Temple Post Game

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I've had the same criticism of this team for the past couple of years and it seems to be continuing now: we can't stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Win or lose, I just want us to play smart, clean ball. The personal fouls last game and the fumbles in this one are all mental and should not be happening. The new regime hasn't fixed that stuff yet and I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
He has confidence place to bet at even money, 1:1. Do you have confidence to bet him on that?
Since you're feeling froggy, how about this: Tech wins another game, I'll post one positive post about GCG per day for a week. Tech goes 1-11, you're banned for a year. Need to get a mod to sign off on this, but I think we can set it up. How confident you feeling?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
We are so garbage and the coaching isn’t helping ****. This rebuild might blow up in our faces. I just don’t see how this can be turned around to be better than what we had with Johnson and the triple option.
This is exactly the issue. The reward for this garbage can’t be 8-4. It needs to be 10-2 every single season. Otherwise we should have just stayed with the option.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I've had the same criticism of this team for the past couple of years and it seems to be continuing now: we can't stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Win or lose, I just want us to play smart, clean ball. The personal fouls last game and the fumbles in this one are all mental and should not be happening. The new regime hasn't fixed that stuff yet and I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff.

You have committed wrongthink and will be reported to the authorities. All hail the new regime.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Got it, you have no confidence.
Hey man, don't take it too seriously. Clearly my post wasn't intended for you.

Just hoping those in chat and elsewhere who think 1-11 believed what they were saying is all. I don't think it's an even money proposition and believe I'd have the edge. That means some level of confidence. Of what % I have no clue and don't want to depress myself thinking about it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some of y'all need to chill out. You are judging an entire coaching staff on 4 games during an overhaul. I hate the term rebuild because CPJ was very successful here, but we are overhauling pretty much everything about the program.

I know that it has been about as ugly as it can get, but the future is bright. CGC has to have time to recruit and he has shown me that he can do that very effectively. If he doesn't do anything in year 3, I'll start to turn on him, but he needs to have time to overhaul the program.

We only have 11 seniors on the team. Think about that for a minute...... 11 seniors this year. That is really incredible and it shows on the field because guys are making mistakes that veterans would minimize.

It is also obvious that we need to build around James Graham. My dad commented that he looked like Joe Hamilton on a couple of the throws.

The future is bright. If you're only going to complain about every play then you might as well not watch. I know that I'm going to watch every week and cheer on the Jackets no matter what! I still think that we can win some more games, we just can't have turnovers in the red zone and we can't have dumb penalties.
I hate the term rebuild to because it's always been a bull**** excuse every coach uses to suck.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Since you're feeling froggy, how about this: Tech wins another game, I'll post one positive post about GCG per day for a week. Tech goes 1-11, you're banned for a year. Need to get a mod to sign off on this, but I think we can set it up. How confident you feeling?
I'm not feeling froggy in the least. Just pointing out the facts.

Technically there's a chance that we will win another game this year. Right now the ODDS on that a pretty low.

You can post positive or negative things all you want.

If I am wrong in my description of "even money", please correct me because I am not too old to learn something new. If you were wrong in the way you initially read that, admit it, and let's get over it.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not feeling froggy in the least. Just pointing out the facts. I'm funny that way.

Technically there's a chance that we will win another game this year. Right now the ODDS on that a pretty low.

You can post positive negative things all you want.

If I am wrong in my description of "even money", please set if I me because I am not too old to learn something new. If you were wrong and the way you initially read that, admit it, and let's get over it.
Do you realize I edited my original post to "my bad" about 10 minutes ago?

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that is what I call a high school offense. Makes me feel young again. You fans in your 30's and 40's are about to get to experience the early 80's. Stars might align, and we steal a game somewhere, but probably not. It's going to get bad, and then basketball will be worse just like 79, 80, 81, 82. Collins seems to be this odd mix of Pepper's juice and Lewis's coaching. Followed a couple of guys into positions in my business career that were determined to hammer square pegs into round holes. Lots of pain all around.

I actually had optimism that better times were ahead with Curry and Ross in their early years.

Though I'd been a Tech fan for a few years already, I was still too young to really understand how bad off the program was at the end of the Pepper Rodgers era. I remember my parents saying he'd lost the big alumni backers, not just because of his middling record, but because of his personal style as well. When you don't have the big alumni or administration in your corner, it's really difficult to coach effectively. The odd thing about the Pepper years, looking back on it, was that the Tech administration was apparently considering scrapping the football program altogether. Yet if you looked at the people in the stands, there was a very strong Tech contingent -- I'm talking sidewalk fans, not just alumni and their close relatives. Even at Sanford Stadium in '78, the place must have been half white & gold, many of them sidewalk fans. Though UGA won the game, the highlights they played in the local news were of Drew Hill's kickoff return for a touchdown. I think there was still a lot of goodwill left over from the Dodd years, and that might have been what saved Tech football -- that, and joining the ACC.

I didn't know what to make of the Curry hire at the time. Surely didn't expect his first few seasons to be as bad as they were, especially after beating Alabama. The only reason I felt bad about Coach Ross was because of all the turmoil on the team. A lot of Curry's players were practically in open revolt against the new coaching regime. This was well known on campus at the time and may have been reported in the AJC as well. Hard to win when a significant chunk of the players weren't on board. Both coaches managed to turn things around before they left, Ross being the more successful.
With CGC, I didn't expect this bad of a drop-off. Some, but not this bad. I thought for sure our only loss at this point in the season would be Clemson, or maybe have a tough loss to South Florida. But not this. Going forward, my main concerns in terms of coaching judgement are (a) the lack of a depth chart, which is necessary for players to get comfortable in their positions and improve, and also for them to gel with their coaches, (b) a decent kicker sitting on the bench and (c) doing things like running short-yardage plays out of the shotgun -- which you can do only if you've got a guy like Ehrlinger at Texas. I don't know if CGC has the coaching acumen.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember, we were 1-3 last year too!

I remember that. I also remember Clemson being up 42-7. Then 42-14. Then 42-21. At that point, Dabo pulled most reserves, put in his starters, got another TD, that was it. But Tech never quit, and kept playing hard; that showed me something. By no means was Tech great last year, but it showed some character to rebound from that horrid start and at least have a fair to good -- not poor, not great, not very good -- season.