Temple Fans view of Collins and Patenaude

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You might as well have saved yourself some time and just typed out: BUT PAUL JOHNSON!

Our current head coach is currently in a trend of losing to FCS teams. That’s not a good thing. That has nothing to do with Paul Johnson. My point still stands, if you can’t beat FCS teams which are as close to a gimmie as you’ll ever get, it’s going to add up.
No, that wasn't my point. My point was I'd rather screw up one game, lose to an FCS team, but finish with one loss in my conference, than pound the FCS team, but win only 1 conference game, finish with a losing record and miss a bowl game. It wasn't about 'PAUL JOHNSON'. It was about showing how the FCS loss is not the end of the world if you think of the opposite sort of season. Stop overselling the significance of it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/2018/09/02/tu-offense-and-geoff-collins-sockless/

Interesting read from a Temple fan a year ago on their view of Collins and Patenuade. The comments tend to agree with the writer.

Best quote: "Clearly, Patenaude stubbornly wants to force this square peg into a round hole and it’s not working nor probably ever will."

What we are seeing at Tech is nothing new boys. Wish we had seen it coming. I hope Collins can rewrite his narrative.
CDP has had very good offenses in the past. The difference is the personnel to run what he runs. We are seeing a shift as was Temple. When he took over Temple they were more of a power offense from what I’ve heard so he was completely changing what they do for the most part. Those things aren’t as simple as people think. So the square peg in a round hole is a little misleading. For recruiting and teaching purposes you have to just press through and run your offense. It stinks, but it’s pretty necessary otherwise the guys will not grip ahold of the system you are implementing and you will either never fully transition or it will take a good bit longer for the transition imo. At Coastal Carolina he averaged over 35 ppg and close to 450 ypg. He hasn’t forgotten how to call a game or coach, he just needs time to get the depth and personnel.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Appear to be the 1yr exception and that was only a decent yr

Army’s DFEI under Bateman was 108 & 37

As for other TO Teams in that span

GT: 55 & 107
Navy: 71 & 119
Air Force: 119 & 96
NMSU: 72 & 115
Again why don't those defenses shut down the option when they see it then, since that's all they practice against?

Also why did GA Southern have some lights out defenses with CPJ?

Also Army defensive fei:
2016: 75
2017: 34
2018: 17

So maybe with the right coach, you can have a good defense with an option offense, and maybe this isn't an outlier. Maybe Jay Bateman is a good coach (former Army DC).

Not buying this line of the option is the problem with the defense. This is why we have a scout team offense.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Again why don't those defenses shut down the option when they see it then, since that's all they practice against?

Also why did GA Southern have some lights out defenses with CPJ?

Also Army defensive fei:
2016: 75
2017: 34
2018: 17

So maybe with the right coach, you can have a good defense with an option offense, and maybe this isn't an outlier. Maybe Jay Bateman is a good coach (former Army DC).

Not buying this line of the option is the problem with the defense. This is why we have a scout team offense.
Disregard, I'm doing this in my phone, these numbers are incorrect. Webpage resets with year change.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I can see where the TU fans were coming from, even after the team improved. They had just had two terrific season under Rhula and had the pieces for a similar team coming back. Then Collins didn't use them and got ok, but not equal results.

Oth, the team did come back and won 7 of 8 conference games. I think this is a case of the grass always being greener on the other side of a coaching transition, especially given how successful Rhule had been. We'll have to see if similar results can be achieved at Tech. If so, then good beans. But even if not it is way too early to panic. Not too early to harshly criticize - the Citadel fiasco was unforgivable - but way too early to give up the new staff.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Last I'll say on it on this thread, but if we go 1-11, 2-10, I'm still not going as Chicken Little as some people are after one bad loss. I'll point it out again: Matt Rhule won 2 games in his 1st year at Temple. Jeff Monken won 2 in his 2nd year at Army. This is a rebuild, like or not. Frustrating bc we do have some individual units that are talented.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/2018/09/02/tu-offense-and-geoff-collins-sockless/

Interesting read from a Temple fan a year ago on their view of Collins and Patenuade. The comments tend to agree with the writer.

Best quote: "Clearly, Patenaude stubbornly wants to force this square peg into a round hole and it’s not working nor probably ever will."

What we are seeing at Tech is nothing new boys. Wish we had seen it coming. I hope Collins can rewrite his narrative.
The amount of negativity on this board after just 3 games is ridiculous. It's so easy to spot the CPJ fanboys now

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Last I'll say on it on this thread, but if we go 1-11, 2-10, I'm still not going as Chicken Little as some people are after one bad loss. I'll point it out again: Matt Rhule won 2 games in his 1st year at Temple. Jeff Monken won 2 in his 2nd year at Army. This is a rebuild, like or not. Frustrating bc we do have some individual units that are talented.
Matt rhule came to baylor and tried to force his run heavy offense on tobyhe pass heavy talent and went 1-12. Went to pass next year and did fine. Yea , transition is .....

