Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I think to save Butch's job Tennessee will have to win 9-10 games because a new Athletic Director is coming in who isn't a friend of Butch. I wonder if the reason that the Offensive Coordinator left,who was a friend of Butch,for the same job at Indiana is because he knows what a hot seat Butch is sitting on? There are rumors going around that Butch talked to Purdue about their head football coaching job opening and he was turned down. It makes me believe that he knows he very possibly is a Dead Man Walking.
Any time there is an AD change the noose gets tighter nomatter what your record. Any coach can tell you that. The AD wants a raise too and fans and alumni are always going to complain nomatter who is the coach ( see Paul Johnson). It's easier to let a coach go when you're not tied to him. The other part of that is if an AD hires a coach he better win or you're both gone.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The VAST majority of people watching football only follow the ball and have very little understanding of what is going on outside of run ball throw ball.

It wasn't until CPJ was hired here that I truly started trying to understand the basics of whats going on i the play rather than just watching the ball and saying sweeping statements like I knew everything that was happening.
Expanding on this post this sentiment is also the underlying cause of calling our offense a "gimmicky offense."

There's nothing gimmicky about option football except if you're used to only following the football and nothing else. If you only try to follow the football then our offense seems like a bunch of trick plays rather than a normal sequence of events because you're constantly losing track of the ball.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. One thing I've always liked about watching option offenses is that an old (believe it) OL like me can watch the line play without getting bored. In "normal" offenses, it's all push-and-shove-the-guy-in-front-of-you. This is no fun for someone like me to watch. I like it when the OLs, you know, actually hit somebody. Call me old fashioned.

It's also a lot of fun to figure out why a play Coach just ran with little success gets run the next down and works! It's almost always the blocking.

It'll be fun to see the Fleabags try to figure that out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's also a lot of fun to figure out why a play Coach just ran with little success gets run the next down and works! It's almost always the blocking.
I have watched CPJ run the same play twice in a row also. First time the blockers got it wrong. He said, "Run it again, and run it right," and they did the second time. One time was years ago against (I'm guessing NC State). It was a counter play for no gain. Second time it was a touchdown.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
We're still not acknowledging the extraordinary injury troubles Tennessee went through.

Details on Ten brutal injuries that derailed Tennessee as of mid-season.
More here: Let’s talk about how the injury bug has bitten Tennessee really, really badly.
Butch Jones has said multiple times that he’s never seen a season quite like this in 30-plus years of coaching. Sound familiar?

It's fun to minimize the Vols 9 wins and laugh about them not getting it done when this was "their year", but seriously without all those major injuries I say their only loss is to Alabama. Check that -- their only losses to Alabama.

Come September they'll be back HEALTHY playing Georgia Tech at full strength. That's big-time bad for us. The only good news is they lost their two best players, QB Josh Dobbs to graduation and All-American DE Derek Barnett to the NFL. Here's hoping we can replace ours better than they can replace theirs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We're still not acknowledging the extraordinary injury troubles Tennessee went through.
I'm crying tears as big as horse turds for them. Just how injury prone were they when they barely beat Appy St & Ohio U? Must have been mindnumbingly massive. When EVERYONE they had was injured they may have had to play their 3 star recruits! Imagine the indignity of having to witness that and the embarassment of being the only SEC team to have to play multiple 3 stars in a real game.

northgajacket

Banned

Details on Ten brutal injuries that derailed Tennessee as of mid-season.
More here: Let’s talk about how the injury bug has bitten Tennessee really, really badly.
Butch Jones has said multiple times that he’s never seen a season quite like this in 30-plus years of coaching. Sound familiar?

It's fun to minimize the Vols 9 wins and laugh about them not getting it done when this was "their year", but seriously without all those major injuries I say their only loss is to Alabama. Check that -- their only losses to Alabama.

Come September they'll be back HEALTHY playing Georgia Tech at full strength. That's big-time bad for us. The only good news is they lost their two best players, QB Josh Dobbs to graduation and All-American DE Derek Barnett to the NFL. Here's hoping we can replace ours better than they can replace theirs.

Who cares?

It was "their year" previous years w/o injuries. They are always over hyped.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm already ready for this game!!! Was given the option of what I wanted for my 40th bday gift from the wife. Labor Day weekend in Vegas (Something I've always wanted to do) or go back home to Atlanta and go to this game or the UGA game. Right now I'm leaning on coming back to ATL Labor Day weekend.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I'm already ready for this game!!! Was given the option of what I wanted for my 40th bday gift from the wife. Labor Day weekend in Vegas (Something I've always wanted to do) or go back home to Atlanta and go to this game or the UGA game. Right now I'm leaning on coming back to ATL Labor Day weekend.
I can't wait for the game also it should be a real slobberknocker ;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the 2017 starters Tennessee will have at skill positions i believe going into the game with GT

QB Jarrett Guarantano Soph

RB John Kelly Junior
RB Carlin Fils-Aime Soph

WR Jauan Jennings Jr
WR Tyler Byrd Soph

TE Eli Wolf Sr
Who is Jennings' back-up?

Report: Vols' Jennings cited for drug possession

Or is this just a first quarter suspension type of deal for Tennessee?

We may benefit most from an entire offseason to prepare.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer