Ted Roof's job

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So I am confused a bit. This is Roofs 4th year...so aren't his recruits the guys on the field? Or am I missing something? Does he need 6-7 years for his recruits to be on the field at tech?

The austin twins, corey griffin, 2 of the 3 LB's, Step Durham, AJ Gray, Freeman, etc are all roof recruits....

so what am I missing?
We don't have any 5th year players on D recruited by Roof. Heck, the only 4th yr guy is PJ Davis. Remember, the '13 class was small on signing day (14) with only 5 defensive players. PJ is the only one of those 5 still on the team. Roof is playing with essentially 3, 2 and 1 yr guys. Imo, it's very tough to get a good read on his recruits and the job he's doing with them based on one 4th year guy and zero 5th year guys. A school like GT doesn't get the "oven ready" guys like the Clemsons and Alabamas. GT depends, and always has, on developing project type players to fill out it's defense. We grow our D. As illustrated above, Roof hasn't had the time or good fortune (mass attrition) to do that.

In addition, the last two classes and the current one looks very promising on D. I'd love to see how those guys pan out with the guy who recruited them before cutting him loose. I'd also hate it for the Swilling boys to jump ship because Roof is a big part of why they committed.

edit: Wow, just looked at that '13 class, Robbins, Akins and Commissiong would all be 4th year defensive linemen right now if they had stayed on the team.

https://georgiatech.rivals.com/commitments/football/2013

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
When he got here we had Euclid Cummings, Emmanuel Dieke, JA and Gotsis who all made the NFL. People complained about a lack of talent on DL in 2013 too.

59th in team sacks in 2013
119th in team sacks in 2016 (so far....it ain't over yet)

None of us can say "who is right" at this point in time. We can only judge if people are advancing a reasonable argument.

I feel like my argument's as reasonable as any others in this thread.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
59th in team sacks in 2013
119th in team sacks in 2016 (so far....it ain't over yet)

None of us can say "who is right" at this point in time. We can only judge if people are advancing a reasonable argument.

I feel like my argument's as reasonable as any others in this thread.

I think that is perfectly reasonable. We have not performed well in getting to the qb before he has thrown the ball. I think some of that is with our soft coverage. Only time will tell.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
It's true that you were only talking about the DL, but he's making a bigger point, iiuc. I think the point that you're missing is that we've had a lot more guys make it in some degree at the next level from D than from our O since 2013, and our D hasn't been nearly as efficient (except for when our O was pretty bad in 2015). I suspect, that we'll find some of the guys on our D roster now being next-level surprises too.

I understand and agree but all those players got 4 or 5 years in college before going to the NFL. Some of Roof'a players will be entering there 4th year next year. Let's see who makes the practice squads or actual rosters out of that group. I would like to see more draft picks. That would be a true sign of an increased talent level. I just don't have enough time to review how good or bad each group is. The most glaring in my mind has been the DL. I was a DL so I always watch them the closest.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Roof was hired on 9 January 2013.

2014 was first recruiting cycle (K-free, Simmons, Merriweather) r-so/tr-jr
2015 second cycle (Glanton, Cerge-H, Sellers, St Amour) r-fr/tr-so
2016 third cycle (Branch, Adams, C. Martin, J. Woods) tr-fr

Edited to add Whitehead was a desperation transfer in during 2014 due to not having any pass rushers. Obviously didn't work out but probably was worth trying.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Still way too much of a cushion given by the secondary on receivers. I would rather risk an interference call than to automatically give up a pass, often for long yards.

It's not like we're totally avoiding PI's anyways. I also would like to sign up for pressure rather than bend-and *er*-don't break defense. I'll trade a big play or two for the chance that we actually ya know, force a turnover maybe one time.

While you might say you'd be willing to do so, the reality is most people would then criticize CTR for failures in the secondary. It's not CTRs job to please the fans, but rather to put our team in the best position to win games. Bend-don't-break works. Lots of teams are willing to give up yards between the 30's and then tighten up as the field shortens. It might not be the scheme you or I would prefer, (I am not an overly huge fan myself), but for better or worse it's the scheme we're running. So while you might be willing to risk big plays, I can't blame CTR for not following that logic.

