Ted Roof's job

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Miami - VT game. VT looks pretty stout, especially their D. Miami doesn't have time to pass. That doesn't bode well for JT.

Jmonty71

Banned
Correction: We gave up 17 points. The O refs gave up 7 when we fumbled the ball at the goal line they failed to blow a whistle as the pile was being driven backwards and forward progress was stopped.

But I get your point. :D
Best reply ever!!! Well done AJ... Love it! Strike through and all...

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
do we think Ted Roof wants to win here at Tech?? YES... then I trust he is doing everything he can to make that happen, it easy to sit in the stands and say we should have done this or that....These threads just hurt recruiting...

Jmonty71

Banned
do we think Ted Roof wants to win here at Tech?? YES... then I trust he is doing everything he can to make that happen, it easy to sit in the stands and say we should have done this or that....These threads just hurt recruiting...
Well, I WANT to win the lottery. Does that mean I will? Threads don't hurt recruiting as much as clueless or bad coaches do. Wanting to win and knowing how to win are two separate things. It starts with knowing the strength and weakness of your team. It also takes a DC bright enough to know how to exploit the other team's weaknesses. We play the same D regardless of who we play.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I love what I just saw from VT they had all the LB's and DE's standing and at the los so the OL had no clue who was coming. I wish we did more "exotic" things like that. If you are able to watch the game, pay attention to all the different things VT does on deffense.

I mean, Foster's probably the best at what he does in the country. I think EVERY team would like to have him as their DC.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I mean, Foster's probably the best at what he does in the country. I think EVERY team would like to have him as their DC.

I think that this helps put the conversation into concrete terms. Bud Foster, and Don Brown whom Michigan hired away from BC this past year, are recognized as especial value-added for their programs, in scheme, play-calling, and getting the most from their players. Both of them got good results from their D in the ACC while their O's were under-performing.

So, those questioning Ted as DC right now are starting from the premise that those 2 guys could get better results from our current talent on D than Ted has. BC doesn't recruit better than Tech. VPI does a bit but not at the level of Bama and recently Clemson. Yet, they've gotten results on D that have been in the top 10, top 5 area of efficiency. These results are much like what CPJ has been able to do for Tech on the offensive side of the ball.

In other words, there's not a simple equation of talent and results as if all coaches and coordinators are equal. You can't just look at a lack of results and say it's just recruiting. (Of course, you can't say it's just coaching either, even coaches with proven success can have squads and games where execution is the problem).

I wish CPJ gave as clear of feedback on defense performance as he has with offense, in terms of explaining how much of our struggles stem from blown assignments, from just getting beat, or from being out schemed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting summary on how to transform football teams from mediocre to good and good to great. It's the playbook that several college coaches have used to create better programs. It goes something like this ...

1. Inheritance .... what players or talent do you have Now? Win with whatever you have and don't worry about the system you want to run. Winning breeds confidence.
  2. System vs. available talent ... what have you go to work with Today? You compete with the team you have today, not the team you hope to have. Figure out what you've got and start there. You'll have to make adjustments between what you want to run and realistically, the players you have.
  3. Culture ... do you have a culture of winning? Making big plays? Doing its job. Culture creates the right environment. Make sure players know what is expected.
  4. Infrastructure ... if you have players, have begun recruiting players, and have a culture of winning and executing, then you can work on upgrading locker rooms, practice facilities, etc.
Mack Brown summarized it this way ... Talent, Development, Scheme , and then - In-game coaching.

Have we migrated Defense in any way to other than what we started with?

A guy on 680 The Fan today said this ... Paul Johnson is going to run his offense. It costs him nothing to build the defense into a powerhouse. There's no conflict. So, just get on with it.

Thoughts?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
No, it's not just my opinion why do you keep ignoring the fact that we were outside the top 75 in D? I used those games as an EXAMPLE That's my case for saying we weren't good, if that's good to you then ok. But that's not cherry picking when I back it up with FACTS as to where we were ranked. Roof hasn't had a good D while at GT and it shows by our stats in ypp and the efficiency of other offenses, I'm going by stats not just my opinion so I have facts to back it up.
Lol. Agree to disagree

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Don't have a magic number just loyalty and not gonna bad mouth our coaches.
Where did I bad mouth one time? Please show me a comment? You agree to disagree with actually numbers/facts? I have said many time I like roof and think he's a good recruiter I just don't agree with his system as being good for GT and I haven't seen him build any D himself to be good so I don't see why it would happen at GT but if he can turn things around I would be perfectly fine with him coaching the D. Do you even read the full comments? It's like you disagree so much that you twist what I say to make it seem like you have a point that people hate roof when they really don't.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that this helps put the conversation into concrete terms. Bud Foster, and Don Brown whom Michigan hired away from BC this past year, are recognized as especial value-added for their programs, in scheme, play-calling, and getting the most from their players. Both of them got good results from their D in the ACC while their O's were under-performing.

