Temple Post Game

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
So the first two games of the season we are one of the lowest flagged teams in the country. Then in the Citadel game we suddenly get 3 person foul calls against us, among other flags, and then today we had no personal foul calls.

It really makes me wonder if the refs in the Citadel game were biased against us because it seems a bit shady that we played really great in our other three games as far as flags are concerned, but in Citadel we were flagged several times!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I remember that. I also remember Clemson being up 42-7. Then 42-14. Then 42-21. At that point, Dabo pulled most reserves, put in his starters, got another TD, that was it. But Tech never quit, and kept playing hard; that showed me something. By no means was Tech great last year, but it showed some character to rebound from that horrid start and at least have a fair to good -- not poor, not great, not very good -- season.
I didn’t see anyone quit today either. I saw an O that was out in positions to score and fumbled in the endzone or threw an int. I saw a depleted O line that can’t protect or run block. I saw a D that was lights out until being on the field and a lack of depth caught them. Today wasn’t on coaching. Citadel yea. Today no. And there was no quit either!

Though I'd been a Tech fan for a few years already, I was still too young to really understand how bad off the program was at the end of the Pepper Rodgers era. I remember my parents saying he'd lost the big alumni backers, not just because of his middling record, but because of his personal style as well. When you don't have the big alumni or administration in your corner, it's really difficult to coach effectively. The odd thing about the Pepper years, looking back on it, was that the Tech administration was apparently considering scrapping the football program altogether. Yet if you looked at the people in the stands, there was a very strong Tech contingent -- I'm talking sidewalk fans, not just alumni and their close relatives. Even at Sanford Stadium in '78, the place must have been half white & gold, many of them sidewalk fans. Though UGA won the game, the highlights they played in the local news were of Drew Hill's kickoff return for a touchdown. I think there was still a lot of goodwill left over from the Dodd years, and that might have been what saved Tech football -- that, and joining the ACC.

I didn't know what to make of the Curry hire at the time. Surely didn't expect his first few seasons to be as bad as they were, especially after beating Alabama. The only reason I felt bad about Coach Ross was because of all the turmoil on the team. A lot of Curry's players were practically in open revolt against the new coaching regime. This was well known on campus at the time and may have been reported in the AJC as well. Hard to win when a significant chunk of the players weren't on board. Both coaches managed to turn things around before they left, Ross being the more successful.
With CGC, I didn't expect this bad of a drop-off. Some, but not this bad. I thought for sure our only loss at this point in the season would be Clemson, or maybe have a tough loss to South Florida. But not this. Going forward, my main concerns in terms of coaching judgement are (a) the lack of a depth chart, which is necessary for players to get comfortable in their positions and improve, and also for them to gel with their coaches, (b) a decent kicker sitting on the bench and (c) doing things like running short-yardage plays out of the shotgun -- which you can do only if you've got a guy like Ehrlinger at Texas. I don't know if CGC has the coaching acumen.

So as I have stated being an older Tech fan myself. We don't have an Offensive line and a vey middling d line. Football is won in the trenches and this staff is trying to do the best it can. We have 1 returning O line starter left and he is hobbled.

Football has not changed in 100 years. It is all about lineman, not QB's running backs etc

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t worry everyone. Just listen to CGC’s post game presser and relax. You’ll hear him take all the credit building Temple into the juggernaut we faced today.

No insight into what happened or what we’re going to do better in the future - just be an awe of his ability to recruit and develop to the heights of Temple University.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It's obvious that Graham is a better fit for Pnude's offense than TO. And I think the team plays better with him in the game, though we did not score. We need to give him the ball the rest of the way and let him develop, if he doesn't get killed behind our line. Still hoping for a couple more wins. Don't know where they may be, but any more wins would be a show of progress.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Don’t worry everyone. Just listen to CGC’s post game presser and relax. You’ll hear him take all the credit building Temple into the juggernaut we faced today.

No insight into what happened or what we’re going to do better in the future - just be an awe of his ability to recruit and develop to the heights of Temple University.
I have not heard it but I really hope you are kidding.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand why people are upset. I was told that Nick Saban lost to ULM in his first year. Who cares if the team got beaten by an FCS school that Samford currently has 55 points against? Who cares that the team just got shut out offensively by Temple? So what if Temple just gave up 38 points against Buffalo last week? Why is anyone worried about P'nut shaking a magic 8-ball to call plays?

