the game will be quite close. It could all come down to Brenton King. Who I sure hope turns out to be as good as his high school films.
I will say this, having been on the board several years but seeing up close and personal only about two games a year, the rest on cable: going from the board posts only, I read a lot fewer of the expected in-your-face, frustrated rants about showing those mutts a thing or two this year and a lot more thoughtful views of the rivalry, with what to me seems a more confident fan base. Beating 'em twice in the weeds over there and inexplicably throwing a couple away has worked wonders on us. I am not being critical of those type posts, just noting that a lot of that has been replaced by a much more quietly confident and assured tone. Meaning, I guess, that now when we talk about crushing the Dogs, we are not blowing smoke. It is why I want Georgia to be good every year. Bragging rights have to really mean something.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will say this, having been on the board several years but seeing up close and personal only about two games a year, the rest on cable: going from the board posts only, I read a lot fewer of the expected in-your-face, frustrated rants about showing those mutts a thing or two this year and a lot more thoughtful views of the rivalry, with what to me seems a more confident fan base. Beating 'em twice in the weeds over there and inexplicably throwing a couple away has worked wonders on us. I am not being critical of those type posts, just noting that a lot of that has been replaced by a much more quietly confident and assured tone. Meaning, I guess, that now when we talk about crushing the Dogs, we are not blowing smoke. It is why I want Georgia to be good every year. Bragging rights have to really mean something.

Agree with everything you said except the last part.

I want them to go 0-12 every. single. year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with everything you said except the last part.

I want them to go 0-12 every. single. year.
This one always baffles me. We play UGA in game 12 of 12 every year. Using extreme scenarios, which WIN over the dawgs would you prefer?:
1) The one that represents their 12th loss in a season? OR
2) The one that is THE LOSS that squashes their shot at a National championship or that next good post-season game? [Ill admit if it's their 1st loss (i.e. SEC East champ & 11-1 season), it would NOT kill their title hopes]

TRICKY....

Bottom line... I end up in a conflicted state. I never want them to win. But I want our win over them to break their hearts...somehow.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
This one always baffles me. We play UGA in game 12 of 12 every year. Using extreme scenarios, which WIN over the dawgs would you prefer?:
2) The one that is THE LOSS that squashes their shot at a National championship or that next good post-season game? [Ill admit if it's their 1st loss (i.e. SEC East champ & 11-1 season), it would NOT kill their title hopes]

TRICKY....

Bottom line... I end up in a conflicted state. I never want them to win. But I want our win over them to break their hearts...somehow.

Not tricky. I'd rather be their 12th loss every year. Piss on em.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

TRICKY....

It's a zero sum game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Understand the heartbreak aspect where ruining national championship hopes would be awesome but this is inherently an irrational fanbase. The only way to solve this issue is to have a couple generations of 0-3 wins and GT have a run of Top 10's.

That being said now that I'm dreaming of a winless mutt season, I've realized that opening up the fishwrap every Sunday morning to read about yet another mutt loss would be awesome. That would be followed by an off-season where all the barkers would be trying to figure out where THE win would come from the next year. Old mutt timers would be reminiscing about "back in the day" when they'd beat GT regularly. Could it get any better than that?

Either way just gimme that big GT win in game 12!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I really liked this post -- "The biggest issue for Georgia's new DCs have been GT's in-game adjustments. UGA comes out prepared and takes care of it pretty well. Then GT makes some small shift (changing splits, pick on a different guy, etc.), and UGA's DC hasn't seen enough of it at that pace to counter. Players get frustrated, discipline goes out the window, and it all falls to pieces." I want to see more of that.

Paul Johnson has seen it all. How many times have we seen the first quarter/half be painful as CPJ probed the defense? And then suddenly, yards begin to pile up and the opposing defense looks clueless.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
2) The one that is THE LOSS that squashes their shot at a National championship or that next good post-season game? [Ill admit if it's their 1st loss (i.e. SEC East champ & 11-1 season), it would NOT kill their title hope.

#2, by far. Nothing would rankle them more than being undisputed SEC champs, crushed by Tech, and kept out of the playoffs because there are simply better teams out there. An undefeated GT is ACC champ, de facto SEC champ, and wins it all, causing the sports mediaverse to blow up. The talking heads would capitulate, crowning the ACC the best conference in all of college football. The mutts would mope and the entire SEC would look down upon them. It would be the game, the year, that festered in every dwag and SEC fanboy's craw forever.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

TRICKY....

It would heavily depend on the situation for me. If we are in the conversation for playoffs, I'd like them to be as highly ranked as possible when we beat them, but not division champs (with the existing biases, an UGA team with 1 loss to GT but an SEC title might actually get higher ranking than and undefeated GT, especially if they ended up beating Alabama or something like that in the title game). If we're not in that conversation where rankings would actually matter, I'd LOVE to drive the final nail in an 0-12 season. I mean it'd never happen, since they schedule 3 tomato cans each year so 3-9 is generally their worst possible outcome, but it'd be glorious to watch.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely would take being their 12th loss. Look, uga recruits itself for the most part. But an 0-12 season would be so mind bogglingly embarrassing for that program that we'd have a much better chance at winning in-state recruits for years to come. They'd fire everyone. It'd be a massive panic. It'd be glorious.

Heck, if we didn't blow a 20 point lead in 2013 and if we showed up on offense in 2015, we'd own four in a row in that series. And, yes, I know how closely we won 2014 and 2016. But swinging the perception of our program compared to theirs is very important.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So, what do we know about UT's new OC?
He was their special team coordinator and tight ends coach last year. He worked under the previous OC whose prior job was sports administrator for Michigan Olympic sports.
Yes...Butch Jones previously hired the sports administrator of Michigan field hockey and cross country as his OC because he coached under him in the past. That really happened.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Wow, i was actually kind of worried about that, was under the impression that they had hired some badass OC away from somebody. So his off scheme should be somewhat based off the previous OC's scheme i guess?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I lean toward wanting the mutts to be good. Always just a step behind us. For starters beating them, which we haven't done enough of. After that...I'm ok with them winning the SEC so long as we win the ACC...AND beat them that year. Never want to see the mutts quite at eye level with us.

It would be sweet as hell to win the ACC and beat the SEC champ keeping the mutts out of the playoffs.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I lean toward wanting the mutts to be good. Always just a step behind us. For starters beating them, which we haven't done enough of. After that...I'm ok with them winning the SEC so long as we win the ACC...AND beat them that year. Never want to see the mutts quite at eye level with us.

It would be sweet as hell to win the ACC and beat the SEC champ keeping the mutts out of the playoffs.
I kinda agree with this sentiment. I'll never forget after the game in 2009 all I heard from mutts was that their worst team in 20 years beat our best team in the same time frame(they're not good at math).
Talk about an exciting gameday environment when it has playoff implications for both teams.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this except the last two sentences. Did not like them before, do not like them now, will not like them in the future. I will root for Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Auburn, Clemson, and anybody else you care to name that is playing Georgia. That's just the way it is.