So, those questioning Ted as DC right now are starting from the premise that those 2 guys could get better results from our current talent on D than Ted has. BC doesn't recruit better than Tech. VPI does a bit but not at the level of Bama and recently Clemson. Yet, they've gotten results on D that have been in the top 10, top 5 area of efficiency. These results are much like what CPJ has been able to do for Tech on the offensive side of the ball.

In other words, there's not a simple equation of talent and results as if all coaches and coordinators are equal. You can't just look at a lack of results and say it's just recruiting. (Of course, you can't say it's just coaching either, even coaches with proven success can have squads and games where execution is the problem).

I wish CPJ gave as clear of feedback on defense performance as he has with offense, in terms of explaining how much of our struggles stem from blown assignments, from just getting beat, or from being out schemed.

This 100 percent. Ted Roof is not capable of fielding a defense any different than he has the past 10 years. Or 15 years. Just look at the numbers. He has had only one defense in his whole career as a D coordinator that was ranked in the top 25.

Repeat that last sentence.

Let that sink in folks.

He is simply a DC that is mediocre. And we pay him a top 20 DC salary. Gt is stupid. Or paul.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Roof began his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Alabamain 1987, where he helped on defense before taking his first full-time position as thelinebackers coach at the University of West Georgia for the 1989 season.

After Steve Spurrier left Duke University in 1990, his successor, Barry Wilson, lured Roof to fill the position coaching outside linebackers on his staff. When Wilson and his staff were fired after the 1993 season, Roof left to serve as an assistant coach for the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Roof took his first job as defensive coordinator in 1997 at Western Carolina University, where he stayed one season before being lured away to join George O'Leary's staff at his alma mater. After spending the first season coaching the Yellow Jackets linebackers, Roof was promoted to defensive coordinator. He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run.

When O'Leary left for the University of Notre Dame, Roof left Georgia Tech to become the defensive coordinator at Duke for the 2002 season. Roof's instruction brought marked improvement to the Duke Blue Devils defense, which the ACC in rushing defense after finishing ninth in the league the previous year. From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense. They progressed in passing defense in the 2003 season, jumping to third-place in the ACC from ninth the previous year. When head coach Carl Franks was released midway through the 2003 season, Roof was promoted to interim head coach. The team finished the season by winning two of the last three games and Roof was subsequently hired as the 20th head coach at Duke on December 6, 2003. However, after winning only four games over the next four seasons,[2] he was fired on November 26, 2007, having compiled a 6–45 record. Despite the dismal record of Duke teams under Roof, his aggressive defenses consistently ranked in the top-30 nationally in tackles behind the line of scrimmage.[3][4]

Coach Roof's enthusiasm makes him successful. He has a passion for football. He lives, eats and sleeps football, and that rubs off on everyone around him (but no current playing field). Football is his first priority, but it goes deeper than that. He asks us our thoughts on the game plan, and then asks about our classes and families. It's a big thing when a coach cares about you and Coach Roof is so genuine. He really brought us together as a team. --Kenneth Stanford, 2004 Duke Co-Captain

The 2008 pre-season saw Roof in strong demand. While he had initially been hired on January 6, 2008 by the University of Louisville to work alongside Ron English and Ken Delgado on the defense,[5] it was reported on February 21, 2008 that Roof would succeed Everett Withers as the defensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota.[6] Under just one season of Roof's tutelage, the Gophers made tremendous improvements to give up 160 fewer passing yards per game and over 135 fewer total yards when compared to the previous year's 119th ranked defense. Besides the nation's worst total defense, Roof also inherited a squad which had ranked 115th in pass defense, 114th in rushing defense and 109th in scoring defense in 2007. Roof's defense made strides throughout the season and finished ranked in the top-25 in both sacks[7] and tackles for loss[8] after being ranked 103rd[9] and 116th[10] the previous season. Roof's defense created 31 turnovers, second most in the Big Ten and 11th nationally. They were seventh in the nation causing fumbles (16), fueling the team's 16th ranking in turnover margin. Overall, the scoring defense improved to 61st, rushing defense to 69th, total defense to 79th and pass defense to 93rd. This quick turn-around on defense contributed to the Golden Gophers improving their record from 1–11 to 7–6 and garnering an appearance in the 2008 Insight Bowl.

