Temple Fans view of Collins and Patenaude

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins likes CDP’s offense because it’s fast paced and generates a lot of big plays. He “tempered” the O in his 2nd season because the steady QB wasn’t mobile and they put up good points. It’s silly to abandon the guy after 3 games. It’s also silly to listen to Philly fans, they are miserable. Then again.
You are right 3 games would be silly , is 4 games ok then ?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
1) "Mixed at best" includes comments from GT fans who had watched/reviewed CDP's at Coastal Carolina. I've not reviewed his time there myself, but the commentary was that he did well.
I didn’t spend an incredible amount of time researching but here is a post of mine before he was hired.
I just found a random season from when he was at Coastal Carolina. They blew out some bad teams and performed pretty mediocre otherwise. He doesn't seem *bad*, but our offense will 100% be worse with him at the helm. We could still be good, but it wasn't like he was averaging 4ppd or anything. Most the games were in the 2-3 range with some blowout wins and some head scratcher losses.

I am holding out hope for someone else.
He left me feeling very “meh”. I think there is a reason he was a career FCS coach.

I would 100% love to be proven wrong. I have listened to every press conference of his at Tech, and I enjoy listening to him most of our coaches (Choice might be tied).

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
One other thing about Temple and Patenaude. Temple seems to have traditionally run power, two tight ends, fullback, etc kind of offense. If you look at his Coastal Carolina days, this is not Patenaude. He’s a spread guy. Sometimes he was run heavy, sometimes pass heavy.

Seems to me that much of Temple fans’ frustration could have been due to offensive style. They appear to prefer straight up power style offense, stereotypical northeastern football.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough to write off Pnode. I had hoped for better so far, but apart from the QB carousel, I’m not sure you can definitively pin much more of our offensive shortcomings on him. Maybe it just takes him longer than fans would like to understand what personnel he has in a new organization.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
We heard Temple opinions and GT fan opinions of Patenaude before the season started. Opinions were mixed at best.

It's foolish to conflate an issue with a single game or single coordinator as evidence that the whole staff = worst in college football. It's obviously a rant/hot take that's not worth much more than a chuckle and then move on, imo.

I created a thread for people who would like to discuss 2 years of results and data.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

Replacing a 3-4 year QB among other positions was a factor when CGC took over. The offense improved by a good bit year-over-year.

Offensive style could also be a factor in a rough start and fan dissatisfaction. Temple is historically power run from what I can tell. Patenaude is spread/RPO.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a fan yet, but c'mon guys. Think about this logically: three games in (one against defending NC) with a new offense with walk-ons on the line due to injury. Losing to an FCS team sucked, but that was all on Collins for the lack of player discipline. I'm all for knee-jerk over-reactions, but it's been two weeks and it is time to get our heads back on straight.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Obviously 7 years minimum
Doubtful. CGC is the only one with a seven year contract. Part of giving him seven years isn't just about acquiring players, but acquiring a staff as well. I'd be surprised if TStan didn't put pressure on CGC midway through third season if offense "continues to look completely horrible".

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
History shows that offense doesn’t prepare a defense week to week

Adding to this, yes we could have continued to have success running the triple at GT. CPJ already proved that. I still think we were headed for a tough season if CPJ or another option guy came in, but that’s just a guess on my part.

Thing is, I don’t think we have to run the triple to have success at GT. We aren’t Clemson. We aren’t UGA. But we aren’t Navy, Army, Kansas, or Colorado School of Mines either. I think the triple put a cap on how successful we could be. It sucks but negative perception really took its toll on us in recruiting and overall brand/reputation.

We had the triple for a time when we needed it. Now that TStan and CGC appear to be upping the game with support for our program, I think we can raise that ceiling without the negative PR that unfortunately comes with the triple.