Ted Roof earns redemption!

You might want to take your own advise and think before you speak lol. The offense struggled in the first quarter, yes, but that's it really. In the second quarter we only had TWO drives not counting the last drive where we got the ball ran one play and went into the locker room I'll say it again TWO drives. Are you really going to complain about them scoring on 50 percent of their drives in the second quarter? And in the 4th quarter we only had THREE AND A HALF DRIVES. A field goal in the half drive and then two other drives where we went ultra conservative to try and run the clock down, like you should when your ahead late in a game. I'll wait for your response as to where the offense played like crap in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Please explain to me why the offense couldn't get anything going in the first, second, and fourth quarters? 3 scoring drives that were less than 5 minutes combined. After that ZERO from the offense. The defense isn't built to play close to a full 3 quarters. Depth and lack of play makers makes that hard. Did we win? Did uva run up and down the field between the 20's? Yes to both. I'll take it!

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Please explain to me why the offense couldn't get anything going in the first, second, and fourth quarters? 3 scoring drives that were less than 5 minutes combined. After that ZERO from the offense. The defense isn't built to play close to a full 3 quarters. Depth and lack of play makers makes that hard. Did we win? Did uva run up and down the field between the 20's? Yes to both. I'll take it!

I know you two are having a pissing contest right now and I'll let you go back to it after this. But the reason the offense exploded in the 3rd was because we finally decided to throw the ball. Bronco was going to stop the option come hell or high water and we needed to pass to get anything going. Kudos to The offense for execution and defense for keeping us in the game long enough for the offense to get their footing.... now back to your scheduled pissing contest.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know you two are having a pissing contest right now and I'll let you go back to it after this. But the reason the offense exploded in the 3rd was because we finally decided to throw the ball. Bronco was going to stop the option come hell or high water and we needed to pass to get anything going. Kudos to The offense for execution and defense for keeping us in the game long enough for the offense to get their footing.... now back to your scheduled pissing contest.

Stopping the run made all the sense for both teams since the wind was the 12th defender. But the O was epitomized for much of the day by the first "drive" of the day. Bad pitch fumble, short ground gain and bad pass.

We did what we had to in order to get the win. On to UGAg where hopefully their O will be as inept and generous as VT and UVa have been. Regardless, we have to get consistency on our O so we can sustain a drive.

I know you two are having a pissing contest right now and I'll let you go back to it after this. But the reason the offense exploded in the 3rd was because we finally decided to throw the ball. Bronco was going to stop the option come hell or high water and we needed to pass to get anything going. Kudos to The offense for execution and defense for keeping us in the game long enough for the offense to get their footing.... now back to your scheduled pinissing contest.
The 5 passes Justin completed opened up the running game? Yeah that was is it. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Yes. That's how it works. We don't have to be prolific, just efficient.
Tech had 3 HR plays in the third. That is all they were, HR plays. Outside of those plays the OL couldn't stop their DL. We had the same issues we've had all year. The biggest difference in the game from other games is that the defense actually had several 3 and outs and scored. The passing game was neither prolific or efficient. They blew their coverage and Lynch got open and by the Grace of God our OL blocked long enough to give Justin time to find him. Why is so hard for this board to say our Offense was flat out bad today and the Defense saved us?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have to disagree again here. UGA is terrible on the offensive side of the ball.

Their Oline has been woeful all year. They have a good young QB and some excellent tailbacks that are capable of making big plays. They are dangerous despite their struggles this year. Our Dline vs their Oline....we have to win that battle to get the W. Once again, turnovers may decide things. We have to move and protect the ball on offense.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree again here. UGA is terrible on the offensive side of the ball.

They have a decent QB and a decent TE, don't they? They'll move th ball on us...just as most everyone else has done. Only issue is whether they will make the fatal errors that our last two opponents have made.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Tech had 3 HR plays in the third. That is all they were, HR plays. Outside of those plays the OL couldn't stop their DL. We had the same issues we've had all year. The biggest difference in the game from other games is that the defense actually had several 3 and outs and scored. The passing game was neither prolific or efficient. They blew their coverage and Lynch got open and by the Grace of God our OL blocked long enough to give Justin time to find him. Why is so hard for this board to say our Offense was flat out bad today and the Defense saved us?

Two things. I do agree our offense wasn't very good against UVA. The D did, in my opinion, bail us out of several bad spots, including the missed 4th down deep in our own territory.

That being said, you are wrong about the passing game. The threat of the long ball keeps the opposing D honest, and keeps the extra S from staying in the box. Even incompletions can be helpful. Even though he dropped it, hitting a wide open Brad Stewart in stride lets the D know they need to ensure that doesn't happen again, and the S will then oull back out of the box, unclogging the running lanes. We weren't as efficient against UVA as we usually are, but our passes did help open up the lanes.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We didn't block.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Their Oline has been woeful all year. They have a good young QB and some excellent tailbacks that are capable of making big plays. They are dangerous despite their struggles this year. Our Dline vs their Oline....we have to win that battle to get the W. Once again, turnovers may decide things. We have to move and protect the ball on offense.

