Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It's funny to me that with all the complaints from rival fans, in the 9 years Coach Johnson has been here nobody has actually gone and looked at how many DL we've injured compared to other teams. If our style of play is so dangerous, shouldn't there be a trail of broken bodies behind us? I can only remember a few significant injuries, and they weren't usually related to cut blocks. Strange, isn't it?
GT beat the hell out of the Mildcats defensive line in the Taxslayer Gator Bowl and it had nothing whatsoever to do with chop blocks.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
A Tennessee fan on Volnation responding to another poster who said "All you have to do against GT is to prepare for the triple option and teams with two months to prepare do well against GT" said "You don't want to give Butch Jones too much time to prepare for you. He had 9 months to prepare for Appalachian State and you see how that ended up.":LOL::ROFLMAO:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A Tennessee fan on Volnation responding to another poster who said "All you have to do against GT is to prepare for the triple option and teams with two months to prepare do well against GT" said "You don't want to give Butch Jones too much time to prepare for you. He had 9 months to prepare for Appalachian State and you see how that ended up.":LOL::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not bad at all!

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
So reports of your demise have been greatly exaggerated? ;)

And also, I'm not revealing my sources. Unfortunately, it's too late to delete my first post. We'll just have to hope no one on the UT staff catches wind of it.

You are correct, I wouldn't call it a demise.... [emoji6]

Deleted member 2897

It's funny to me that with all the complaints from rival fans, in the 9 years Coach Johnson has been here nobody has actually gone and looked at how many DL we've injured compared to other teams. If our style of play is so dangerous, shouldn't there be a trail of broken bodies behind us? I can only remember a few significant injuries, and they weren't usually related to cut blocks. Strange, isn't it?

Yea this one is easy to call BS on. We are ref'd much more closely than any other team when it comes to chop blocks. Coaches and fans complain to the Refs about it and scour videos for proof of it. If we're not getting called for it every play it is simply because we're not doing it.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Butch Jones said recently that he wouldn't rule out a two quarterback system for the 2017 season. The two quarterbacks would probably be Junior Quinten Dormady who is a drop back passer and Redshirt Freshman Jarrett Guarantano who is very mobile like Josh Dobbs. Redshirt Sophomore Sheriron Jones who is very mobile like Josh Dobbs could see playing time as well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Butch Jones said recently that he wouldn't rule out a two quarterback system for the 2017 season. The two quarterbacks would probably be Junior Quinten Dormady who is a drop back passer and Redshirt Freshman Jarrett Guarantano who is very mobile like Josh Dobbs. Redshirt Sophomore Sheriron Jones who is very mobile like Josh Dobbs could see playing time as well.

That's great news! I can only think of a couple times where that sort of thing has ever worked out... Florida with Leak and Tebow comes to mind. Most of the time this leads to a wreck of an offense

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
That's great news! I can only think of a couple times where that sort of thing has ever worked out... Florida with Leak and Tebow comes to mind. Most of the time this leads to a wreck of an offense
Yeah i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a Tennessee quarterback in Spring Practice or in the Summer that separates themselves from the pack. Another good example of your argument is Florida in 1993-1994 with Terry Dean and Danny Wuerffel

Last edited:

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow

Yeah i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a Tennessee quarterback in Spring Practice or in the Summer that separates themselves from the pack. Another good example of your argument is Florida in 1993-1994 with Terry Dean and Danny Wuerffel

Probably the most successful 2 QB system was early in Bowden's tenure at FSU with Jimmy Jordan/Wally Woodham from 1977 to 1979 (http://www.nolefan.org/garnet/seminole12.html). The duo led FSU to an undefeated season in 1979 before losing to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

In 1997 Spurrier decided to rotate two quarterbacks (Doug Johnson & Noah Brindise) on every single play against FSU. CPJ sends ABacks in with plays; on that day Spurrier sent a QB in with the play. UF won 32-29. (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...noah-brindise-florida-quarterbacks-gator-flop)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Probably the most successful 2 QB system was early in Bowden's tenure at FSU with Jimmy Jordan/Wally Woodham from 1977 to 1979 (http://www.nolefan.org/garnet/seminole12.html). The duo led FSU to an undefeated season in 1979 before losing to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