While you might say you'd be willing to do so, the reality is most people would then criticize CTR for failures in the secondary. It's not CTRs job to please the fans, but rather to put our team in the best position to win games. Bend-don't-break works. Lots of teams are willing to give up yards between the 30's and then tighten up as the field shortens. It might not be the scheme you or I would prefer, (I am not an overly huge fan myself), but for better or worse it's the scheme we're running. So while you might be willing to risk big plays, I can't blame CTR for not following that logic.
I just don't think there is really that much of a risk. Other teams cover receivers close and don't get called for PI; there's no reason why we can't too. There's probably just as much chance for an interception as there is for an interference call, if they play smart.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I just don't think there is really that much of a risk. Other teams cover receivers close and don't get called for PI; there's no reason why we can't too. There's probably just as much chance for an interception as there is for an interference call, if they play smart.

That's because the risk isn't getting called for a PI, but rather being burned for the long play/TD.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I don't need him to please me with his schemes. If the results were there, I wouldn't care what we run.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
SO? We're already getting burned on those long plays/TD's

That's the thing. The explosive plays (40+yd TD's and whatnot) are minimized, but the 12yd runs by slow-a** QB's to extend drives, the consecutive 8yd completions in front of 10yd cushion to extend drives and the converting 1st-and-25's are happening all game long.

Meanwhile, all the dink/dunk plays within the 30's are wearing our low-depth, minimal rotation defense out.

It's a mismatch. Fine. Play bend-don't-break but you at least have to play a deeper rotation which, admittedly, causes you to play guys who aren't 100% ready. But that's the bed you make. Lay in it. You can't run bend/don't break but over-work your starters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We don't have any 5th year players on D recruited by Roof. Heck, the only 4th yr guy is PJ Davis. Remember, the '13 class was small on signing day (14) with only 5 defensive players. PJ is the only one of those 5 still on the team. Roof is playing with essentially 3, 2 and 1 yr guys. Imo, it's very tough to get a good read on his recruits and the job he's doing with them based on one 4th year guy and zero 5th year guys. A school like GT doesn't get the "oven ready" guys like the Clemsons and Alabamas. GT depends, and always has, on developing project type players to fill out it's defense. We grow our D. As illustrated above, Roof hasn't had the time or good fortune (mass attrition) to do that.

In addition, the last two classes and the current one looks very promising on D. I'd love to see how those guys pan out with the guy who recruited them before cutting him loose. I'd also hate it for the Swilling boys to jump ship because Roof is a big part of why they committed.

edit: Wow, just looked at that '13 class, Robbins, Akins and Commissiong would all be 4th year defensive linemen right now if they had stayed on the team.

https://georgiatech.rivals.com/commitments/football/2013
Roof is doing better at getting guys that are almost ready to play, he finally did mix up the defensive techniques against gsu + he recruited the swillings = ok by me.

But he is not doing good.
He was recruiting at Penn state where he did a pretty good job as a dc. Did we get any kids he had need recruiting to ps? I don't think so.

In fact to quote above the DL class of 13 left after he and Pelton arrived. Is that to his credit?? That's not a good thing.

Pj was offered a ship very late - I think after someone flipped - yet he played a lot of minutes as a true fresh and the talent roof has been adding has not beaten out pj.

Roof is slowly improving the defense - that's it. Will he keep improving slowly, faster , or plateau, or regress.
?

Let's kick some duke and finish strong in 16. Then we can say the defense is ok and getting to a point where it is a major reason for victories.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've posted a lot on the negative side about Roof in this thread and others over the last couple of weeks. But, let me be clear about my position. I want Roof to do well. I literally bet on the improvement of our D (with some help from our O) at the beginning of the season. I agree with those who recognize that we suffered some significant attrition from that side of the ball over the last couple of years.

