Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I am starting to like Tennessee less and less until I can't dislike them more.

Well now, you would have fit right in back in the day. Dodd always considered Tennessee to be the biggest game of the year for him personally. (He was an All American quarterback at UT) Once he went up to Kim King and told him: "You know I played here " (Neyland Stadium in Knoxville) Kim recalled later that he knew right then how much it meant to Coach Dodd to beat Tennessee. In King's junior year Tennessee came to Grant Field ranked number 8 in the country and we upset them Tennessee and Georgia Tech was once one of the most storied rivalries in the SEC. Times and circumstances change but I still want to beat them. In 1956, they came to Grant Field still running the single wing (Tennessee was probably the last major college team to give up the single wing) and upset one of Dodd's most talented and best teams in a 6-0 slug fest. When General Neyland had his boys playing that old time Tennessee defense a touchdown lead was better than a pond full of catfish.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still don't know what "the business" really was but I can imagine it was um extracurricular in nature.
;) Lots of "things" happen in the pile where some guys think they can't be noticed. I remember a few years ago where an NCSU player was tossed from the game for having his hands inside our guys facemask.

Well now, you would have fit right in back in the day. Dodd always considered Tennessee to be the biggest game of the year for him personally. (He was an All American quarterback at UT) Once he went up to Kim King and told him: "You know I played here " (Neyland Stadium in Knoxville) Kim recalled later that he knew right then how much it meant to Coach Dodd to beat Tennessee. In King's junior year Tennessee came to Grant Field ranked number 8 in the country and we upset them Tennessee and Georgia Tech was once one of the most storied rivalries in the SEC. Times and circumstances change but I still want to beat them. In 1956, they came to Grant Field still running the single wing (Tennessee was probably the last major college team to give up the single wing) and upset one of Dodd's most talented and best teams in a 6-0 slug fest. When General Neyland had his boys playing that old time Tennessee defense a touchdown lead was better than a pond full of catfish.
That 56 game was once considered the best college football game of its era.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I saw the 6-3 game vs UT.It was simply the most exciting defensive game I've ever see.Getting 1st downs was an accomplishment.WJ Baine, Bill Middleton and the guys were ready that day.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I watched the 6-3 game as well. You don't see many games these days that have haven't scored more points in the first quarter. So long as we are ahead at the end of the game I will be happy. My hope is that this game will put Tech into the mind of both the sports writers and recruits as a team to watch as opposed to a reason to fire Butch. Having a good year and another strong recruiting class should set us up for many years of fun.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In case you thought CPJ had the market cornered on getting negative opinions/assessments from same-conference coaches (allegedly), check these out ....

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/SEC-coaches-comment-on-the-Tennessee-football-program-53032191
When you're in your fourth year and the defense is that bad, that ain't good. The thing about Tennessee this year, they don't have a quarterback, they don't have a running back, and for all those guys they've signed, I don't see any dominant, draftable players.
... Youch.
"A part of me says Butch Jones has done a good job. A part of me says no. I think he's too concerned with what the media says than doing his job. If you win, the media doesn't matter. If you lose, everything matters. I think he gets caught up in public opinion. I think he's an insecure guy.
... Como se dice, rabbit ears?
"Tennessee hasn't won 10 games (since 2007). No way they should go 10 years at Tennessee and not win 10-11 games. No way. That's an indictment on the coaches, the school, the president. You have the resources, the fan passion, the stadium, the financial commitment."
... Boom.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I spent the weekend up in the Great Smokey Mountains in the Gatlinburg area. As per usual, I was wearing GT gear. (Blue shirt so our fahionista @Supersizethatorder-mutt can yell at me later :D) To get back to my point, I had a LOT of UT fans speak to me about the upcoming game. What I learned from these conversations:

1. There are going to be a LOT of UT fans at that game. We need to show up big.
2. Most UT fans aren't quite as certain of the game as the message board fans. I had a lot of long-time fans tell me that, quite frankly, they are worried about playing GT. Now don't get me wrong, most were still fairly confident they could and would win, but this game really scares them.
3. They aren't as dissatisfied with their coach as the various football boards would have you believe. Most see progress and understand that rebuilding a program takes time and isn't easy. I honestly thought more people would be in the fir Butch Jones camp at this point, given typical $EC tendencies...
4. The subject of amputation at the knee cut blocks/chop blocks NEVER CAME UP. This also kind of surprised me.
5. Most expected a lower scoring game. Most predictions were in the 24-21 category at most. They aren't real confident in their offense right now, especially with a new QB.

Not that any of this matters, just thought I'd share.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I spent the weekend up in the Great Smokey Mountains in the Gatlinburg area. As per usual, I was wearing GT gear. (Blue shirt so our fahionista @Supersizethatorder-mutt can yell at me later :D) To get back to my point, I had a LOT of UT fans speak to me about the upcoming game.

I was at a cousins wedding north of Knoxville this weekend. My GT shirt was certainly a conversation starter. I thought I was used to VOL fandom after all of these years, but being the next opponent means interacting on a whole other level with them. I think everyone up there asked me about tickets to the game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I spent the weekend up in the Great Smokey Mountains in the Gatlinburg area. As per usual, I was wearing GT gear. (Blue shirt so our fahionista @Supersizethatorder-mutt can yell at me later :D) ......

I like blue a lot more too, it doesn't show the stains.

BTW gotta be careful in those mountains. I always thought the Deliverance movie could have been filmed in Tennessee or Georgia, producer's pick.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I watched the 6-3 game as well. You don't see many games these days that have haven't scored more points in the first quarter. So long as we are ahead at the end of the game I will be happy. My hope is that this game will put Tech into the mind of both the sports writers and recruits as a team to watch as opposed to a reason to fire Butch. Having a good year and another strong recruiting class should set us up for many years of fun.
I too remember that game fondly and agree with those who say it was one of the most exciting defensive football games one could ever watch live. A game of similar feel, and lower score, was the game that Notre Dame won 3-0 over LSU in 1970. In both games it was definitely not a case of sloppy offense, but extremely well played defense that caused the pressure to mount as the game wore on.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Since 2008, Tech is 70-48(.593). In that same period UT is 57-55 (.509) and is on their 4th head coach.

I am thinking we should be the ones to be embarrassed by being 4 point underdogs to these guys.

Your facts are indisputable Solicitor. However, you failed to take into account the enormous advantage accorded the Vols because of "SEC SPEED". That overrides everything else. That and habitual residence the Vols have in the top 20 recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's some new discussion from various SEC homer mouthbreathers about the game-

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/georgia-tech-vs-tennessee---am-i-crazy/70920657/

Holy crap, this was a useful fact:

If you lose to Georgia Tech, you aren't winning the East. That's just a fact of life. You can use Georgia's record against Tech as proof of that. Since 1992, UGA has lost to Georgia Tech 6 times. We've never won the East in any of those six seasons.

Add Kentucky and Vandy to that. Both lost to us and didn't win the SEC East in the past either.

It's true...GT is the SEC East champion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here's some new discussion from various SEC homer mouthbreathers about the game-

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/georgia-tech-vs-tennessee---am-i-crazy/70920657/
You know, one reason I post/read here is that we have so few of these pointless arguments.

I can detect one change here, however: the Fleabags seem to be a lot less sure of themselves then they were at the end of the last season. I agree that nobody really knows what either team has and nobody will have any idea until about half way through the 2nd quarter and they'll probably be wrong even then. Personally, I'm hoping that we look a bit smooth and that the game will be quite close. It could all come down to Brenton King. Who I sure hope turns out to be as good as his high school films.