Ted Roof's job

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This isn't all on Roof. There is a reason our D has sucked for all of CPJ's seasons. Its the offensive scheme. While it might equalize us and give us a chance due to lack of offensive talent, this system affects the whole program. It affects recruiting on Defense, it affects practice on Defense. Players get better by practicing against better players. They improve with repetition on techniques. I know we practice against a scout team, but really how good are those players. We don't have a QB in our program that would be a BACK UP for anybody else in the conference. And our scout team are players recruited to run our offense. How can we expect to recruit defensive players when they know what they will face for 5 years in practice. Why would we expect to be good on D?
This is a sorry excuse, I'm sorry but it just is. Lucas Johnson and jay jones are both athletic guys that could have played QB at other schools. What about teams that recruit pro style QB's but play spread offenses? Should they do bad against those teams because they don't have a QB who can run a different type of offense? I doubt it because there are teams like this that have better defenses than us. This is just a cop out imo.

I wasn't in chat except for pooping in on my phone and I've had some time to unwind from a totally pathetic defensive "effort". For the last several games I've been focusing on the issues with the D that have been discussed here ad naseum. I will not address those issue individually but focus more on the systemic issues I see. There is talent on the D but it is sorely misused and now the players are an unorganized mass on the field. We saw the same thing leading up to the MTSU debacle. As I've said I am not and never have been a fire the coach kind of person until I see exactly what I saw today. In my opinion CTR has not and cannot identify a base scheme to work from other than a base 4-3 or a 4-2-5. There is zero scheming out of either sets and we constantly see blitzes tipped, blitzers running directly into blockers, soft cushions and the like. Both Brant and AJ were productive last years and now their hesitant, not playing with the abandon needed to be a playmaker. Our D line play patty cake with the O line and I can't remember the last time I saw a line stunt. Defense cannot be passive unless you have 11 4 and 5 star players that will consistently win their one on one battles. For whatever reason our defensive players are not playing at their athletic abilities. They're hesitant as if they are afraid to make a mistake. This all smacks of very poor coaching that falls directly in the lap of CTR. Coach Mac, Pelton and Speed all answer to CTR so they do as they're told by the boss on the D side of the ball. I watched Coach Mac's teams for years and know his Ds were solid year and year our. Coach Pelton has shown things in videos I've seen that impress me. Can't say a lot about the day to day with Coach Speed.

The reason I reference the MTSU game is that all the screw ups with Groh came to a head in that game. In my opinion the players had finally had enough and said to hell with it, we'll show our displeasure in such an obvious way that CPJ will have no option but to dismiss Groh. So many similarities from that game to this one that I wonder the same thing happened today.

As to whether or ntw the D would be better this year with CTR's dismissal? There is no concrete way to answer that other than to say it can't get worse and remember after Groh was dismissed Coach Kelly did have the D playing better the remainder of the year!
HELL YES !!!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think we have two issues on the defensive front. One being the DC, and second I'm still trying to pinpoint. Obviously we keep going through DC's with the same result, so what is it? Are we not bringing the right DC's on, we don't have the right kids, etc. If we bring a new DC on, I really wonder if we will still have issues.

Honestly I think we have two issues on the defensive front. One being the DC, and second I'm still trying to pinpoint. Obviously we keep going through DC's with the same result, so what is it? Are we not bringing the right DC's on, we don't have the right kids, etc. If we bring a new DC on, I really wonder if we will still have issues.
We might have some of the same issues, but at this point, could it possibly be worse?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot goes into who we hire, but recruiting as well. I do believe recruiting has gotten better though and that our D is not as bad talent wise as they are playing, and that imo is because of coaching and scheme.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I wasn't in chat except for pooping in on my phone and I've had some time to unwind from a totally pathetic defensive "effort". For the last several games I've been focusing on the issues with the D that have been discussed here ad naseum. I will not address those issue individually but focus more on the systemic issues I see. There is talent on the D but it is sorely misused and now the players are an unorganized mass on the field. We saw the same thing leading up to the MTSU debacle. As I've said I am not and never have been a fire the coach kind of person until I see exactly what I saw today. In my opinion CTR has not and cannot identify a base scheme to work from other than a base 4-3 or a 4-2-5. There is zero scheming out of either sets and we constantly see blitzes tipped, blitzers running directly into blockers, soft cushions and the like. Both Brant and AJ were productive last years and now their hesitant, not playing with the abandon needed to be a playmaker. Our D line play patty cake with the O line and I can't remember the last time I saw a line stunt. Defense cannot be passive unless you have 11 4 and 5 star players that will consistently win their one on one battles. For whatever reason our defensive players are not playing at their athletic abilities. They're hesitant as if they are afraid to make a mistake. This all smacks of very poor coaching that falls directly in the lap of CTR. Coach Mac, Pelton and Speed all answer to CTR so they do as they're told by the boss on the D side of the ball. I watched Coach Mac's teams for years and know his Ds were solid year and year our. Coach Pelton has shown things in videos I've seen that impress me. Can't say a lot about the day to day with Coach Speed.