Based on the statistics that I look at, I think that we actually we showed moderate improvement for the first few weeks over last year. Last year, our opponents tended to out perform their average against us, and for the first few weeks it seemed like we were doing slightly better than their average performance. CU had not had a really big showing on O against an FBS opponent before our game.

However, Miami's O did better against us, and each team after that seemed to do even better. That's what's concerned me. We seem to becoming less efficient on D. Perhaps, it's all on the injury to PJ. Maybe, it's in Terrell Lewis not seeing the field as much. Maybe, it's a combination of things.

The bottom line, for me, is that I don't think we are bottom 30 in talent, even after attrition, and yet that's where are results seem to be (e.g. DFEI).

Roof is doing better at getting guys that are almost ready to play, he finally did mix up the defensive techniques against gsu + he recruited the swillings = ok by me.

But he is not doing good.
He was recruiting at Penn state where he did a pretty good job as a dc. Did we get any kids he had need recruiting to ps? I don't think so.

In fact to quote above the DL class of 13 left after he and Pelton arrived. Is that to his credit?? That's not a good thing.

Pj was offered a ship very late - I think after someone flipped - yet he played a lot of minutes as a true fresh and the talent roof has been adding has not beaten out pj.

Roof is slowly improving the defense - that's it. Will he keep improving slowly, faster , or plateau, or regress.
?

Let's kick some duke and finish strong in 16. Then we can say the defense is ok and getting to a point where it is a major reason for victories.
The 3 DL lost in the 13 class had nothing to do with coaches. Two flunked out and Comminssiong got kicked off the team for violationg the VGCSA. Those three players leaving were devastating. They were going to see serious playing time their RSFR yr. Two were lost after their RS year. Time and $ invested just wasted. Coaches weren't prepared to replace quick enough.

Jmonty71

Banned
I've posted a lot on the negative side about Roof in this thread and others over the last couple of weeks. But, let me be clear about my position. I want Roof to do well. I literally bet on the improvement of our D (with some help from our O) at the beginning of the season. I agree with those who recognize that we suffered some significant attrition from that side of the ball over the last couple of years.

Based on the statistics that I look at, I think that we actually we showed moderate improvement for the first few weeks over last year. Last year, our opponents tended to out perform their average against us, and for the first few weeks it seemed like we were doing slightly better than their average performance. CU had not had a really big showing on O against an FBS opponent before our game.

However, Miami's O did better against us, and each team after that seemed to do even better. That's what's concerned me. We seem to becoming less efficient on D. Perhaps, it's all on the injury to PJ. Maybe, it's in Terrell Lewis not seeing the field as much. Maybe, it's a combination of things.

The bottom line, for me, is that I don't think we are bottom 30 in talent, even after attrition, and yet that's where are results seem to be (e.g. DFEI).
This is the point I've made over and over. Yet, people seem to be ok with underachieving. Our offense plays a vital role in our defense. It controls the clock and limits the amount of touches the other team gets.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the point I've made over and over. Yet, people seem to be ok with underachieving. Our offense plays a vital role in our defense. It controls the clock and limits the amount of touches the other team gets.

I won't accept underachieving but I will be patient to allow young players to develop. If he is unable to fix some of the issues next year that we are facing especially given our inexperience in the secondary. I will expect CPJ to do some kind of change on the defense. At the same time, I look back at the 2012 class (which would be 5th yr seniors) and the 2013 (which would be 4th year seniors), those classes didn't have much on the defensive side. I take this year as a growing pains year. A lot of the 2014 and later classes are the players that are playing. 2014 was the first step and the 2015 class was about depth. The ACC has only gotten tougher and Roof was left nothing for the future. Sure he inherited several great players. But the misses of the 2012 and 2013 classes put us in a bind for last season and this season. I'm sorry but GT will never recruit on the same level as Clemson. A majority of our players need time to develop. Next year we only lsoe 3 players on defense and bring back all of our DBs.