Temple Post Game

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I looks like you’re suggesting that Brent Key isn’t a talented line coach.
If he couldn’t coach them up, you’d think Saban would have gotten rid of him in any of the three seasons at Alabama. Or that he wouldn’t have gotten the Broyles nod in 2014.
For what it’s worth (a) we lost key players on the offensive line from last year and to injury this year, (b) did not do fine last year, (c) could not pass block last year, and (d) we’re moving from an unusual scheme to a more complex one.
The blocking has been horrible this year. We’ve seen plenty of feedback from a lot of sources to make us think that our blocking would be horrible this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm simply questioning why Brent Key, who you seem to be suggesting is an excellent OL coach, can not coach up our OL. If you're concerned that folks may not understand that the mods and the lion share of featured members on this site will defend the staff from criticism, I can assure you that we all understand, and you may move on.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
So as I have stated being an older Tech fan myself. We don't have an Offensive line and a vey middling d line. Football is won in the trenches and this staff is trying to do the best it can. We have 1 returning O line starter left and he is hobbled.

Football has not changed in 100 years. It is all about lineman, not QB's running backs etc
That makes a lot of sense. We had all kinds of athletes in '90, and the depth we had at WR was an embarrassment of riches. And also a lot of good DBs that could be substituted in and out, based on the situation at hand. But it was those big linemen that really anchored that team. I don't know how we're ever going to get the big guys in the trenches to compete with the UGAs and the Clemsons, so we're going to have to out-skill or out-scheme them, the way CPJ tried to do. In watching the Sugar Bowl last year, I don't know whether Texas really dominated UGA at the line of scrimmage. It looked like Ehrlinger and his receivers sliced and diced them. On paper Texas should never have won the game.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We are so garbage and the coaching isn’t helping ****. This rebuild might blow up in our faces. I just don’t see how this can be turned around to be better than what we had with Johnson and the triple option.

Some would argue Johnson and the 3O are responsible for the mess we find ourselves in.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I'm simply questioning why Brent Key, who you seem to be suggesting is an excellent OL coach, can not coach up our OL. If you're concerned that folks may not understand that the mods and the lion share of featured members on this site will defend the staff from criticism, I can assure you that we all understand, and you may move on.

If you can’t see the talent deficiencies Key is working with then you should have your posting privileges revoked.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Some would argue Johnson and the 3O are responsible for the mess we find ourselves in.

Some would...and they may be right. However, don’t forget that we could’ve kept the TO. CPJ doesn’t have a trademark on that offense. Not that it matters but I wonder what our record would be right now if we had gone with Monken. I guess what really matters is we are currently 128 out of 130 D-1 teams in total yards and that has to improve dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

That press conference suggests (1) he has zero urgency to win this year; (2) he would weirdly like the media to give him some credit for Temple beating GT; and (3) that he incorrectly thinks this is a transformation that has not occurred in FBS football for decades. Geoff, a team in the State went through this five years ago during their first year in FBS, and they went 9-3 (8-0).

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Some would...and they may be right. However, don’t forget that we could’ve kept the TO. CPJ doesn’t have a trademark on that offense. Not that it matters but I wonder what our record would be right now if we had gone with Monken. I guess what really matters is we are currently 128 out of 130 D-1 teams in total yards and that has to improve dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think there was ever any doubt that we would be better this year running the 3O. This is a play for the future and I have to say I’m a little surprised how many people are clamoring for a shot at 6 wins.

This year is showing what a genius CPJ was. He was a flat brilliant coach. Unfortunately it is also showing the talent discrepancy he was having to work with.

slugboy

Staff member
If you can’t see the talent deficiencies Key is working with then you should have your posting privileges revoked.

Last year’s recruiting class didn’t have any offensive linemen that fit Key’s scheme. I hoped that we’d make do for a year, and you usually don’t want to start a freshman on the line anyway. We’ve had a couple of transfers, but we’re not ready up front.
And, on top of that, we keep getting banged up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I didn’t see anyone quit today either. I saw an O that was out in positions to score and fumbled in the endzone or threw an int. I saw a depleted O line that can’t protect or run block. I saw a D that was lights out until being on the field and a lack of depth caught them. Today wasn’t on coaching. Citadel yea. Today no. And there was no quit either!

this