Ted Roof earns redemption!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
lmao, we scored on 4 out of 11 drives. 10 drives were 5 or less plays, and 1 of the scoring drives was a 3 and out that only got points because it started on the opponents 18 yard line. There were 6 drives the offense had of 5 or fewer plays that resulted in 0 points. So no, I'm not blaming them for scoring too quick. That was only 3 out of the 11 drives. It's the other 8 drives I'm blaming on them.
I get what you are saying but at the end of the game they weren't trying to do much imo, it was about running the clock out and we went conservative, that's 2 more drives we could just throw out the window if we are going to toss out other drives right? Like I said the offense didn't play that good but neither did the D. I will say this about the D though, they look to be playing more freely and running around better than what we have been seeing.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The D will be better next year. You can see the development of some key players like, Gray, Simmons and Griffin in the secondary. Mitchell will get better and we have plenty of spare linebackers to choose from to replace PJ. The defensive line will miss Gamble a bit but I think if Adams can get in shape along the Henderson and Glanton we can actually be better there in 2017. The main thing we need to work on is being aggressive and playing with more fire. Hopefully one of the boys will step up and ignite that in our D. It only takes a spark.

Go Jackets!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying but at the end of the game they weren't trying to do much imo, it was about running the clock out and we went conservative, that's 2 more drives we could just throw out the window if we are going to toss out other drives right? Like I said the offense didn't play that good but neither did the D.

What? The second to last drive was a 3 and out in a one score game with half a quarter left to play. Absolutely no way you can write that off as a time burning drive. The last drive started on the UVA 27. It didn't have the field to be a true time eating drive. Even if the last drive was about running out the clock, it failed, and allowed UVA to run another 9 plays and nearly 2 minutes of ToP, both meaningless because our D was in prevent D like it should have been, which you are trying to use against the defense.

The D held UVA to a TD under their conference average and was responsible for 10 points themselves. At the end of the game the D gave the ball to the offense on the 18 yard line with a chance to put the game away, and then did put the game away with the pick 6. Unless you expect the defense to literally never give up points, there isn't much more you can ask of them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
IMO seating there it looked like the defense was not playing that well. But after the game seeing the they run over 40 more plays I saw in from a Different view , turnovers or luck 17 points is not that bad.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What? The second to last drive was a 3 and out in a one score game with half a quarter left to play. Absolutely no way you can write that off as a time burning drive. The last drive started on the UVA 27. It didn't have the field to be a true time eating drive. Even if the last drive was about running out the clock, it failed, and allowed UVA to run another 9 plays and nearly 2 minutes of ToP, both meaningless because our D was in prevent D like it should have been, which you are trying to use against the defense.

The D held UVA to a TD under their conference average and was responsible for 10 points themselves. At the end of the game the D gave the ball to the offense on the 18 yard line with a chance to put the game away, and then did put the game away with the pick 6. Unless you expect the defense to literally never give up points, there isn't much more you can ask of them.
I didn't say it was a time burning drive, because they didn't burn much time, but that is what they were trying and they were conservative imo, but it honestly doesn't matter we just see it different ways, so no big deal.

You might want to take your own advise and think before you speak lol. The offense struggled in the first quarter, yes, but that's it really. In the second quarter we only had TWO drives not counting the last drive where we got the ball ran one play and went into the locker room I'll say it again TWO drives. Are you really going to complain about them scoring on 50 percent of their drives in the second quarter? And in the 4th quarter we only had THREE AND A HALF DRIVES. A field goal in the half drive and then two other drives where we went ultra conservative to try and run the clock down, like you should when your ahead late in a game. I'll wait for your response as to where the offense played like crap in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
I am thankful the offense scored the TD's when they did, but every scoring drive Tech had today was less than 2 minutes. Actually they were 1:35, 1:26, 1:38. Great to score TD's, but when the defense has to go back out w/ little time to rest. Depth and talent being issues, right, the quick scores are a double edge sword. The first, second, and fourth quarters the offense did a terrible job of execution. They put the defense in some tough positions and they came out smelling like roses to me. UVA did a great job between the 20's. Good for the stat book. Except the W and L one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We still sorely lack a good pass rush. D had a decent game and did some good things but tons of room for improvement. Starting at pressuring the QB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's what I find most frustrating about how we judge our D: The scale keeps moving. I've heard all year that if we could just get more TOs on D or do better on third down, then we'd be all right. We did both today. We held UVA to 7-17 on third down. We had two TOs. (Not counting the garbage time heave that ended the game) And yet here we are still griping about how bad our D is. So again, I ask, what is the benchmark we are looking for? We held UVA in check for most of the game. I am not sure that some of you guys even know how to be happy...

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's what I find most frustrating about how we judge our D: The scale keeps moving. I've heard all year that if we could just get more TOs on D or do better on third down, then we'd be all right. We did both today. We held UVA to 7-17 on third down. We had two TOs. (Not counting the garbage time heave that ended the game) And yet here we are still griping about how bad our D is. So again, I ask, what is the benchmark we are looking for? We held UVA in check for most of the game. I am not sure that some of you guys even know how to be happy...