They have a decent QB and a decent TE, don't they? They'll move th ball on us...just as most everyone else has done. Only issue is whether they will make the fatal errors that our last two opponents have made.

If they move the ball on us that says way more about our terrible defense than it does their offense. They stink on offense. Absolutely terrible. There is no excuse to let them score 2 TDs. I don't believe they have a decent QB, as I have yet to see any real promising traits in him. I was worried when they got him but looks like UGA is still the QB killer school. TE and RB they are always deep but if you can stop those guys which is fairly easy then you can win. Nichols was toe to toe with them this year if we get beat there is nothing good to come from it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Are you really going to blame the offense in the second quarter? Of course they didn't get anything started, they didn't have a chance. They had a big play for a TD which didn't allow them to get rolling and then only had the ball ONE other time not including the time right before the half. I mean I understand you wanting them to score every drive, but is that realistic? think about that, they got stopped once in the 2nd quarter and your going to complain about that? I agree they looked bad in the first quarter, and somewhat in the fourth although I think they went ultra conservative trying to run down the clock. But let's not kid ourselfs the D didn't look good at times and had stuff handed to them just like the offense didn't look good at times. Like I said in another post I see things differently than most fans and that might be a fault of mine, but i see things that imo we should be doing on D and things we shouldn't and so I look ahead as if things don't change and we play a better offense then we could be in trouble.

Are you really going to blame the offense in the second quarter? Of course they didn't get anything started, they didn't have a chance. They had a big play for a TD which didn't allow them to get rolling and then only had the ball ONE other time not including the time right before the half. I mean I understand you wanting them to score every drive, but is that realistic? think about that, they got stopped once in the 2nd quarter and your going to complain about that? I agree they looked bad in the first quarter, and somewhat in the fourth although I think they went ultra conservative trying to run down the clock. But let's not kid ourselfs the D didn't look good at times and had stuff handed to them just like the offense didn't look good at times. Like I said in another post I see things differently than most fans and that might be a fault of mine, but i see things that imo we should be doing on D and things we shouldn't and so I look ahead as if things don't change and we play a better offense then we could be in trouble.
You are a perfect example of person sipping fine wine and ask someone for a pack of sugar to put in the wine to make it sweeter. You my sir are a troll.

No one is blaming the offense or expecting them to score every possession, but knowing how weak our defense is and the offense being our dominate side of the ball and UVA having a shaky defense like ours, you would think our OL could handle their DL. They could not. As we all know if the OL is struggling then our offense is going to struggle. Punting is not a bad thing but when we punt on 3 and outs it puts our d back on the field. I will ask this again, did we score more points than them? Did the defense directly have a hand in 10 of those points?

Yes I am.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No one is blaming the offense or expecting them to score every possession, but knowing how weak our defense is and the offense being our dominate side of the ball and UVA having a shaky defense like ours, you would think our OL could handle their DL. They could not. As we all know if the OL is struggling then our offense is going to struggle. Punting is not a bad thing but when we punt on 3 and outs it puts our d back on the field. I will ask this again, did we score more points than them? Did the defense directly have a hand in 10 of those points?
I agree but I don't think we can blame the offense for the second or third quarter. I just listened to the post game audio of cpj and he said after the first series it was like 7 or 8 minutes before our offense got the ball back. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about, when I say they didn't play that well. I honestly don't think the offense played very good but I think that about the D as well. And if you are going to say the D played well but not the offense can't I use your excuse and ask a question? Did we score more than them and the offense have 24 of those points? You can use it both ways.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Forget quarters, let's look at it a different way.

Drive 1: 3 Plays, 3 yds 1:36 Punt
Drive 2: 6 Plays, 15 yds 4:01 Punt
Drive 3: 3 Plays, 75 yds 1:35 TD
Drive 4: 4 Plays, 16 yds 1:39 Punt
Drive 5: 1 Play, 2 yds 0:42 End of Half
Drive 6: 4 Plays, 25 yds 2:37 Punt
Drive 7: 4 Plays, 9 yds 1:22 Downs
Drive 8: 3 Plays, 75 yds 1:26 TD
Drive 9: 3 Plays, 84 yds 1:38 TD
Drive 10: 4 Plays, -6 yds 1:44 FG
Drive 11: 3 Plays, 3 yds, 1:57 Punt
Drive 12: 4 Plays, 5 yds 0:59 Downs

We had 1 single drive that consisted of more than 4 plays, and it ended in a punt. Successful GT drives (4 total) consisted of 13 plays elapsing 6:23 of game time. I get that our offense was able to make those explosive plays happen, but more often than not, they weren't getting it done last Saturday. Take out drive 5 and we were successful on 36% of our possessions. Realistically, you could also discount drive 10. Our D held UVA to a stop on their end of the field and then proceeded to lose 6 yds before settling for a FG. So no, our offense wasn't particularly good for most of the game Saturday.

That being said, I am still a strong believer in our offensive system and the coaching staff. I just point this out because I think our consistent failure to eat clock against UVA was a detriment to our D, and in spite of that detriment, our D performed admirably.