Ted Roof's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of really good points made here. But there's so much that's weak .. recruiting, development, tutoring, etc.

We should have talked about all this in 2007. We are in Year 9.

If it's not CPJs thing, maybe he needs a Dir of Football Operations to sort all of this out. Again, this is or should not be, Year 9 discussions.

Just my opinion.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
How so? Im not disagreeing with you. I'm just curious of your opinion.

We could replace him with CAM. Check his bio in wiki. Was never sure why he did not get the job the last time. CPJ goes to him in the sideline anyhow to complain. We need a different scheme and their some kids on the bench who should be playing ahead of others especially in passing situations. Our talent is not as bad as what is showing,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO We need to play one of the bigger back up safeties instead of mitchell. we need speed over the middle. Mitchell ends up in wrong side of pile

Agreed Kagawa played here last year some when CAM was coaching the linebackers. What happened with that? He can actually cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's face reality that PJ has never had a good defense in 9 years under several D coordinators. There needs to be continuity in recruiting defensive players which may have hurt us. Our relationships with HS coaches is very important and I am not sure what our relationships are overall in Georgia. PJ will have one more year to prove he is capable of coaching in the ACC with a relatively difficult schedule each year unless he decides to leave on his own after this season. I do not see any reason for improvement next year if things stay the same. Our offense will not be better based on the QB's I have seen so far in the program, and why would we expect significant improvement in defense based on our 9 year history under PJ. Next year could be even uglier than last year unless we develop a QB real fast. The lack of D under PJ will be his ulitmate downfall. His offense is capable of winning but D has been his downfall. Players quitting in midseason is not a good sign either.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So who would everyone like to have as a DC if roof was fired?

Glenn Spencer? Just so we have a name thrown out there, what the heck.

But replacing CTR will not solve anything. CPJ has made his imprint from day 1 with his O philosophy taking precedent over anything else. 4 DCs in 8 + years? He does not care / know how to hire one. How many ST coaches only to let them go?

How many OL coaches only to retain the one who should have been let go long ago?

CPJ has basically told many qualified recruits, ISMW, "we don't want you, don't need you" because you do not like this O. It takes precedence over the entire well being of our team. And he will not change, and it will continue to decimate the football team & recruiting on O, D, & ST.

CPJ only cares about the legacy of his O. Heck he answers, probably, at least half of his presser / post game questions with "IDK." Wish he would be honest and say "I don't care."

Ted may be a huge problem, but he is far from The Problem.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think it is less about him not caring and more about $$. We got Wommack because we couldn't afford ellis johnson who had agreed to be the DC. Wommack was hated by the players, and we got Groh who was being paid by UVA. When Groh left we got wanted Kelly, but he got paid more by FSU than we could offer.

We are forced to bottom fish because of insufficient funds.. Until that changes we got what you see.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the chances of Roof staying on in some sort of capacity to keep recruits are better than some may think. He is a Tech guy after all. After this season's results on the field, maybe he'll do the right thing for Tech. He's not going to step down on his own behalf, but if he's told he's being demoted or he's gone, I think the chances are at least 50/50.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually think the chances of Roof staying on in some sort of capacity to keep recruits are better than some may think. He is a Tech guy after all. After this season's results on the field, maybe he'll do the right thing for Tech. He's not going to step down on his own behalf, but if he's told he's being demoted or he's gone, I think the chances are at least 50/50.

I see this as a possible outcome. The only time I can recall a Tech man being fired is Pepper Rogers after the 1979 season. Factoring in the personal relationship between Stansbury and Roof, I have a hard time seeing Roof being fired.

If dollars to GTAA begin to slow, that will have a bigger impact on what happens with the coaching staff.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I wouldn't mind that for recruiting but he's 52 years old and I doubt we'd be able to pay him enough to just recruit. McCollum is probably just as good of a recruiter and I'd venture to say a better position coach. Our linebackers have taken a huge step backwards since transitioning from McCollum to Roof. Given the choice between the 2 I'd take McCollum who we can pay less to maintain head of recruiting. I really don't want any part of Roof coaching linebackers anyways.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind that for recruiting but he's 52 years old and I doubt we'd be able to pay him enough to just recruit. McCollum is probably just as good of a recruiter and I'd venture to say a better position coach. Our linebackers have taken a huge step backwards since transitioning from McCollum to Roof. Given the choice between the 2 I'd take McCollum who we can pay less to maintain head of recruiting. I really don't want any part of Roof coaching linebackers anyways.

Valid points. We'll see. I think we can all agree that we don't Roof head of the defense next year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I see Roof moving to a GTAA administrative position at the end of the year. He and Todd are friends and I know players from that team ... they say the same. To be defined.

Re CPJ ... I just listened to his recap and I'm pissed. He is the HC and he owns the results. Christ, he was a D.C., does he NOT have an opinion?

"We don't have depth, we didn't properly prepare, the kids didn't execute ..." - the whole thing came across as third person.

Frustrating. I'm actually glad Todd was hired. He played at Tech and can push back on Paul, "Dude. It can be done. Let me show you ..."

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Frustrating. I'm actually glad Todd was hired. He played at Tech and can push back on Paul, "Dude. It can be done. Let me show you ..."

I mean you're not wrong but Todd played at Tech 81-84.

1981 1-10
1982 6-5
Georgia Tech becomes eligible for ACC Title (joined in 1979)
1983 3-8 3-2 ACC/3rd
1984 6-4-1 2-2-1 ACC/5th

Not sure that's the best argument for "it can be done here"

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's not the worst either.

CPJ strikes me as a technocrat. Bring me the players and I will win. I believe him. At Auburn, he'd probably have won multiple NC's.

My school chair was S Peter Kezios. He said, "It's not important that you can solve a problem under ideal conditions. There are constraints. Budget, material, manpower. That's why you are an engineer. Figure it out subject to the constraints."

If a Todd shares that, I'll feel better.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Johnson makes a very nice salary in excess of 2.5 million a year. He could easily restructure his contract to free up more money for assistants if it was a priority for him.
I think it is less about him not caring and more about $$. We got Wommack because we couldn't afford ellis johnson who had agreed to be the DC. Wommack was hated by the players, and we got Groh who was being paid by UVA. When Groh left we got wanted Kelly, but he got paid more by FSU than we could offer.

We are forced to bottom fish because of insufficient funds.. Until that changes we got what you see.