On January 6, 2009, Roof was hired as the defensive coordinator at Auburn University by first-year head coach Gene Chizik. Roof had just finished one season in a three-year contract at Minnesota reportedly worth $350,000 a year.[5] His salary at Auburn was $370,000. While at Auburn, Roof coached in two bowl games, with wins in both the 2010 Outback Bowl and the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

On December 8, 2011, Roof accepted the defensive coordinator position at the University of Central Florida.[11] The move came after Roof led Auburn's defense to one of the worst statistical seasons in the program's history. Auburn's defense finished the 2011 regular season 78th in the nation, allowing 405.8 yards per game. The previous yards-per-game high for an Auburn defense was 389.1 in 1979.[12]

Ted has played an important role in the success of our football program, helping Auburn win 29 games in three years, including a national championship last season. I'm very appreciative of the passion, energy and work ethic Ted brought to the program every day. I know that this will be a great opportunity for Ted to be reunited with his mentor in George O'Leary and we wish him and his family nothing but the best at UCF.[13]--Gene Chizik, Auburn Head Coach 2009-2012

On January 10, 2012, Roof was hired by new head coach Bill O'Brien as defensive coordinator at Penn State. Due to the Jerry Sanduskychild sex abuse scandal, on July 24, 2012 the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) sanctioned Penn State with a four-year postseason ban, loss of 40 scholarships over a four-year period and allowed players to transfer without having to sit out a year. Despite the difficult conditions of the program, Roof led the defense to rank second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense, led the league in sacks, ranked first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. Nationally, Penn State ranked tied for first in red-zone defense, 15th in sacks,[14] 16th in scoring defense,[15] 23rd in rushing defense, 28th in pass efficiency defense and 29th in total defense.

On January 9, 2013, Georgia Tech announced Roof was returning to his Alma Mater as Defensive Coordinator for the Yellow Jackets.[16]

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Roof began his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Alabamain 1987, where he helped on defense before taking his first full-time position as thelinebackers coach at the University of West Georgia for the 1989 season.

After Steve Spurrier left Duke University in 1990, his successor, Barry Wilson, lured Roof to fill the position coaching outside linebackers on his staff. When Wilson and his staff were fired after the 1993 season, Roof left to serve as an assistant coach for the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Roof took his first job as defensive coordinator in 1997 at Western Carolina University, where he stayed one season before being lured away to join George O'Leary's staff at his alma mater. After spending the first season coaching the Yellow Jackets linebackers, Roof was promoted to defensive coordinator. He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run.

When O'Leary left for the University of Notre Dame, Roof left Georgia Tech to become the defensive coordinator at Duke for the 2002 season. Roof's instruction brought marked improvement to the Duke Blue Devils defense, which the ACC in rushing defense after finishing ninth in the league the previous year. From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense. They progressed in passing defense in the 2003 season, jumping to third-place in the ACC from ninth the previous year. When head coach Carl Franks was released midway through the 2003 season, Roof was promoted to interim head coach. The team finished the season by winning two of the last three games and Roof was subsequently hired as the 20th head coach at Duke on December 6, 2003. However, after winning only four games over the next four seasons,[2] he was fired on November 26, 2007, having compiled a 6–45 record. Despite the dismal record of Duke teams under Roof, his aggressive defenses consistently ranked in the top-30 nationally in tackles behind the line of scrimmage.[3][4]

Coach Roof's enthusiasm makes him successful. He has a passion for football. He lives, eats and sleeps football, and that rubs off on everyone around him (but no current playing field). Football is his first priority, but it goes deeper than that. He asks us our thoughts on the game plan, and then asks about our classes and families. It's a big thing when a coach cares about you and Coach Roof is so genuine. He really brought us together as a team. --Kenneth Stanford, 2004 Duke Co-Captain

The 2008 pre-season saw Roof in strong demand. While he had initially been hired on January 6, 2008 by the University of Louisville to work alongside Ron English and Ken Delgado on the defense,[5] it was reported on February 21, 2008 that Roof would succeed Everett Withers as the defensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota.[6] Under just one season of Roof's tutelage, the Gophers made tremendous improvements to give up 160 fewer passing yards per game and over 135 fewer total yards when compared to the previous year's 119th ranked defense. Besides the nation's worst total defense, Roof also inherited a squad which had ranked 115th in pass defense, 114th in rushing defense and 109th in scoring defense in 2007. Roof's defense made strides throughout the season and finished ranked in the top-25 in both sacks[7] and tackles for loss[8] after being ranked 103rd[9] and 116th[10] the previous season. Roof's defense created 31 turnovers, second most in the Big Ten and 11th nationally. They were seventh in the nation causing fumbles (16), fueling the team's 16th ranking in turnover margin. Overall, the scoring defense improved to 61st, rushing defense to 69th, total defense to 79th and pass defense to 93rd. This quick turn-around on defense contributed to the Golden Gophers improving their record from 1–11 to 7–6 and garnering an appearance in the 2008 Insight Bowl.

