Ted Roof's job

Jmonty71

Banned
Challenge to the replace Roof crowd: Name a good college defense that doesn't have disruptive players on the DL.

Good DL disrupt your offense. If not directly, then the offense has to expend too many blockers to handle them so that the LBs run wild.

Roof got here too late to affect the first recruiting cycle. He has since brought in the likes of Adams, Henderson, Glanton, St Amour, Woods, C Martin, et al. All good looking prospects. However, unless someone's a total animal DL takes development. Vance Walker played early but wasn't really an animal until his final year. Michael Johnson not a force at GT until his senior year. Daryl Richards played but not a force as tr-fr. Derrick Morgan was pretty good even as a tr-fr but he came in as already an animal. Those guys are hard to get.

When Venables got to Clemson their D wasn't all that great his first year, even with how Clemson recruits. Then got better. Then got lights out. Their DL now eats people. VT's DL eats people. When it came down to it, Pitt's DL--while not terrific--was better than ours. Good defenses have good DL's. Our DL IMO is at best middle-of-the pack and probably below average. This year K-free, Rook, & Gamble would play for a lot of teams but probably wouldn't start for the better defenses. Kallon would be situational at best. The other kids probably wouldn't play much.....maybe Simmons rotating in to spell a DE.

All this said, there are good DC's and bad DC's. It's just really hard for me to tell which Roof is right now because of where our DL is right now. To the it-will-always-be-this-way crowd I can't say that you are wrong. IMO it will be this way until we get a better, deeper DL. Here's hoping we begin to see that in the 2nd half of the season, but IMO we are still 1-2 years away.
Challenge accepted. Adam Braithwaite There's one for you. Don't you dare go laying blame on the players. A decent scheme would make it easier for them. However; in a 4-3. The DL should be eating blockers and blocking up the middle to allow the LBs free range to tackle. If you understood defense and the breakdown of each package, you would know it's not being ran properly. That is the #1 issue.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Look bra, ya need to chill. This was not even negative and it was not even to you. It was to Jmonty71. I guessing at this point YOU are the one not reading comments and whom they are intended towards.

I don't care how you feel about CTR. Good for ya. Your comments suggest you don't care for his defense.

In the messages that were between you and I, it was on the topic of you thinking CTR was not doing a good job and you don't like his / agree with his system. I get it. REALLY, more than you know, I get it. You're like the 1 billionth person to disagree with a coaches "system". I think you more angry with the results on the W column and your taking out your frustration on here. Just take a deep breath and relax. There is more to life than just football.
It's not like your comment was a reply to another comment, nor did you tag him in it. I read the whole comment and it was written right after another comment you sent me so I figured it was a mistake that you wrote two different comments, it's really not that big of a deal dude. And trust me I know there's more to life than football, I don't really meditate on a loss, I go on with my life. And trust me it's more than just the L's in the column, but it's really not a big deal we both have different opinions and there's nothing wrong with that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Challenge accepted. Adam Braithwaite There's one for you. Don't you dare go laying blame on the players. A decent scheme would make it easier for them. However; in a 4-3. The DL should be eating blockers and blocking up the middle to allow the LBs free range to tackle. If you understood defense and the breakdown of each package, you would know it's not being ran properly. That is the #1 issue.

Interesting. When is the last time an FCS DC made a successful transition to FBS P5 DC? Curious because I don't know the answer.

Jmonty71

Banned
Interesting. When is the last time an FCS DC made a successful transition to FBS P5 DC? Curious because I don't know the answer.
Bud Foster coached at Murray State as a LB coach and move to VT. Don Brown of Michigan.. DC at U of Mass before going to Boston College and then on to Michigan. Geoff Collins Forida Gators. DC at Florida Intl. Before going to Miss State as DC and on to Florida. Todd Orlando, Houston. DC at Utah State and Florida Intl, before becoming DC there.

The list really continues. Point is, there is talent at the FCS, just waiting to jump to the FBS level. Those gentlemen above all have top 10 defenses. We ALL know what Bud Foster has done through the years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bud Foster didn't transition to VT directly as a DC. He was a position at VT for 8 years before he was made DC. He also was never DC at Murray St.

UMass is FBS, not FCS, and Brown followed a more prototypical progression to big time DC.

Geoff Collins also followed a more prototypical path. FIU is FBS, not FCS.

Todd Orlando was DC at UConn and FIU, both FBS, before going to Utah State, also FBS.

No one you named jumped straight to P5 DC from an FCS DC position. I am not arguing there isn't talent at the FCS level, I just don't know how much precedent there is for FCS DCs to be successful at P5 programs without a lot of prior FBS experience.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I WANT to win the lottery. Does that mean I will? Threads don't hurt recruiting as much as clueless or bad coaches do. Wanting to win and knowing how to win are two separate things. It starts with knowing the strength and weakness of your team. It also takes a DC bright enough to know how to exploit the other team's weaknesses. We play the same D regardless of who we play.

