Temple Post Game

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think there was ever any doubt that we would be better this year running the 3O. This is a play for the future and I have to say I’m a little surprised how many people are clamoring for a shot at 6 wins.

This year is showing what a genius CPJ was. He was a flat brilliant coach. Unfortunately it is also showing the talent discrepancy he was having to work with.

I agree. I’ve posted more than once that if we made 6-6 in either of the next two years, I would consider it to be a great season. I’ve also said that I wouldn’t hold CGC fully accountable until 2021. I stand by this but the team looks unprepared and that really bothers me. And because we look unprepared, the hoopla and dancing are hard to stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think there was ever any doubt that we would be better this year running the 3O. This is a play for the future and I have to say I’m a little surprised how many people are clamoring for a shot at 6 wins.

This year is showing what a genius CPJ was. He was a flat brilliant coach. Unfortunately it is also showing the talent discrepancy he was having to work with.

I think this is a really good post. I don't want to knock your kids, but they are not (especially on the OL) good enough to do what CGC wants them to do on offense. There is a reason they were not highly recruited by schools not running the 30. Like, I think they'd have been effective under PJ, but expecting them to be guys who zone block and pass block and lock up with OLs inside their pads and steer them....that's not going to work a lot. They are triple option linemen.

You COULD have kept with a gussied up version of PJ's offense, but I don't blame CGC at all for what he's doing. If he's going to do the job, he should be free to do it his way, and do what he believes in.

If he is going to succeed here, this has to be seen as a year where you spent it putting down the foundations, and not worried about wins/losses/appearances.

I've said it a bunch of times here, but to paraphrase Rick Pitino, Paul Johnson is not coming through those doors. Your school made the choice to go with a guy like Collins, and all the bitching and moaning in the world is not going to turn him into Paul Johnson, so let Paul Johnson go.

He can't do what Paul Johnson did. That said, Paul Johnson maybe can't do what he can, if you just give him a chance.

Paul Johnson is gone.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is a really good post. I don't want to knock your kids, but they are not (especially on the OL) good enough to do what CGC wants them to do on offense. There is a reason they were not highly recruited by schools not running the 30. Like, I think they'd have been effective under PJ, but expecting them to be guys who zone block and pass block and lock up with OLs inside their pads and steer them....that's not going to work a lot. They are triple option linemen.

You COULD have kept with a gussied up version of PJ's offense, but I don't blame CGC at all for what he's doing. If he's going to do the job, he should be free to do it his way, and do what he believes in.

If he is going to succeed here, this has to be seen as a year where you spent it putting down the foundations, and not worried about wins/losses/appearances.

I've said it a bunch of times here, but to paraphrase Rick Pitino, Paul Johnson is not coming through those doors. Your school made the choice to go with a guy like Collins, and all the bitching and moaning in the world is not going to turn him into Paul Johnson, so let Paul Johnson go.

He can't do what Paul Johnson did. That said, Paul Johnson maybe can't do what he can, if you just give him a chance.

Paul Johnson is gone.
But tell us how you feel about Notre Dame...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I'll help him out. The coaching was terrible for several reasons. The asinine rotation of players is a major one for me. Pick your best 11 and leave them out there until they get tired. Stop subbing out your best players for whole drives at a time. There should never be a drive with Tre Swilling standing on the sidelines. Get Ahmarean Brown more involved! Dude has world class speed. Have they never heard of jet sweeps and pop passes or wide receiver screens? Why did we go hurry up into a punt formation instead of giving them a chance to review that 50 yard pass down to the 2 yd line that they said was out of bounds. Looked good to me from inside the stadium. Gotta at least give the refs a chance to review it. Also, what was up with yanking Graham out mid drive after he has steadily marched the team about 40-50 yards downfield only to put Oliver in which subsequently resulted in a fumble. There is that enough?
I agree with some of what you're saying, but with the way offenses play with tempo now, you can't only leave 11 guys out there. It is important to have good depth and continually rotate players on defense because of the up-tempo.

Also, Graham came out of the game with a hand injury on that drive. They were icing it down on the sideline.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, I'll help him out. The coaching was terrible for several reasons. The asinine rotation of players is a major one for me. Pick your best 11 and leave them out there until they get tired. Stop subbing out your best players for whole drives at a time. There should never be a drive with Tre Swilling standing on the sidelines. Get Ahmarean Brown more involved! Dude has world class speed. Have they never heard of jet sweeps and pop passes or wide receiver screens? Why did we go hurry up into a punt formation instead of giving them a chance to review that 50 yard pass down to the 2 yd line that they said was out of bounds. Looked good to me from inside the stadium. Gotta at least give the refs a chance to review it. Also, what was up with yanking Graham out mid drive after he has steadily marched the team about 40-50 yards downfield only to put Oliver in which subsequently resulted in a fumble. There is that enough?