On January 6, 2009, Roof was hired as the defensive coordinator at Auburn University by first-year head coach Gene Chizik. Roof had just finished one season in a three-year contract at Minnesota reportedly worth $350,000 a year.[5] His salary at Auburn was $370,000. While at Auburn, Roof coached in two bowl games, with wins in both the 2010 Outback Bowl and the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

On December 8, 2011, Roof accepted the defensive coordinator position at the University of Central Florida.[11] The move came after Roof led Auburn's defense to one of the worst statistical seasons in the program's history. Auburn's defense finished the 2011 regular season 78th in the nation, allowing 405.8 yards per game. The previous yards-per-game high for an Auburn defense was 389.1 in 1979.[12]

Ted has played an important role in the success of our football program, helping Auburn win 29 games in three years, including a national championship last season. I'm very appreciative of the passion, energy and work ethic Ted brought to the program every day. I know that this will be a great opportunity for Ted to be reunited with his mentor in George O'Leary and we wish him and his family nothing but the best at UCF.[13]--Gene Chizik, Auburn Head Coach 2009-2012

On January 10, 2012, Roof was hired by new head coach Bill O'Brien as defensive coordinator at Penn State. Due to the Jerry Sanduskychild sex abuse scandal, on July 24, 2012 the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) sanctioned Penn State with a four-year postseason ban, loss of 40 scholarships over a four-year period and allowed players to transfer without having to sit out a year. Despite the difficult conditions of the program, Roof led the defense to rank second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense, led the league in sacks, ranked first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. Nationally, Penn State ranked tied for first in red-zone defense, 15th in sacks,[14] 16th in scoring defense,[15] 23rd in rushing defense, 28th in pass efficiency defense and 29th in total defense.

On January 9, 2013, Georgia Tech announced Roof was returning to his Alma Mater as Defensive Coordinator for the Yellow Jackets.[16]
Thanks for info

When he inherited bad teams he made them better but then left.

When we return from athens , I think we will know if his defense can get teams off the field. He has earned my respect by improving defensive recruiting and at least last game he did mix it up a little. Let's be positive.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Challenge to the replace Roof crowd: Name a good college defense that doesn't have disruptive players on the DL.

Good DL disrupt your offense. If not directly, then the offense has to expend too many blockers to handle them so that the LBs run wild.

Roof got here too late to affect the first recruiting cycle. He has since brought in the likes of Adams, Henderson, Glanton, St Amour, Woods, C Martin, et al. All good looking prospects. However, unless someone's a total animal DL takes development. Vance Walker played early but wasn't really an animal until his final year. Michael Johnson not a force at GT until his senior year. Daryl Richards played but not a force as tr-fr. Derrick Morgan was pretty good even as a tr-fr but he came in as already an animal. Those guys are hard to get.

When Venables got to Clemson their D wasn't all that great his first year, even with how Clemson recruits. Then got better. Then got lights out. Their DL now eats people. VT's DL eats people. When it came down to it, Pitt's DL--while not terrific--was better than ours. Good defenses have good DL's. Our DL IMO is at best middle-of-the pack and probably below average. This year K-free, Rook, & Gamble would play for a lot of teams but probably wouldn't start for the better defenses. Kallon would be situational at best. The other kids probably wouldn't play much.....maybe Simmons rotating in to spell a DE.

All this said, there are good DC's and bad DC's. It's just really hard for me to tell which Roof is right now because of where our DL is right now. To the it-will-always-be-this-way crowd I can't say that you are wrong. IMO it will be this way until we get a better, deeper DL. Here's hoping we begin to see that in the 2nd half of the season, but IMO we are still 1-2 years away.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Where did I bad mouth one time? Please show me a comment? You agree to disagree with actually numbers/facts? I have said many time I like roof and think he's a good recruiter I just don't agree with his system as being good for GT and I haven't seen him build any D himself to be good so I don't see why it would happen at GT but if he can turn things around I would be perfectly fine with him coaching the D. Do you even read the full comments? It's like you disagree so much that you twist what I say to make it seem like you have a point that people hate roof when they really don't.
Look bra, ya need to chill. This was not even negative and it was not even to you. It was to Jmonty71. I guessing at this point YOU are the one not reading comments and whom they are intended towards.

I don't care how you feel about CTR. Good for ya. Your comments suggest you don't care for his defense.

In the messages that were between you and I, it was on the topic of you thinking CTR was not doing a good job and you don't like his / agree with his system. I get it. REALLY, more than you know, I get it. You're like the 1 billionth person to disagree with a coaches "system". I think you more angry with the results on the W column and your taking out your frustration on here. Just take a deep breath and relax. There is more to life than just football.