Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Reading the Volnation boards, I have to laugh. Typical Volnation airheads.

My insiders tell me that Butch Jones has lost the support of his players. He is not a great game coach anyway, but has struggled to get the best performance out of his squad.

My guess? He will not have them ready and spooled up to play. This game's set up reminds me a lot of 1981's game in Birmingham against Bama. Which we won.
Or the 1982 GT-Tennessee game where GT ran over UT 31-21 a week after Tennessee beat #2 Alabama 35-28.;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
F tenn...

Win or lose I think many more Tech fans will feel the same post game...far more than they currently do pregame.

Verbatim from Tony Barnhart on The Rude Awakening 4/12/17:"I've spent the past two weeks up in Knoxville. They are scared of the matchups GT presents."
Tony Barnhart and Chris Landry have both openly said that in their time at UT there is noticeable concern for the upcoming matchup. I am cool with this kind of media, finally. Only thing that would sweeten the deal is if UGA wins the Fulmer Cup this year!

I wish Barnhart and Durham would restart their spring football roadshow again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you guys think Tre Swilling will allow himself to be Redshirted then you must have not had the opportunity to speak with him personally or in private like I have. He will find his butt on the field somehow I'm 100% sure of it.
Not doubting this, but in an interview he himself said something about being redshirted. Now of course the best will be on the field (I hope) but we have decent depth at DB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you guys think Tre Swilling will allow himself to be Redshirted then you must have not had the opportunity to speak with him personally or in private like I have. He will find his butt on the field somehow I'm 100% sure of it.
What would you rather have, a) a little used true freshman who barely sees the field or b) a fifth year senior stud who owns the entire defensive backfield? I'll take the fifth yr sr, especially when we have his spot covered well with veteran players.

I would have much rather had a 5th yr sr Laskey in '15 than the wasted true freshman Laskey.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What would you rather have, a) a little used true freshman who barely sees the field or b) a fifth year senior stud who owns the entire defensive backfield? I'll take the fifth yr sr, especially when we have his spot covered well with veteran players.

I would have much rather had a 5th yr sr Laskey in '15 than the wasted true freshman Laskey.
We will see. In my opinion becuase of his size and athleticism Tre is already a starter. That's just my opinion though. I'm not a coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We will see. In my opinion becuase of his size and athleticism Tre is already a starter. That's just my opinion though. I'm not a coach.
If a guy can help us win, by all means, play him. In order to do that, he has to beat out the guys in front of him. But playing guys early just for special teams is a mistake, imo. A talented guy doesn't need to burn an entire year of eligibility, his most productive year because it's the one on the backside, for 3 to 4 plays a game, most of which he's just sprinting down field and not even in the play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying, but imo he's not even the best CB coming in. He can turn out to be but he still has some work to do. Size is nice but idc about size if a smaller guy is producing better. Remember we still have Simmons and durham with decent size as well. If Tre does come in and beats out the other guys then I want him on the field of course. But we shouldn't look at Tre and say because of his size and athleticism he should be a starter when he hasn't played a single down of college football.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If a guy can help us win, by all means, play him. In order to do that, he has to beat out the guys in front of him. But playing guys early just for special teams is a mistake, imo. A talented guy doesn't need to burn an entire year of eligibility, his most productive year because it's the one on the backside, for 3 to 4 plays a game, most of which he's just sprinting down field and not even in the play.

Just too make sure folks see this again...

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure no one thought Dedrick Mills would be the clear starter after camp last year. But I agree with the consensus, you don't burn a redshirt unless they are at least in the 2 deep with a starting chance the following year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure no one thought Dedrick Mills would be the clear starter after camp last year. But I agree with the consensus, you don't burn a redshirt unless they are at least in the 2 deep with a starting chance the following year.

We burn redshirts for special teams every year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Amen, brother! If we had had Zack as a 5th year senior in 2015, we'd have won 8 - 9 games and he would have been all-ACC in a walk. His take-no-prisoners run style was exactly what that team lacked.

I know why we played him when he was a frosh, but it was a massive mistake in hindsight. Let's hope we don't make a similar one next year. And, btw, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordan-Swilling start at LB. I think putting him out there with Mitchell would make both of them better, sort of like Rogers and Brooking. But we'll see soon enough.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
33119306.jpg

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
:cool:;) Lol jk I think he does get a redshirt. If not, that means he beat out some playmakers, and we will be in good hands!!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
There's not as much depth in front on him as you think. I don't get why everyone thinks we have a loaded secondary all of the sudden. I can't remember Simmons getting much meaningful playtime at all, I also can't remember Step making any plays at all. I think a lot of the incoming Freshman will play, and Tre is the cream of the crop of the incoming class.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There's not as much depth in front on him as you think. I don't get why everyone thinks we have a loaded secondary all of the sudden. I can't remember Simmons getting much meaningful playtime at all, I also can't remember Step making any plays at all. I think a lot of the incoming Freshman will play, and Tre is the cream of the crop of the incoming class.
Simmons played well when in the game. Also steph didn't make many plays because not many balls were thrown his way, which isn't a bad thing, that means he was locking his guy down. We didn't rotate a lot of DB's anyways so who knows if we will this year. Not to mention even if a freshman does get playing time I'm not so sure he's the best incoming corner as of right now, not to say he can't turn into one of the best. The other two corners are already on campus and learning the system as well. And we have Kerr who we have yet to see. If he does play though, that means he beat guys out and he deserves to play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem playing true frosh in the two deep if they beat out the older guys.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That's nice but the coaches have to worry about now. It doesn't help them if a player is great in their 5th year if they're fired next year! You can't have it both ways. If coaches feel like a kid can help them win now they're going to play! Even if it's a few plays a game on special teams.