Ted Roof's job

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just like how we benefitted from that kicked interception that Nealy had against NC State. Goes in the books as an interception but it was more of being in the right place at the right time.

Somewhat. Turnovers are often a matter of luck, which is why they are so hard to predict with any reliability.

A better way to look at it is from the QBs perspective. In the Pitt game completion, our defender was stride for stride with the receiver when he noticed the ball was drastically underthrown. He then breaks off the receiver to make a play on the ball. Unfortunately, the ball bounces off his hands and is deflected directly to the receiver in stride. Had the throw been on the money, or within a foot or two of the receiver, I'd be more willing to assign the blame to a busted play on our D. As it is, it was not executed as designed by the offense, so it's hard to really pin that on the D. In the NCST game, the INT was flukey, but it came off what would have been a great play by the D anyways. The NCST QB made a great throw, but the D made a better defensive play. Similar to the OT INT in the uga game that year. Our CB jumped the route and made a great play.

Again, our D vs Pitt was horrible, but that single play wasn't a result of poor play by them. Sometimes you can do everything right and still have something go wrong.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Somewhat. Turnovers are often a matter of luck, which is why they are so hard to predict with any reliability.

A better way to look at it is from the QBs perspective. In the Pitt game completion, our defender was stride for stride with the receiver when he noticed the ball was drastically underthrown. He then breaks off the receiver to make a play on the ball. Unfortunately, the ball bounces off his hands and is deflected directly to the receiver in stride. Had the throw been on the money, or within a foot or two of the receiver, I'd be more willing to assign the blame to a busted play on our D. As it is, it was not executed as designed by the offense, so it's hard to really pin that on the D. In the NCST game, the INT was flukey, but it came off what would have been a great play by the D anyways. The NCST QB made a great throw, but the D made a better defensive play. Similar to the OT INT in the uga game that year. Our CB jumped the route and made a great play.

Again, our D vs Pitt was horrible, but that single play wasn't a result of poor play by them. Sometimes you can do everything right and still have something go wrong.

I was agreeing with you until you said turnovers are more a matter of luck. I think for plays like this sure. But not if the DB jumps in front of the route because he guesses right. That is more probability based on how the other offenses tendencies.

As for that play, the safety was back pedaling. The TE was actually splitting the safeties and because Griffin saw the throw he jumped it. No way you can run stride for stride like that and make that kind of break going towards the LOS on a ball that is thrown with any kind of velocity.

Also, The NCST QB threw behind (wrong shoulder) of the WR. If he threw in front it probably would have been a completion if not a TD. Only because he threw to the wrong shoulder did it allow Milton to make a break on it. But it still hit the WR and luckily bounced off Milton's leg for the INT. I just watched it again. It was not a very good throw. I've seen more tipped passes for completions this year than I've seen a ball getting kicked up for an INT.

We made many big plays this year on defense. Pitt we had a for sure pick six that was dropped. Sometimes that's just how it goes. I'm ok with just saving them all up for when we play VPISU :) Wouldn't mind a pick six or two....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was agreeing with you until you said turnovers are more a matter of luck.

I said the are OFTEN a matter of luck. You can't predict underthrown balls & deflections. You can't predict which way the fumble will bounce.

Now, there is obviously skill involved. When multiple players gang tackle a runner, one or two should be trying to strip the ball. Jumping a route is a combo of skill and intelligence. But relying on turnovers is a fools errand.

As for that play, the safety was back pedaling. The TE was actually splitting the safeties and because Griffin saw the throw he jumped it. No way you can run stride for stride like that and make that kind of break going towards the LOS on a ball that is thrown with any kind of velocity.

The safety was on him when the throw was released and broke for the ball. My point was had he not broke for the underthrown ball, that receiver is not open.

Also, The NCST QB threw behind (wrong shoulder) of the WR. If he threw in front it probably would have been a completion if not a TD. Only because he threw to the wrong shoulder did it allow Milton to make a break on it. But it still hit the WR and luckily bounced off Milton's leg for the INT. I just watched it again. It was not a very good throw. I've seen more tipped passes for completions this year than I've seen a ball getting kicked up for an INT.

Any time you hit the receiver in the hands, the ball is catchable. The throw might not have been perfect, but it's not in the same category as the underthrown ball by Pitt. The ensuing madness was almost all luck, though.

BTW, from rewatching the video, it looks as if we might have forced the underthrown ball. Anree Saint-Amour (I think, based on the jersey #) had just beat his block and was heading for the QB when he launches it. Maybe we had just enough pressure? (I was in China when the game was played, so I've only seen highlight clips.)

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
BTW, from rewatching the video, it looks as if we might have forced the underthrown ball. Anree Saint-Amour (I think, based on the jersey #) had just beat his block and was heading for the QB when he launches it. Maybe we had just enough pressure? (I was in China when the game was played, so I've only seen highlight clips.)

They probably were. Our DL has been doing a decent job at collapsing the pocket. We are just a step or two off from several more sacks. Haven't looked up any stats but it just feels that way.