The reason I reference the MTSU game is that all the screw ups with Groh came to a head in that game. In my opinion the players had finally had enough and said to hell with it, we'll show our displeasure in such an obvious way that CPJ will have no option but to dismiss Groh. So many similarities from that game to this one that I wonder the same thing happened today.

As to whether or ntw the D would be better this year with CTR's dismissal? There is no concrete way to answer that other than to say it can't get worse and remember after Groh was dismissed Coach Kelly did have the D playing better the remainder of the year!
I think we've both been on the same page about CTR for the past year and a half. I've certainly acknowledged our D isn't great and I know they aren't capable of winning us games. I'm more critical of the offense putting the D in bad situations and not performing well enough that we have to rely on our D to win. I've been content with not having a D that will win us games as long as they do enough to allow our offense to win.

Right now our D is losing games from playing probably like the worst D in the entire conference. It's disgusting to watch because I know our guys are better than that. They have single handedly lost to Pitt and UNC and did everything they could to lose to Duke and were lucky they didn't. Roof needs to go now. We need to quit hiring has beens who have failed elsewhere and find someone young with some fire in them.

jeffgt14

It ain't gonna get any easier for CPJ the next few years. We already don't have any depth and I fully expect some attrition when Roof is gone. Maybe we can pull together a magical year but it could get real ugly.

It ain't gonna get any easier for CPJ the next few years. We already don't have any depth and I fully expect some attrition when Roof is gone. Maybe we can pull together a magical year but it could get real ugly.
Generally speaking, defenses can turn around much quicker than offenses. I know it was way back in the 60s, but Bud Carson totally turned around Dodd's defense in one year. That's why he was hired to replace Dodd when Dodd retired. Unfortunately, that was not a good decision, as it seldom is when a DC is hired as a HC

jeffgt14

Generally speaking, defenses can turn around much quicker than offenses. I know it was way back in the 60s, but Bud Carson totally turned around Dodd's defense in one year. That's why he was hired to replace Dodd when Dodd retired. Unfortunately, that was not a good decision, as it seldom is when a DC is hired as a HC
Won't just be defensive players.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm starting to worry that the problem may be that offenses are just too complicated these days. It just takes way more time for film study and preparation than our guys can squeeze in between classes. On offense, we just do what we've done every game for years, but defense has to adjust every week. Otherwise, how can obviously bright and athletic guys just look completely lost out there? How can three DCs that have had success elsewhere fail so completely?

If that's the problem, we're screwed, because I don't know how you fix that and maintain the student part of being a student athlete.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to worry that the problem may be that offenses are just too complicated these days. It just takes way more time for film study and preparation than our guys can squeeze in between classes. On offense, we just do what we've done every game for years, but defense has to adjust every week. Otherwise, how can obviously bright and athletic guys just look completely lost out there? How can three DCs that have had success elsewhere fail so completely?

If that's the problem, we're screwed, because I don't know how you fix that and maintain the student part of being a student athlete.
I could see this being an issue if other schools didn't have to compete with this same issue but there are plenty of better D's that have this same thing going on. We need to play to our players strengths imo and we don't do that.

The problem is our defense doesn't even do the basics well.....namely tackling

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

I'm starting to wonder if our D actually watches any film. It appears they have no idea what the other team is gonna do. TIC but you catch my drift...