This is the largest transition in the history of college football! Who cares that Willie Fritz was able to go 9-3 (8-0) at Georgia Southern during the exact same type of transition? Who cares that Georgia Southern was playing their first year in the FBS at that time? That pales in comparison to this transition, which is the largest, most amazing, and most difficult transition in the history of college football! CGC and P'nut are doing the most amazing coaching job ever, and anyone that expects to win games anytime before 2025 needs to keep quiet and get on board.

Now, please excuse me while I practice my team dance moves for money, flava', holla down next weekend. #404 #money-balla-money #flatbill #wafflehouse
This is a monumental transformation. Nothing like this has ever been done. :rolleyes:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Now is the ultimate test for the GT fan base, now is the time to give the players and coaches the support for this transition not throw in the towel. It may end up being a 1 win season but all we can hope is that Collins knows what he is doing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This game actually helped me as a fan. I take it as proof there is talent on the team. I’m not a TO for QB guy but dang what if he could throw the ball more reliably, he would be a stud ! His ability in that position is hampered by the O line, coaching and his own talent ( I think he tends to leave the pocket to soon, when he does have protection). But with that said with LJ hurt he looked like he was a baller. TOs fumbling did force the ball into Graham’s hands for a longer period, I love what I saw. I also saw WRs making plays and a boat load of defensive talent. This is not a 1-3 team talent wise ! I think the coaching is struggling more than the players.

If CGCs learned something today we will win again this year. If he doesn’t trust his on system we won’t.

I think the offense played better today and I think it was b/c the QBs weren’t rotated in and out like madmen.

Still wish we saw more 2 back sets with a lead blocker but I guess it is what it is.

We definitely need linemen !

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Hell you figure, that? Team was picked LAST in the ACC.

Umm...pardon me but you could be last in the ACC with a 5-7 or so record. Right now, it’s looking like 1-11. So there’s last and then there’s LAST in D-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Buffalo beat Temple last season too.
They moved the ball but couldn’t punch it in in the red zone. Nor could they trust the kicking game. They moved the ball better. I saw improvement.

Buffalo just lost badly to a MAC team 34-20. The Citadel gave up over 60 points to Samford. I still support Coach Collins, not that it matters, but resting on future recruiting hopes is not a way forward when you are being beaten like this. It is only going to get worse unless drastic changes are made across the board. It is telling that we looked this bad following a bye week. Blaming a lack of talent does not excuse this performance. We looked poorly coached which is not going to attract the level of recruits needed to overcome mediocre coaching.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
In Ken Sugiura’s report on the game in this evening’s AJC, Coach Collins is quoted in his postgame comments as follows:

“I thought we moved the ball really well at times,” Collins said. “I thought we played really, really hard against, I think, one of the best front sevens in all of college football.”

Uhh ... I’m not sure what to think about that.

slugboy

Staff member
Perhaps ole' Brent could coach them up? Amazing that these guys did fine last year, but for Brent and P'nut...

I looks like you’re suggesting that Brent Key isn’t a talented line coach.
If he couldn’t coach them up, you’d think Saban would have gotten rid of him in any of the three seasons at Alabama. Or that he wouldn’t have gotten the Broyles nod in 2014.
For what it’s worth (a) we lost key players on the offensive line from last year and to injury this year, (b) did not do fine last year, (c) could not pass block last year, and (d) we’re moving from an unusual scheme to a more complex one.
The blocking has been horrible this year. We’ve seen plenty of feedback from a lot of sources to make us think that our blocking would be horrible this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THWG

Helluva Engineer
In Ken Sugiura’s report on the game in this evening’s AJC, Coach Collins is quoted in his postgame comments as follows:

“I thought we moved the ball really well at times,” Collins said. “I thought we played really, really hard against, I think, one of the best front sevens in all of college football.”

Uhh ... I’m not sure what to think about that.
They honestly probably do have one of the best front sevens in football. I think 5 of the 7 are seniors.