Jmonty71

Banned
BTW, he wasn't behind the defender until the defender came up to make the play on the ball.
That is the base of good coaching. The defender effectively took a gamble. This is NOT something that should remotely be taught. As a person that played CB, the correct play is to make a play on the ball, while also enabling yourself to make a play on the WR. Over committing will lead to bad results. It's a gamble. 99/100? Not close. When there is nobody near the WR the 99% chance goes down rapidly It's more 33/33/33 33% INT 33% incomplete 33% a TD for the other team and 1% for something weird. IE; another DB or WR catching the ball. This was taught to us in high school. It was the CB being greedy and trying to make a pick 6. However; it does come down to execution. That lack of execution does and should fall on Roof. It's yet another part of the game that doesn't seem to be taught. Just like a lot of the other little things that aren't taught.

Again, talent issues are one thing. Things not being done and lining up in the same look over and over, isn't the lack of talents fault. You can mask blitzes, you can fake blitzes, you can line up different way in a 4-3 or 4-2, as some call it. I am merely saying that are way to look aggressive and yet play a zone. There are ways to show zone and blitz from it. That area of the game is what's missing, in my opinion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
GS played App St last night, 2 of 13 on 3rd down, 159 total yds in 55 plays (2.89 ypp).
3 pts in 13 drives, 0.24 ppd

Against us: 13 of 20, 335 in 83 (4.08 ypp).
24 pts in 8 drives, 3.00 ppd.

Jmonty71

Banned
GS played App St last night, 2 of 13 on 3rd down, 159 total yds in 55 plays (2.89 ypp).

They must be more talented than us. I mean, it can't possibly be the difference in an attacking D and a defense that just lets the other team do whatever.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
They must be more talented than us. I mean, it can't possibly be the difference in an attacking D and a defense that just lets the other team do whatever.

We must have a better defense than VPISU. We only gave up 6.6 ypp while they gave up 8.3 ypp. I can't explain why Gasou played so poorly last night but sometimes it comes down to execution. Could also be that they played their 3rd string QB. I'd be curious what our stats would look like with Marshall in at QB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
3 pts in 13 drives, 0.24 ppd

24 pts in 8 drives, 3.00 ppd.

Ouch.

Numbers that hurt my ego.
Wonder if app state played bend or played a mix of bend and aggressive.

Ouch.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We must have a better defense than VPISU. We only gave up 6.6 ypp while they gave up 8.3 ypp. I can't explain why Gasou played so poorly last night but sometimes it comes down to execution. Could also be that they played their 3rd string QB. I'd be curious what our stats would look like with Marshall in at QB.

anything over 6 ypp is so bad it almost doesn't matter. Its completely pathetic either way. What was VPISU PPD that game? Vs ours? that is really the stat that is matters most, YPP second I would say.

PPD will help normalize a bit with amount of drives etc...ypp is ok, but not the big story

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to puke this weekend does that change anyone's opinion here?

about what? Roof? not for me. I know who he is as a coach. Film don't lie.

But if we lose to duke, clearly largely it depends HOW; I think its WAY worse for CPJ...this is a must win for him

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
anything over 6 ypp is so bad it almost doesn't matter. Its completely pathetic either way. What was VPISU PPD that game? Vs ours? that is really the stat that is matters most, YPP second I would say.

PPD will help normalize a bit with amount of drives etc...ypp is ok, but not the big story

I was saying it sarcastically. All I was trying to point out is that the App st game vs ours is apples to oranges. Gasou was playing with their 3rd string QB. Comparing a game where they were down the point man in the offense would be very damaging to their run based offense. App st I'm sure loaded the box and made them throw it. Just like if Marshall was playing for right now for us. Every team would force us to throw it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This... QBs hurt make a difference.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I'm afraid if we lose tomorrow, you're gonna see a "Paul Johnson's Job" thread take over the top of the board.

If the offense does its job again like it has all season and we still lose this game then something needs to change, if CPJ can't get it done then for the first time ever I will question his leadership. The offense has done its job every game with the exception of Miami and I want to see us play a complete game against an inferior opponent

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

In 2015, we played most of the Miami game with our 3rd string QB, Matthew Jordan. In 2014 and 2016, our 1st string QB, JT played most of the game.
2014: 5.15 ypp
2015: 5.65 ypp
2016: 4.95 ypp

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
In 2015, we played most of the Miami game with our 3rd string QB, Matthew Jordan. In 2014 and 2016, our 1st string QB, JT played most of the game.
2014: 5.15 ypp
2015: 5.65 ypp
2016: 4.95 ypp

This could have nothing to do with Miami Defense could it?
But I will agree with you on the fact our offense let us down that game. Thats the only one they haven't done their job all year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was saying it sarcastically. All I was trying to point out is that the App st game vs ours is apples to oranges. Gasou was playing with their 3rd string QB. Comparing a game where they were down the point man in the offense would be very damaging to their run based offense. App st I'm sure loaded the box and made them throw it. Just like if Marshall was playing for right now for us. Every team would force us to throw it.
Gotcha