Temple Fans view of Collins and Patenaude

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They averaged 35 points per game last year and went 7-1 in their league. I think they put up 45 in their dogfight loss against UCF. Oh, and they beat USF. We didn’t. All of this came AFTER starting the season 0-2 against FCS Villanova and Buffalo.

It’s not hard to cherry pick quotes from a football forum to fit one’s narrative.
Forum warriors quoting forum warriors = forum truth. Qed

The fact about his record was 7-1 in conference makes me want to give him about 1 year.

I was one of those that was not happy see were saving $ on an OC.
With our academics issues we need to do extra in key places like oc. Time wasted is recovered.

Even if the oc does fairly good this year and a little better next year, he should be replaced w a good young p5 oc. If he proves to be an idiot then, no kidding, fire him.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I’m not sure when Temple became the head honcho of G5. Queue the “but Matt Rhule had back to back 10 wins season”
We heard Temple opinions and GT fan opinions of Patenaude before the season started. Opinions were mixed at best.

It's foolish to conflate an issue with a single game or single coordinator as evidence that the whole staff = worst in college football. It's obviously a rant/hot take that's not worth much more than a chuckle and then move on, imo.

I created a thread for people who would like to discuss 2 years of results and data.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

Replacing a 3-4 year QB among other positions was a factor when CGC took over. The offense improved by a good bit year-over-year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We heard Temple opinions and GT fan opinions of Patenaude before the season started. Opinions were mixed at best.

I'm not saying that the article in question isn't a hot take, at best.

However, to say opinions on DP were "mixed at best" is disingenuous. I have read little to nothing positive about him as an OC from Temple folks.

Expressing frustration with DP does not equate to bashing CGC.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
It is an entertaining click thru to see the progression of their takes on the season. From utter despair after losses to Villanova and Buffalo and thinking they won't win another game to being on top of the world after their win over Houston.

And they have a better nickname for the OC (Patenfraud) than I've seen around here. But a lot of the same things we're going through this season, starting QB controversy, not feeding the RB enough, complaints about the "hype", etc. Rooting for the Jackets to improve like the Temple team did thru the season and the following seasons. Though for those that are looking for the OC to be fired at the end of this season I think you'll be disappointed.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying that the article in question isn't a hot take, at best.

However, to say opinions on DP were "mixed at best" is disingenuous. I have read little to nothing positive about him as an OC from Temple folks.

Expressing frustration with DP does not equate to bashing CGC.
Let me clarify two points.

1) "Mixed at best" includes comments from GT fans who had watched/reviewed CDP's at Coastal Carolina. I've not reviewed his time there myself, but the commentary was that he did well. Otherwise I'd agree that there were few if any glowing comments about his time at Temple. But I will say, the data suggests good improvement year-over-year while at Temple.

2) I agree that expressing frustration with DP does not equate to bashing CGC. The reason I bring it up is that the OP article suggests Temple had the worst coaching staff in the country. Subsequent to the OP, including the 2nd post in this thread, folks on this board are using CDP as evidence of the OP's take without consideration for the whole pie. I guess there's two separate tracks based on the thread title, so maybe that's where I am taking comments out of context or vice versa.

If the point of the OP was about the whole coaching staff, the merit of the thread is debatable and the takes on CDP are ignoring the original premise.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
No I don’t want to fire them now, but this is a Georgia Tech Football forum where we discuss Georgia Tech Football, so it’s perfectly acceptable for us to discuss the Georgia Tech Football Coach’s trend of losing to FCS teams.

What should we do about it? If you ask that question, there’s literally no point in having a forum. None of us can do anything of meaning for Georgia Tech football with a simple post here. We’re here to talk about Georgia Tech football. That’s what I’m talking about.
I disagree - there is plenty of opportunity to discuss GT football and offer suggestions and alternatives. That's what has typically made GTSwarm a great forum.

as for this topic, it's already been discussed in another thread
https://gtswarm.com/threads/coach-c...l-two-straight-years.19310/page-2#post-628932

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Later articles talk about the frustration with Patenaude.
This one praises that Patenaude is leaving.
https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/2019/01/03/fizzys-corner-follow-up-and-search/
Quote:"It has now been confirmed that Dave Patenaude is the offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Therefore, the Broad Street Offense is no more. It’s now the Peachtree Street Offense. The Georgia Tech fans have been waiting for a new offense, just wait till they get a load of this. The under/over on reverses for the 2019 season is “2.” For bootlegs, at the goal line it’s “1.”"

That first thread was also after 1 whole season with Patenaude and Collins. It's not a premature as you think. They're expressing similar frustrations from a year ago.

They’re biggest complaint is lack of reverses and goalline bootlegs? Okay.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Later articles talk about the frustration with Patenaude.
This one praises that Patenaude is leaving.
https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/2019/01/03/fizzys-corner-follow-up-and-search/
Quote:"It has now been confirmed that Dave Patenaude is the offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Therefore, the Broad Street Offense is no more. It’s now the Peachtree Street Offense. The Georgia Tech fans have been waiting for a new offense, just wait till they get a load of this. The under/over on reverses for the 2019 season is “2.” For bootlegs, at the goal line it’s “1.”"

That first thread was also after 1 whole season with Patenaude and Collins. It's not a premature as you think. They're expressing similar frustrations from a year ago.

I am not sure whether Patenaude is the long term answer for us or not. Honestly, my gut tells me he is here until we get the personnel we want and the money to upgrade, but I'm not sure. That said, coordinators are very rarely popular with a fanbase. Even when they do good work overall, their fans remember that one bad game or series of bad calls.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure whether Patenaude is the long term answer for us or not. Honestly, my gut tells me he is here until we get the personnel we want and the money to upgrade, but I'm not sure. That said, coordinators are very rarely popular with a fanbase. Even when they do good work overall, their fans remember that one bad game or series of bad calls.
There is a Pop Warner under 10 team here that is averaging 48 per game 50K would get him , and he only plays one QB till they get a 28 point lead.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been following that blog for awhile and he bitches about Collins constantly. He’s swears the new coach is better and thinks Rhule walked on water.

15-10 is not a poor record for Collins.
I think Rhule’s first season resulted in 2 wins and that’s after him being their 6 years prior.

Collins likes CDP’s offense because it’s fast paced and generates a lot of big plays. He “tempered” the O in his 2nd season because the steady QB wasn’t mobile and they put up good points. It’s silly to abandon the guy after 3 games. It’s also silly to listen to Philly fans, they are miserable. Then again.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, that rant didn't exactly age well, as they ended up 7-1 in conference and their offense ended up being more than okay. If anything, it shows their fans were too quick to panic. Wait....
Gee, why does that sound vaguely familiar.... quick to panic.... hmm....