Jmonty71 ....I choose not respond to you.....

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow

Uh.... we run a 4-2-5...... not a 4-3 different scheme totally but I don't know football like you

Jmonty71

Banned
Bud Foster didn't transition to VT directly as a DC. He was a position at VT for 8 years before he was made DC. He also was never DC at Murray St.

UMass is FBS, not FCS, and Brown followed a more prototypical progression to big time DC.

Geoff Collins also followed a more prototypical path. FIU is FBS, not FCS.

Todd Orlando was DC at UConn and FIU, both FBS, before going to Utah State, also FBS.

No one you named jumped straight to P5 DC from an FCS DC position. I am not arguing there isn't talent at the FCS level, I just don't know how much precedent there is for FCS DCs to be successful at P5 programs without a lot of prior FBS experience.
I think there is talent. I would personally, like to see a co-DC at GT. Many teams have this concept. Not sure if it's a money thing or if it's just a CPJ style of leading a team.

Jmonty71

Banned
Uh.... we run a 4-2-5...... not a 4-3 different scheme totally but I don't know football like you
It's a 4-3 that runs a nickle scheme. Again... a defense meant to shut down the west coast offenses in the 80s.
While I'm sure if we had the size and speed, our defense would work. However; the read and react is overly conservative and can be just as bad as an attacking style defense. Me? I rather attack and make the offense make a great play to beat me, than playing conservative and giving up a ton of yards and time. But, that's just the style I was taught, the style I played and the style I taught.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think there is talent. I would personally, like to see a co-DC at GT. Many teams have this concept. Not sure if it's a money thing or if it's just a CPJ style of leading a team.

Again, no one is arguing that. What I am asking for is an example of an FCS DC who made a direct transition to FBS P5 DC and was successful. I don't know of any, and none of the guys you named were FCS DCs that transitioned directly to P5 programs as a DC.

As for Co-DC, I don't know any DC worth his salt who would share that title. I don't know if I'd want a DC willing to share that title.

Jmonty71

Banned
Again, no one is arguing that. What I am asking for is an example of an FCS DC who made a direct transition to FBS P5 DC and was successful. I don't know of any, and none of the guys you named were FCS DCs that transitioned directly to P5 programs as a DC.

As for Co-DC, I don't know any DC worth his salt who would share that title. I don't know if I'd want a DC willing to share that title.
The people I named, I guess worked there way... ish to where they are. But, was done in a quick manner. Would be interesting to see, though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I like what west has done helping w ol

maybe we could work something along those lines. With Roof in booth andy mc Cullum has a crowd to coach up while offense is on field. Get a senior guy that's seen it all to help make in game adjustments as well as be extra eyes for issues you can't see well from booth???

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Err, show me how Adam Braithwaite is acheiving his results with DL who aren't disruptive. That's what the challenge was and you know it.

Also BS on your claim I am 'blaming' our players. They work hard and they are D-1 caliber guys. Anyone can see we do not win one-on-one battles on the DL as often as needed to be better on D. They'd probably be the first to say they need to get better. They are giving it their all and their efforts pay off at times, so one sees they are fighting to the death.

Experience, physical development, and talent levels are always changing on teams in college football. Denying that we are mediocre at best on the DL at this point in time is nuts.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, the Mocs don't have ANY disruptive DL:

The Mocs have as prolific a defensive end starting duo as there is in the country in preseason All-American Keionta Davis and fellow preseason All-SoCon Vantrel McMillan.

Source: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...03/five-utc-questions-practice-begins/379247/

Also 3 year starter in college at LB on nationally-ranked defense. But no, I dont know crap about football like the omniscient jmonty71.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Err, show me how Adam Braithwaite is acheiving his results with DL who aren't disruptive. That's what the challenge was and you know it.

Also BS on your claim I am 'blaming' our players. They work hard and they are D-1 caliber guys. Anyone can see we do not win one-on-one battles on the DL as often as needed to be better on D. They'd probably be the first to say they need to get better. They are giving it their all and their efforts pay off at times, so one sees they are fighting to the death.

Experience, physical development, and talent levels are always changing on teams in college football. Denying that we are mediocre at best on the DL at this point in time is nuts.

My problems with this line of argument are
(1) I don't know when they're being told to penetrate and when to control gap/gaps. Would you have sung the praises of Patrick Gamble before the Pitt game like their coach did or ask about Amp like the reporter?
(2) I don't know how much goes back to coaching and preparation.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My problems with this line of argument are
(1) I don't know when they're being told to penetrate and when to control gap/gaps. Would you have sung the praises of Patrick Gamble before the Pitt game like their coach did or ask about Amp like the reporter?
(2) I don't know how much goes back to coaching and preparation.

