Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Who is Jennings' back-up?

Report: Vols' Jennings cited for drug possession

Or is this just a first quarter suspension type of deal for Tennessee?

We may benefit most from an entire offseason to prepare.
The word I'm getting is bad very bad they are going to make him wear a Russell uniform during our game, to make matters worst if he does it again the whole team we have to wear Russell Uniforms, the other players are piss off at him.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We're still not acknowledging the extraordinary injury troubles Tennessee went through.

Details on Ten brutal injuries that derailed Tennessee as of mid-season.
More here: Let’s talk about how the injury bug has bitten Tennessee really, really badly.
Butch Jones has said multiple times that he’s never seen a season quite like this in 30-plus years of coaching. Sound familiar?

It's fun to minimize the Vols 9 wins and laugh about them not getting it done when this was "their year", but seriously without all those major injuries I say their only loss is to Alabama. Check that -- their only losses to Alabama.

Come September they'll be back HEALTHY playing Georgia Tech at full strength. That's big-time bad for us. The only good news is they lost their two best players, QB Josh Dobbs to graduation and All-American DE Derek Barnett to the NFL. Here's hoping we can replace ours better than they can replace theirs.

I have to agree here. You guys appear to be sleeping on a very talented opponent. Yes, it's possible GT takes them to the woodshed, but I'm not counting on it. You guys are ALSO not accounting for the fact that it sometimes takes a few games for the offense to get going. This year you had a returning 3rd year starter at QB, and GT STILL barely squeezed out a win against a middling BC team in week one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have to agree here. You guys appear to be sleeping on a very talented opponent. Yes, it's possible GT takes them to the woodshed, but I'm not counting on it. You guys are ALSO not accounting for the fact that it sometimes takes a few games for the offense to get going. This year you had a returning 3rd year starter at QB, and GT STILL barely squeezed out a win against a middling BC team in week one.

I think the confidence(sic) comes from the following:
(a) They'll be breaking in a brand new starting QB whereas our guy has had more "real" game action.
(2) Despite having a boatload of talent, Tn still kinda trends to the middle of the pack results-wise.
(c) They lose a lot of starters, we lose less (I think)
(4) Lyle .. nuff said.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't worry to much about that game honestly, it was in Ireland, they were coming off an amazing defensive year, and we were still figuring things out with our O line as far as starters etc. this year we know for the most part who will be starting and the line is already way better than it was the first game last year. We do start slow early in the season at times but with the returning skilled guys and O line I think we will be fine if whoever plays QB makes good decisions. I don't foresee the play book being opened all the way in week 1 though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We lost JeT, but our backup (MJ) and probable starter as a good bit of experience.

What has me confident when it comes to our offense, is that our 2 Deep at OL will have a lot of experience, and our skill players have a boat load of experience. Unlike the BC game where there was still some questions along the line, we know who the main guys are and they've settled into their jobs.

Plus, we got Clinton Lynch. Any team with Clinton Lynch gets big plays. UT ain't got CL!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Even when PJ had those loaded teams at Southern, it took a few games to get going.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Also, I have absolutely no idea who created this image, but my Tennessee buddy sends it to me every year in solidarity prior to our game against UGA:

16473332_10106623371661940_3270650873086543565_n.jpg

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Go back to Virginia where you belong. It's Gold Tinted glasses only on the Swarm.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee's recruiting class was a disappointment to Vol fans.:wacky: Tennessee's recruiting class was #11 Nationally and 7th in the SEC.:wtf: I think the Recruits are being told Butch will be fired soon or they're figuring it out themselves.:wideyed: Their recruiting highlight was signing #1 rated offensive lineman Trey Smith out of Jackson who is 6-6 330 who I think could start in the GT-UT game.

Last edited:

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Will probably be a 4th qtr game with ugly play by both offenses for the first three quarters. One team will finally begin to get it going in the 4th qtr and will drive for a late winning score. Of course that it what happens in first games between major college teams most of the time.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Will probably be a 4th qtr game with ugly play by both offenses for the first three quarters. One team will finally begin to get it going in the 4th qtr and will drive for a late winning score. Of course that it what happens in first games between major college teams most of the time.
I'm thinking whoever wins will probably win by something like 24-20.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Mike is right. It usually takes a game or three to get the O rolling. I would much prefer to play UT later in the season, even if that would mean that they get a chance to get the new kids up to speed.

But no such luck. I also expect a close game. If we can get the dive going for 4 ypc by the second quarter, I think we win. If not … well, things could get interesting. I hate that.