I agree with some of this, though not all. I do appreciate the effort though. And FYI - Graham was hurt. That's why they replaced him with Tobias on that drive. You were at the game so may not have been able to tell, but they had people checking him out on the sideline.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Graham hurt his hand on that drive.I think we had a good chance of actually scoring if he could of finished the drive.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
In regards to the punt after browns incompletion on the sideline, I'm fairly sure the play clock was down to 7 seconds. They weren't going to review it.

I'm not going to rewatch to check that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ok I listened sounds like he is fine with 3 or 4 losing years hope the 15,000 fans at the games in 3 years are ok with it. He does want people to give him credit for Temple. Fact is he is a car salesman more than a coach not sure how he will work out I hope he does but I'm thinking it's not looking good.

That'd be half of what Temple gets... Doesn't Temple average around 27K per home game?

Okay went and fount this from CFN and NCAA to get data for the last 3 years for Temple
Year Avg
2018 28470
2017 27318
2016 27225

GT (we) average around 47K.

These have to be tickets distributed... not butts in seats.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm simply questioning why Brent Key, who you seem to be suggesting is an excellent OL coach, can not coach up our OL. If you're concerned that folks may not understand that the mods and the lion share of featured members on this site will defend the staff from criticism, I can assure you that we all understand, and you may move on.
Rhetorical....

Maybe these Olinemen would be producing better results with Sewak as their coach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Paul Johnson is gone.

Good stuff here. Unbiased observers see all of this clearly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Paul Johnson is gone.
I thought you were gone too.

But I do agree with about half what you are saying.

Deleted member 2897

What’s sad is this is another year we could win the Coastal division if we were just a decent or average team. What a waste.

The entire offensive coaching staff should be embarrassed. They’ve been here since the turn of the year. They’ve had all that time to figure out something to run. These kids don’t suck and they’re not idiots. We were 7-4 last year 11 games in. We won 9 games in 2016. It feels like they just showed up to Coach last week and nobody knows the plays.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
“I thought we moved the ball really well at times,” Collins said. “I thought we played really, really hard against, I think, one of the best front sevens in all of college football.

“There’s irony in this, and I get it, but all we can do is focus on what we can do to get better, take the positives from that game, of which there were a lot, and understand that that is really good football team and a really good roster that we just played and we went toe-to-toe with them in week four of a transformation.”

These are post game quotes from CGC. The level of spin here rivals Bill O'Riley.

Btw most of the Temple team we just played were recruited by the guy before CGC.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I get paid on the 3rd of the month. I guess you call it a money down

Perfect response. (the rest of the post is not directed to you)

Buffalo scored on four of their five first-half drives.
Our head coach is talking as if two fumbles were the difference in the game.

I have no problem with a transition taking time. I still think it's possible, as I've said numerous times, that CGC rights the ship.

I have a big problem dealing with our coach when he blows bs smoke. Last week, he ranted about a ref making a P.A. announcement on one play or our D making bonehead penalties on a couple drives to excuse a loss to an FCS team. This evening, he's talking like Temple has an elite Pwr5 front 7.

I didn't like the way CPJ failed to use his pressers to get GT's story out there. I'm beginning to wonder whether CGC's smoke is worse.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Perfect response. (the rest of the post is not directed to you)

Buffalo scored on four of their five first-half drives.
Our head coach is talking as if two fumbles were the difference in the game.

I have no problem with a transition taking time. I still think it's possible, as I've said numerous times, that CGC rights the ship.

I have a big problem dealing with our coach when he blows bs smoke. Last week, he ranted about a ref making a P.A. announcement on one play or our D making bonehead penalties on a couple drives to excuse a loss to an FCS team. This evening, he's talking like Temple has an elite Pwr5 front 7.

I didn't like the way CPJ failed to use his pressers to get GT's story out there. I'm beginning to wonder whether CGC's smoke is worse.

i mean they kinda were. If TO scores and doesn’t fumble we are looking at 17-12 gm and some decisions are different. Would we kick a FG instead of go for it on those 3 4th Downs? Idk maybe.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Some of y'all need to chill out. You are judging an entire coaching staff on 4 games during an overhaul. I hate the term rebuild because CPJ was very successful here, but we are overhauling pretty much everything about the program.

I know that it has been about as ugly as it can get, but the future is bright. CGC has to have time to recruit and he has shown me that he can do that very effectively. If he doesn't do anything in year 3, I'll start to turn on him, but he needs to have time to overhaul the program.

We only have 11 seniors on the team. Think about that for a minute...... 11 seniors this year. That is really incredible and it shows on the field because guys are making mistakes that veterans would minimize.

It is also obvious that we need to build around James Graham. My dad commented that he looked like Joe Hamilton on a couple of the throws.

The future is bright. If you're only going to complain about every play then you might as well not watch. I know that I'm going to watch every week and cheer on the Jackets no matter what! I still think that we can win some more games, we just can't have turnovers in the red zone and we can't have dumb penalties.
And our lone senior starter on D is Curry, so was flashed on the TV today