Ted Roof's job

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
One more post then I promise I'm leaving this thread lol

But I want to speak on this for a second, and I'd like to know your opinion Buzz, also Monty and 33 (who have really been anti-Roof):

Last week when PJ was asked specifically about why our DB's play 8yds off on a 3rd and 4, or 10yds off on a 3rd and 7 he said, and I quote "That's the players decision themselves, as to what they are comfortable with. They have the autonomy to play closer or back in those situations". I thought that was extremely alarming coming from him. So he's well aware of it, and doesn't force the players to change, or better yet doesn't force Roof to force the players to change.

Thoughts?

I'll hang up and listen.
Wow. That's really interesting. I think that needs to change

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is our defense is not getting better. All the problems we have are known issues and we are doing the same thing over and over.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
IMO he don't have the right player in there period. Like someone said before maybe it's favoritism. Playing HIS Recruits!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

One more post then I promise I'm leaving this thread lol

But I want to speak on this for a second, and I'd like to know your opinion Buzz, also Monty and 33 (who have really been anti-Roof):

Last week when PJ was asked specifically about why our DB's play 8yds off on a 3rd and 4, or 10yds off on a 3rd and 7 he said, and I quote "That's the players decision themselves, as to what they are comfortable with. They have the autonomy to play closer or back in those situations". I thought that was extremely alarming coming from him. So he's well aware of it, and doesn't force the players to change, or better yet doesn't force Roof to force the players to change.

Thoughts?

I'll hang up and listen.
I don't think CPJ can force the players to change, but he sure should be able to force Roof to. If he has, Roof apparently hasn't learned. And if he hasn't, then he should

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
Wommack, Groh, Kelly, and Roof all have one thing in common, they work for a HC that hates focusing on defense. Paul Johnson rejects the idea that teams need balance to be successful. His signatures are an unbalanced offense and emphasis on offense. His signature statement after games is that GT can't miss its turns on offense and win. He knows they stink on defense; he really doesn't care. Even when the wins come more often that this year and last, GT hasn't stopped other teams, other teams have stopped themselves. He really doesn't care about defense and none of us should be surprised by the product on the field. #togetherweswarm

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't all on Roof. There is a reason our D has sucked for all of CPJ's seasons. Its the offensive scheme. While it might equalize us and give us a chance due to lack of offensive talent, this system affects the whole program. It affects recruiting on Defense, it affects practice on Defense. Players get better by practicing against better players. They improve with repetition on techniques. I know we practice against a scout team, but really how good are those players. We don't have a QB in our program that would be a BACK UP for anybody else in the conference. And our scout team are players recruited to run our offense. How can we expect to recruit defensive players when they know what they will face for 5 years in practice. Why would we expect to be good on D?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't in chat except for pooping in on my phone and I've had some time to unwind from a totally pathetic defensive "effort". For the last several games I've been focusing on the issues with the D that have been discussed here ad naseum. I will not address those issue individually but focus more on the systemic issues I see. There is talent on the D but it is sorely misused and now the players are an unorganized mass on the field. We saw the same thing leading up to the MTSU debacle. As I've said I am not and never have been a fire the coach kind of person until I see exactly what I saw today. In my opinion CTR has not and cannot identify a base scheme to work from other than a base 4-3 or a 4-2-5. There is zero scheming out of either sets and we constantly see blitzes tipped, blitzers running directly into blockers, soft cushions and the like. Both Brant and AJ were productive last years and now their hesitant, not playing with the abandon needed to be a playmaker. Our D line play patty cake with the O line and I can't remember the last time I saw a line stunt. Defense cannot be passive unless you have 11 4 and 5 star players that will consistently win their one on one battles. For whatever reason our defensive players are not playing at their athletic abilities. They're hesitant as if they are afraid to make a mistake. This all smacks of very poor coaching that falls directly in the lap of CTR. Coach Mac, Pelton and Speed all answer to CTR so they do as they're told by the boss on the D side of the ball. I watched Coach Mac's teams for years and know his Ds were solid year and year our. Coach Pelton has shown things in videos I've seen that impress me. Can't say a lot about the day to day with Coach Speed.

The reason I reference the MTSU game is that all the screw ups with Groh came to a head in that game. In my opinion the players had finally had enough and said to hell with it, we'll show our displeasure in such an obvious way that CPJ will have no option but to dismiss Groh. So many similarities from that game to this one that I wonder the same thing happened today.

As to whether or ntw the D would be better this year with CTR's dismissal? There is no concrete way to answer that other than to say it can't get worse and remember after Groh was dismissed Coach Kelly did have the D playing better the remainder of the year!

Jmonty71

Banned
There are far better options out there. I say we bring a young up and coming DC. Going with has beens doesn't work.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Fire PJ and we will hire the football version of Brian Gregory...and that's if we are lucky

Why? How do you know?

No faith in TStan?

I certainly have no faith in numb nuts Peterson.

Not saying you are wrong, most especially if so many GT fans keep kissing the asses of those hurting GT the most.