Ted Roof's job

Jmonty71

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if our D actually watches any film. It appears they have no idea what the other team is gonna do. TIC but you catch my drift...
If Roof watches film, he must fall asleep. Because, he looks like the most ill prepared DC in all of college football. He does nothing to exploit the other team's weakness. He does the same plays over and over. We telegraph blitzes so well, that Ronnie Millsap could see it coming. No disguise, no deception and no aggressive play. Where is all of that, due to a lack of talent? I'm tired of hearing that lame excuse? Roof on year 4, should have the talent. Just because he "may" recruit, is no reason to keep a pissed poor DC.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm about to be on this train. ...
We are not aggressive at all and if you don't stop them all game maybe you should try something different.

I assume you watched the game... how many time did we "get aggressive" with blitzing? A lot. sometimes the players didn't time the "follow" properly or went to the wrong gap.

Are the "taught" the wrong way?
Don't remember what to do?
too slow?
All of the above?
Some of the above?

As a GT fan it is painful to witness.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As coach said it's a good thing we had some time consuming drives in second half or it would have been worse.

Giving up 600 yds on 9 drives means we have a helluva long way to go to be good. Actually , we need to stop getting worse. after today nothing says we will not keep getting worse.
5.5 pts per drive!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As coach said it's a good thing we had some time consuming drives in second half or it would have been worse.

Giving up 600 yds on 9 drives means we have a helluva long way to go to be good. Actually , we need to stop getting worse. after today nothing says we will not keep getting worse.
5.5 pts per drive!

The first two words of your second paragraph explain the first. CPJ gave up. He played O to not make it worse rather than to win.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What??? do you think he wouldn't have loved to see us score on each of our possessions? Even if it would have take 30 seconds or less to do so? Really? (I don't think that you do, but I've been wrong before...)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What??? do you think he wouldn't have loved to see us score on each of our possessions? Even if it would have take 30 seconds or less to do so? Really? (I don't think that you do, but I've been wrong before...)

We were down 2+ scores. He wasn't calling plays to score quickly. That is, he wasn't calling plays to win.

I'm not saying he was wrong about likelihood of success. I'm just saying it was what it was.

yellowjacketjosh

Georgia Tech Fan
Roof needs to go. Our defenders literally don't even cover the receivers, they just stand there. As for the offense next year, We can wait and see what Johnson can do with Mathew Jordan. If we have a terrible season, then we need to hook up with Les Miles and bring him to the Flats!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Roof needs to go. Our defenders literally don't even cover the receivers, they just stand there. As for the offense next year, We can wait and see what Johnson can do with Mathew Jordan. If we have a terrible season, then we need to hook up with Les Miles and bring him to the Flats!
You have to be kidding. You really think our DB just stand there and watch ? They may miss an assignment but they are not just standing there and watching the game. And I like MJ but I still want to wait till the spring game and get a good look at our other QB's. Les Miles ? Yes he is a good coach but I don't think he could recruit at Tech or want to coach here.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"“There’s a ton of missed tackles and a ton of missed whatever. If you can’t cover them, you can’t cover them. Not getting much of a pass rush and not being able to cover is a deadly combination.” CPJ, 11/5/2016

Pretty much sums up the D at this time...

And HE is the head coach. Therefore the ownership of it is on him. We are all frustrated with ted roof and the defense but in my opinion it all falls on CPJs shoulders. If he sees the issues then take a break from offense duties and fix where the problem is that is what a GOOD coach does.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem holding CPJ accountable for the program as a whole, but I don't think he has been empowered to build a top tier program. Just look at what he can spend vs VT or Clemson. Money matters.

We don't need to get a new head coach, we need to empower the one we have. I am somewhat surprised he has put up with the GTAA this long.