Agreed. In fairness, let's start by acknowledging that we have struggles with defense.

However, our defensive points per drive was 1.3, we had two huge turnovers, and the defense put a touchdown on the board on their own. And, by the way, the defense was on the field more than 38 minutes.

I'll bet most teams in college football wished they had a defense that performed that well today.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As for me I'm happy anytime we win.
And yes the scale keeps moving for some people. For a few the defense will not be good till CTR is gone. Those people would not be happy if the defense had 6 turnovers they only gave up 7 points. Most of them would say we could not get a 3 and out if we didn't get lucky and have a few turnovers.
A couple of other will nerve be happy till CPJ is gone.
To those people I say we are 7-4 and going for 8-4
Oh and one more thing I would say to them:
th

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agreed. In fairness, let's start by acknowledging that we have struggles with defense.

However, our defensive points per drive was 1.3, we had two huge turnovers, and the defense put a touchdown on the board on their own. And, by the way, the defense was on the field more than 38 minutes.

I'll bet most teams in college football wished they had a defense that performed that well today.

I will agree that our defense has struggled. I just don't think it's as bad as some would like to paint it. And our O was bad today. Really bad for most of the game. Again, our explosiveness saved us, but that explosiveness also means the D gets no rest. Hoping to see continued improvement next week.

At various times during the game today, the O sucked, the D sucked, and the ST's sucked. Brad Stewart probably had his worst day as a Yellow Jacket. I still can't believe that he called for a fair catch on the 5 yard line. Either catch it and run (not usually a good decision in that situation) or let it go.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying and like I've said they are deffenitly looking better, but at the same time, we should be doing this to uva who isn't very good on offense, I mean they gave us those int's on bad throws when they had guys open. My point is if you do this on a good offense they probably score more, but I also know Deffense better than the average fan (not calling you that) so since I know Deffense well it aggravates me when I see a lot of things done bad that others might not see, maybe that's a default of mine that doesn't allow me to get excited about our D at times. Imo if a few things were different on our D I believe they could have even had a better game, so I guess that's what aggravates me. It's really not me trying to bash the D, but trying to understand why we don't do other things that imo could better the D, which would help when we play better offenses

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think your missing the point, you can play bad and still win.

No. I don't get how you can say that our D did what it should have done against UVA yet still had a bad outing. Yes, the QB threw some boneheaded balls that led to INTs. Our guys were still in position to make plays. We also had several three and outs. We defended a short field several times. And we did all of this with our offense not being able to run the clock for most of the game. Considering how long our D was on the field, I think they played extremely well today.

Again, I know that the last two weeks don't erase a season of disappointment, but they are at least indicative of a positive trend. Hopefully we can string together two more such games this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No. I don't get how you can say that our D did what it should have done against UVA yet still had a bad outing. Yes, the QB threw some boneheaded balls that led to INTs. Our guys were still in position to make plays. We also had several three and outs. We defended a short field several times. And we did all of this with our offense not being able to run the clock for most of the game. Considering how long our D was on the field, I think they played extremely well today.

Again, I know that the last two weeks don't erase a season of disappointment, but they are at least indicative of a positive trend. Hopefully we can string together two more such games this year.
I said they were looking better, but imo you can play a game not very good and still win. I did say it was awful and I went a little over by saying that because it wasn't, but I just feel as if there is a lot the D could do better and it's not on the players imo. I think there is a smaller gap in our differences than what you might think. I agree they did well enough to win, but I also believe a lot was given to us and so I can't just ignore that fact, because like I said when we play better teams I think the things we didn't do well will come back to hurt us, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. I also think a lot of my frustration isn't really at the players and how they preform but at the coaching because I don't think they are playing to the players strengths to make them the best they can be.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I said they were looking better, but imo you can play a game not very good and still win. I did say it was awful and I went a little over by saying that because it wasn't, but I just feel as if there is a lot the D could do better and it's not on the players imo. I think there is a smaller gap in our differences than what you might think. I agree they did well enough to win, but I also believe a lot was given to us and so I can't just ignore that fact, because like I said when we play better teams I think the things we didn't do well will come back to hurt us, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. I also think a lot of my frustration isn't really at the players and how they preform but at the coaching because I don't think they are playing to the players strengths to make them the best they can be.

I don't doubt that we have more in common than not, I just grow wearisome of the 'bash CTR regardless' posts. When the D plays well, the people who have an axe to grind with CTR refuse to give him any credit, but instead point out the offenses mistakes. (Ironically, we don't tend to trash an opponents D when we exposes them on offense) I have said all along I am not sure CTR was the best hire, but I want to give him time to prove me wrong or not, and fixing CAGs 3-4 debacle was always going to be a project that took some time.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I hve an axe to grind with CTR, but I will also give credit where it is due. The defense has played much better in the past two weeks. It wasn't dominant this week, but it was "good enough to win".

It got some stops. It scored a touchdown. It gave up 17 points. That's plenty good enough.

You guys get that performance all season, you're going to have a lot of W's.