Ted Roof's job

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
We're paying 3 mil for an OC and saving money by not paying a head coach.
tumblr_inline_mn7npjRmJY1qz4rgp.gif

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Everyone claiming CPJ makes so much money he should take a pay cut you need to take a step back and look at how much he actually makes. CPJ is 39th on the list of coaches at public schools which means he's probably around #45ish in coach salaries.

I'd say we're usually in the top 50 of FBS teams so complaining we pay CPJ too much for our results is false.

I understand what you mean but I think that money is excessive for a glorified offensive coordinator. If he doesn't know what to do to fix the problems he doesn't need to be a head coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to worry that the problem may be that offenses are just too complicated these days. It just takes way more time for film study and preparation than our guys can squeeze in between classes. On offense, we just do what we've done every game for years, but defense has to adjust every week. Otherwise, how can obviously bright and athletic guys just look completely lost out there? How can three DCs that have had success elsewhere fail so completely?

If that's the problem, we're screwed, because I don't know how you fix that and maintain the student part of being a student athlete.
I think there is a lot of truth in this.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He's not taking a cut, he's negotiating for less at the outset.

On CPJ's defense, why should he have to finance Hewitt's firing? Because that's what he would be doing.

Now, if he wanted to renegotiate and lower his salary and then ... take a piece of gate receipts or concessions or whatever, that would be interesting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's not the worst either.

CPJ strikes me as a technocrat. Bring me the players and I will win. I believe him. At Auburn, he'd probably have won multiple NC's.

My school chair was S Peter Kezios. He said, "It's not important that you can solve a problem under ideal conditions. There are constraints. Budget, material, manpower. That's why you are an engineer. Figure it out subject to the constraints."

If a Todd shares that, I'll feel better.
That's fine and dandy when the guy you're competing against has the same constraints.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Everyone claiming CPJ makes so much money he should take a pay cut you need to take a step back and look at how much he actually makes. CPJ is 39th on the list of coaches at public schools which means he's probably around #45ish in coach salaries.

I'd say we're usually in the top 50 of FBS teams so complaining we pay CPJ too much for our results is false.
And if you combine the HC and OC together at other schools and compare it to CPJ's salary, he's even further down the list.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
He's not taking a cut, he's negotiating for less at the outset.

On CPJ's defense, why should he have to finance Hewitt's firing? Because that's what he would be doing.

Now, if he wanted to renegotiate and lower his salary and then ... take a piece of gate receipts or concessions or whatever, that would be interesting.

Read this article. I posted it previously. Look at the results of Dabo's actions. He was able to make a very strong hire by taking less personally.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/40610/swinney-gives-clemson-bang-for-the-buck

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's fine and dandy when the guy you're competing against has the same constraints.

Nobody has the same constraint, that's the point. One team is faster, one team is slower. Better athletes, facilities, etc.

You may not be able to run your offense the way you want because your kids have to take calculus. Ok, a constraint. Now Coach, what are you gonna do?

Maybe a poor example, but you get the idea.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I read it. Great move on his part. But he did that beforehand.

I'm not opposed to CPJ doing this, but why would he do it now?

He won't. He's at the end of his career. He's in it for the personal money at this point in his career. He knows he's at his personal peak. Dabo was smart. He sacrificed early to bring in the good coaches. I'm just showing that it can and has been done. Johnson is too damn hardheaded for his own good. That whole thing about there is no "I" in team? It doesn't apply to him at this point in his Tech tenure. If he wanted good coaches, he could get them. He's not willing to make the personal sacrifice though. It's just too convenient to blame everything on the Tech administration, GTAA, and alumni.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If he wanted good coaches, he could get them. He's not willing to make the personal sacrifice though. .....
And pay them with the money from .......... (I'm waiting,and all I hear are crickets). GT fans were all excited this week about how GT will get $1 million for soccer being played at BDS, but these same fans couldn't make a 6 hour drive to Chapel Hill for a game (for the record, I know some people had commitments or limitations, but others stopped watching the game from the comfort of their recliner early in the game so they could go shopping). During said game, UNC introduced one alum who was donating $10,000,000 (that's $10 million) to the Ram Club to benefit athletics. Some schools have the resources and the backing, others don't.

Also, give me a specific examples of him blaming everything on GTAA, alumni, admin and not taking personal responsibility. He may have made statements expressing some dissatisfaction with GT facilities needing improving, but tell me where he is wrong about that. Also for the record, if you can give me examples, then I will admit I am wrong.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I know this is going to be more of a CPJ rant than Roof, but for CPJ as a head coach not be able to fix these issues really worries me. It's been the same issues each press conference: Poor execution, poor tackling and We gotta coach them better. Same excuses since 2015. I've always liked watching his offense and seeing CPJ make adjustments when it isn't working and I miss the classic death marches. On the D side it worries me that he has not done more to fix the issue at hand.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
He won't. He's at the end of his career. He's in it for the personal money at this point in his career. He knows he's at his personal peak. Dabo was smart. He sacrificed early to bring in the good coaches. I'm just showing that it can and has been done. Johnson is too damn hardheaded for his own good. That whole thing about there is no "I" in team? It doesn't apply to him at this point in his Tech tenure. If he wanted good coaches, he could get them. He's not willing to make the personal sacrifice though. It's just too convenient to blame everything on the Tech administration, GTAA, and alumni.
I'd venture a guess that Clemson's assistants have a total salary twice that of GT's but I'm sure you knew that already.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
like who?
Army and navy for starters, but then you have Wisconsin, Nebraska, Boston college. All these teams run a pro style offense minus army and navy obviously, so how can they have a good scout team for when they are about to play a spread option team? That's basically what the other posters argument was as to why our offense hurts our D.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Army and navy for starters, but then you have Wisconsin, Nebraska, Boston college. All these teams run a pro style offense minus army and navy obviously, so how can they have a good scout team for when they are about to play a spread option team? That's basically what the other posters argument was as to why our offense hurts our D.
We're talking about different issues. I was talking about having no time or energy outside of practice due to academics. At most schools, guys have extra time to watch film or get in extra work because they don't have near the academic stress and strain. When our guys are writing papers, doing group projects, studying for tests, etc, their guys are getting in extra mental reps or watching film. Heck, if all they're doing is resting and relaxing, it's making them better on Saturday.