In 1997 Spurrier decided to rotate two quarterbacks (Doug Johnson & Noah Brindise) on every single play against FSU. CPJ sends ABacks in with plays; on that day Spurrier sent a QB in with the play. UF won 32-29. (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...noah-brindise-florida-quarterbacks-gator-flop)
Interesting stuff thanks!:cool:;)(y)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Here's who i think will be on Tennessee's starting defense and offensive line for the GT-Tennessee game. I think Tennessee will use more Nickle coverage against GT than 4-3

DE Johnathan Kongbo
DT Kendal Vickers
DT Shy Tuttle
DE Kyle Phillips

OLB Daniel Bituli
MLB Darrin Kirkland Jr
OLB Quart'e Sapp

CB Emmanuel Moseley
Nickle Rashaan Gaulden
SS Todd Kelly Jr
FS Nigel Warrior
CB Justin Martin

2017 Tennessee Offensive Line depth chart

Left Offensive Tackle
Drew Richmond 6-5 301 Redshirt Sophomore
Brett Kendrick 6-6 318 Senior
Nathan Niehaus 6-7 270 Redshirt Sophomore
K'Rojhn Calbert 6-6 285 Freshman

Left Guard
Jashon Robertson 6-3 305 Senior
Venzell Boulware 6-3 306 Redshirt Sophomore

Center
Coleman Thomas 6-5 301 Junior
Ryan Johnson 6-6 275 Redshirt Freshman
Riley Locklear 6-5 295 Freshman

Right Guard
Jack Jones 6-4 307 Junior
Trey Smith(#1 Recruit Nationally) 6-6 313 Freshman

Right Offensive Tackle
Chance Hall 6-4 318 Junior
Brett Kendrick 6-6 318 Redshirt Senior
Marcus Tatum 6-6 265 Sophomore
Devante Brooks 6-5 255 Redshirt Freshman

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee offensive Skill Position depth chart going into the GT-Tennessee games in my opinion

Quarterback
1)Quinten Dormady Junior or Jarrett Guarantano Redshirt Freshman
2)Sheriron Jones Redshirt Sophomore
3)Will McBride Freshman

Running Back
1)John Kelly Junior
2)Carlin Fils-Aime Sophomore
3)Ty Chandler Freshman
4)Tim Jordan Freshman or Trey Coleman Freshman

Tight End
1)Ethan Wolf Senior
2)Jakob Johnson Senior or Eli Wolf(Ethan's Brother)Redshirt Sophomore
3)Austin Pope Sophomore
4)LaTrell Bumphus Freshman or James Brown Freshman

Wide Reciever
Jauan Jennings Junior
Marquez Calloway Sophomore
Joshua Palmer Freshman

Wide Receiver
Brandon Johnson Sophomore
Jeff George Senior
Jordan Murphy Freshman

Slot Receiver
Tyler Byrd Sophomore
Josh Smith Senior
LaTrell Williams Redshirt Freshman
Jacquez Jones Freshman

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Some fantastic news for the Jackets ... apparently the Guarantaroo guy, the new savior QB for the vols, is being trained by that QB "guru" that trained Vad that summer.
Great news for GT and bad news in the long run for Jarrett. The Tennessee QB situation is so up in the air that there very well could be a two quarterback situation for all of 2017. Butch Jones has even said in the last month that that could be very possible.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Do they utilize there TE? We always seem to get abused by opposing teams TE's or mobile QB's
in 2016 Ethan Wolf caught 22 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns while Jason Croom caught 21 passes for 242 yards and no touchdowns. Tight ends block more than they catch at Tennessee. Most of the passes go to the wide receivers and running backs.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
The Special Teams for Tennessee in 2017 will be

Kicker: Aaron Medley Senior
Punter: Trevor Daniel Redshirt Senior who averaged around 45 yards a punt in 2016

I think wide receiver Tyler Bird will be the Punt and Kick Returner during the GT-Tennessee game

It will be hard for Tennessee to replace record breaking Returner Cameron Sutton on Special Teams.