Ted Roof earns redemption!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The last 2 drives seemed to be more conservative calling, the QB got confident/warm/hot, and GT did not pressure.

This always bugs the holy heck out of me. "Prevent" defense when your defense has been really good all day. Keep doing what got you there. If they drive down the field, they still take time off the clock. VT didn't hit a big play all game, and our front 7 was getting pressure on the QB. Pass coverage was pretty good as well. VT didn't have any choice but to pass the ball and we got to the QB pretty well all day.

Even if they ended up scoring quickly on a possession, or dinked and dunked their way to the endzone, our offense was choking them on possession all game.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
going to ask a question im not informed enough to answer.

was the improved D on saturday a case of roof playing his RECRUITS as opposed to using recuits left over from al groh?

i guess im wanting a sliver of hope from our performance saturday as in ' roof is recruiting better talent than al groh and they just need experience' ??? >>>> that is why we played better!

buehler? buehler? buehler?

Jmonty71

Banned

was the improved D on saturday a case of roof playing his RECRUITS as opposed to using recuits left over from al groh?

i guess im wanting a sliver of hope from our performance saturday as in ' roof is recruiting better talent than al groh and they just need experience' ??? >>>> that is why we played better!

I think it was more that we finally went into attack mode versus lay back and wait for them to punish us mode. Most the the team is filled with his recruits. One game, however; does not mean the defense is all fine and dandy. If Roof goes back to the timid, shy and scared to make a play style defense, expect UVA to be tough.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

No. It was same players that had been playing, and in fact, Rook and Kallon may have got more snaps than last few weeks.

From coach's comments, it seems that we played mostly base defense and the let the kids make plays in the first half.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The defense played pretty good vs. Virginia. Still too many third down conversions but kept the game under control until the offense could wake up. Good job Coach Roof.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 409 yards they were 7 of 17 on third down we were on the field for just under 39 minutes, which hurts the offense and keeps them cold, luckily it didn't hurt us today. If we played this way on D against a good offense we could have been in major trouble.

We gave up 409 yards they were 7 of 17 on third down we were on the field for just under 39 minutes, which hurts the offense and keeps them cold, luckily it didn't hurt us today. If we played this way on D against a good offense we could have been in major trouble.
The offense had 200 yds in the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter. The offense did nothing in the 4th quarter. 4th and 1 ring a bell? How many points did UVA score? They bailed out the offense wake up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

UVA had 12 real drives. 4 ended in punts. 1 on downs. 2 in INTs, resulting in 10 points for us. 2 in FGAs after starting in FG range. 7 of those drives ended in 5 plays or fewer. We held UVA to 6 under their conference average in points coming in and no it wasn't because our offense controlled the ball and limited possessions. Our offense only had one drive over 5 plays, and that one was 6. The defense was on the field so long because the offense couldn't put a drive together the entire game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
GT first quarter 18 yds
GT 2nd quarter 1 run 67 yds
GT 3rd quarter 200 plus yds
GT 4th quarter 3 yds
Which side of the ball had a bad game? Which side of the ball stepped up? Think before you speak!
You might want to take your own advise and think before you speak lol. The offense struggled in the first quarter, yes, but that's it really. In the second quarter we only had TWO drives not counting the last drive where we got the ball ran one play and went into the locker room I'll say it again TWO drives. Are you really going to complain about them scoring on 50 percent of their drives in the second quarter? And in the 4th quarter we only had THREE AND A HALF DRIVES. A field goal in the half drive and then two other drives where we went ultra conservative to try and run the clock down, like you should when your ahead late in a game. I'll wait for your response as to where the offense played like crap in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Milwaukee

Banned
UVA had 12 real drives. 4 ended in punts. 1 on downs. 2 in INTs, resulting in 10 points for us. 2 in FGAs after starting in FG range. 7 of those drives ended in 5 plays or fewer. We held UVA to 6 under their conference average in points coming in and no it wasn't because our offense controlled the ball and limited possessions. Our offense only had one drive over 5 plays, and that one was 6. The defense was on the field so long because the offense couldn't put a drive together the entire game.

Thank you for this post that actually makes sense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So it's the offenses fault they scored quick lol? We scored on 4 of 11 drives with an awful 1st quarter. I'm sorry but the D was not very good. I'm not saying the offense was either but imo they couldn't get in a rhythm when the D was on the field for long periods of time. I do however give the D credit for stepping up when we needed them to, but imo if they played this way against a good offense we would have been scored on a lot more, and the int's were pretty much gifts that were handed to us.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So it's the offenses fault they scored quick lol? We scored on 4 of 11 drives with an awful 1st quarter. I'm sorry but the D was not very good. I'm not saying the offense was either but imo they couldn't get in a rhythm when the D was on the field for long periods of time.

lmao, we scored on 4 out of 11 drives. 10 drives were 5 or less plays, and 1 of the scoring drives was a 3 and out that only got points because it started on the opponents 18 yard line. There were 6 drives the offense had of 5 or fewer plays that resulted in 0 points. So no, I'm not blaming them for scoring too quick. That was only 3 out of the 11 drives. It's the other 8 drives I'm blaming on them.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sitting at the game I saw a number of good things today. The one thing that continues to drive me absolutely nuts is the insistence of playing soft, catching instead of giving, grab a** prevent D. When Tech got aggressive we saw turnovers, TLF, sacks. You know all those good things on D. I see corners who can play press/close coverage. We go ball controlled to death in the 1st half and my feeling is that if the other team is capable of doing that when you run a vanilla D then it time to get aggressive! As I said I saw so very good individual efforts and, IMO, the pieces are there for a better than average D.