We are tied for 119th in team sacks.

I believe what my eyes tell me when I watch film. I see guys struggling to get off blocks. I see blitzes being picked up because OL's aren't worried about double-teaming our rushers. I see QBs with all kinds of time completing passes for first downs.

Pelton has produced NFL pass rushers in past coaching stops. It really could be that he's lost his ability to coach or motivate. It is not the most simple or direct explanation.

Football is a game of the trenches. Your QB will look like crap if the OL plays ineffectively. Your backers will look like crap if your DL isn't playing well. And your secondary looks like crap if you can't get a rush. And your DC looks like crap because nothing is working. It's hard to play well when another part of your unit is struggling.

Our DL recruiting struggles of the past are extremely well-documented. Tuitt, Dalvin Tomlinson, etc. Ironically the guy who is turning that trend around (Adams, Glanton, Cerge Henderson, St Amour, Woods) is getting roasted for recruiting misses when he wasn't here. I think it's dumb not to let the guy at least mature the talent he's bringing in. If the D is still bad then I will support canning him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our DL recruiting struggles of the past are extremely well-documented. Tuitt, Dalvin Tomlinson, etc. Ironically the guy who is turning that trend around (Adams, Glanton, Cerge Henderson, St Amour, Woods) is getting roasted for recruiting misses when he wasn't here. I think it's dumb not to let the guy at least mature the talent he's bringing in. If the D is still bad then I will support canning him.

This sums up how I currently feel about CTR. I'd like to see him get his guys in place before roasting him.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yeah, the Mocs don't have ANY disruptive DL:

The Mocs have as prolific a defensive end starting duo as there is in the country in preseason All-American Keionta Davis and fellow preseason All-SoCon Vantrel McMillan.

Source: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...03/five-utc-questions-practice-begins/379247/

Also 3 year starter in college at LB on nationally-ranked defense. But no, I dont know crap about football like the omniscient jmonty71.
Well, you can wait and see... I'll just sit back and watch it unfold. Do note... I WILL let everyone know how right, I am, when Roof fails over and over. Roof is NOT the answer. But, you St Roof lovers, just keep on drinking the Kool Aid. Just like Jim Jones... I think I'll stop posting on here. Here's a stat that really sums up our defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Ranked 100. But, keep on thinking how great Roof is. How long does he get passes?? 5 years, 10 years?? Whatever.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, you can wait and see... I'll just sit back and watch it unfold. Do note... I WILL let everyone know how right, I am, when Roof fails over and over. Roof is NOT the answer. But, you St Roof lovers, just keep on drinking the Kool Aid. Just like Jim Jones... I think I'll stop posting on here. Here's a stat that really sums up our defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Ranked 100. But, keep on thinking how great Roof is. How long does he get passes?? 5 years, 10 years?? Whatever.

Let me ask you...when Roof took over as the DC...which players did he have that are better than what he has recruited. Our DL talent and depth at the DL was really low. We had JA45 and Gotsis. Gamble was playing DE when he is more suited as a DT. We had no depth at the DL for 2014 and 2015. Tech very rarely gets a DL that is ready from the first day he steps on campus. Once our DL is filled with Jrs and Srs across the board similar to evenly matched teams (like Pitt), I'm more than willing to sit and wait for our players to develop. We even had to play young guys just do to the lack of depth when they need time in the program to get bigger and stronger. We face only really one more dynamic offense (UNC) and one that is hot and cold (VPISU). I'll wait to judge the stats after the season is complete. Our next recruiting class we have been going hard at bringing in talented secondary players.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you...when Roof took over as the DC...which players did he have that are better than what he has recruited. Our DL talent and depth at the DL was really low. We had JA45 and Gotsis. Gamble was playing DE when he is more suited as a DT. We had no depth at the DL for 2014 and 2015. Tech very rarely gets a DL that is ready from the first day he steps on campus. Once our DL is filled with Jrs and Srs across the board similar to evenly matched teams (like Pitt), I'm more than willing to sit and wait for our players to develop. We even had to play young guys just do to the lack of depth when they need time in the program to get bigger and stronger. We face only really one more dynamic offense (UNC) and one that is hot and cold (VPISU). I'll wait to judge the stats after the season is complete. Our next recruiting class we have been going hard at bringing in talented secondary players.

When he got here we had Euclid Cummings, Emmanuel Dieke, JA and Gotsis who all made the NFL. People complained about a lack of talent on DL in 2013 too.