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Matt rhule came to baylor and tried to force his run heavy offense on tobyhe pass heavy talent and went 1-12. Went to pass next year and did fine. Yea , transition is .....

And Baylor won 7 games the year before Rhule got there. Wow, he must be a terrible coach. Lol

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

This is not true. Call it a change in direction, but it's not a rebuild.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The amount of negativity on this board after just 3 games is ridiculous. It's so easy to spot the CPJ fanboys now
It's not about being a CPJ fanboy. I'm in the boat of stop calling it a rebuild with the intention of using the previous coaching staff as a scapegoat for our performance this year. Call it a change of direction and people would be more understanding. Even so, this was a winning team last year. There are good football players here. And it's only game 3. People, and I'm not specifically calling you out, need to stop trying to say, "well this is what we expected"," the team wasn't that good", or the worst one "we knew this would be a rebuild". That's BS.

What should be said is that GT has had some pretty good teams recently, we are changing direction however, and there may be some bumps along the way. We are going to try and add on to the recent success and take GT to the next level. I would be 100% on board.

Instead, all off-season we keep hearing jabs from coaches and many on here alike talking about how bad things were before and how great it's going to be from here on out. Many of these statements not only alienate much of the fan base, but are arguably highly inaccurate. All of these statements sound like excuses, and justification in case this don't go well initially.

Why is this even a worry to begin with, CGC got a 7 year contract so he knows he has time to establish what he wants. There's no need for a smear campaign to create job security for this current staff.

All of this said, I do acknowledge that not having a healthy O-line can make running any offense difficult. I will also say I like some of what I'm seeing on defense. I love the direction were going there, especially no 10 or greater yard cushions to opposing WR's all the time.

Just stop calling it a rebuild. It's inaccurate, alienating, and overall a weak excuse for poor performance.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's not about being a CPJ fanboy. I'm in the boat of stop calling it a rebuild with the intention of using the previous coaching staff as a scapegoat for our performance this year. Call it a change of direction and people would be more understanding. Even so, this was a winning team last year. There are good football players here. And it's only game 3. People, and I'm not specifically calling you out, need to stop trying to say, "well this is what we expected"," the team wasn't that good", or the worst one "we knew this would be a rebuild". That's BS.

What should be said is that GT has had some pretty good teams recently, we are changing direction however, and there may be some bumps along the way. We are going to try and add on to the recent success and take GT to the next level. I would be 100% on board.

Instead, all off-season we keep hearing jabs from coaches and many on here alike talking about how bad things were before and how great it's going to be from here on out. Many of these statements not only alienate much of the fan base, but are arguably highly inaccurate. All of these statements sound like excuses, and justification in case this don't go well initially.

Why is this even a worry to begin with, CGC got a 7 year contract so he knows he has time to establish what he wants. There's no need for a smear campaign to create job security for this current staff.

All of this said, I do acknowledge that not having a healthy O-line can make running any offense difficult. I will also say I like some of what I'm seeing on defense. I love the direction were going there, especially no 10 or greater yard cushions to opposing WR's all the time.

Just stop calling it a rebuild. It's inaccurate, alienating, and overall a weak excuse for poor performance.

There are very valid reasons for calling it a rebuild (among the fewest amount of seniors and lowest returning production anywhere in college football). Calling it a rebuild doesn't mean we have no appreciation for the accomplishments of the past decade. We are calling it like we see it and most neutral observers around college football agree. Agree to disagree, I guess.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is not true. Call it a change in direction, but it's not a rebuild.
Depends on what your definition of rebuild is? I think most people see this as a rebuild. To me a rebuild is striping it down and completely starting over which is what we are doing with changing systems. We are literally starting fresh in learning something new.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not to hijack the thread from the OP wanting to blast the staff, but this is a rebuild ladies and gentlemen. Every talking head in college football even knows this. It’s painful yes, but there are a small number of you trying to minimize it for reasons that are obvious to the rest of us.

Back to the thread topic. I won’t join in on this one because it includes Collins, but if anyone starts a thread laying into DP I’ll partake.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief! Tech grads of all people should be able to grasp the very simple notion, that concern or a let's wait and see approach, has not one single connection to CPJ whatsoever.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not to hijack the thread from the OP wanting to blast the staff, but this is a rebuild ladies and gentlemen. Every talking head in college football even knows this. It’s painful yes, but there are a small number of you trying to minimize it for reasons that are obvious to the rest of us.

Back to the thread topic. I won’t join in on this one because it includes Collins, but if anyone starts a thread laying into DP I’ll partake.

Ah well. The talking heads have ruled, so we all must know this is true. Thanks for clearing that up for us.