Ted Roof earns redemption!

Still 437 yards allowed, but we did much better at taking advantage of mistakes. Hope we can stay opportunistic.
Why is there a still or but from anyone about what the defense today. VT had ZERO points at the half, scored on a short field to start the 2nd half and did nothing until we were up big and the d backed off to prevent the big and quick score. There or no if, and's or buts about the d today. They showed up big time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Actually, you want to go out on top, right? Getting fired after being embarrassed by GS, Duke and UNC would've been hard. But, now?

what? <crickets> what? <crickets>

:bag:
Lol, I don't get this thread at all, sure the D played way better than what we have been seeing, but redemption after 1 game? I'm sorry but the season is 12 games not just 1. But I will say they D most deffenitly showed up today and I liked it.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Why is there a still or but from anyone about what the defense today. VT had ZERO points at the half, scored on a short field to start the 2nd half and did nothing until we were up big and the d backed off to prevent the big and quick score. There or no if, and's or buts about the d today. They showed up big time.
Like Paul Johnson likes to say, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. Though you're right, they showed up well today and took out an overconfident opponent. I just took another look and it's 104 yards after the first half. 139 in the second up until we went up 30-7, at that point we put in our backups and they put up 177 yards on the last two drives. So minus the last two drives when the win was in the bag, we saw 243 yards. That's fantastic. That being said, they had a lot of self-inflicted wounds (e.g. interceptions fell into our players hands). I'm not trying to discredit the defense's performance (shutting down Bucky Hodges was unthinkable to me), but they were helped a bit by VT's errors. Just use this game to keep building and getting better.

Like Paul Johnson likes to say, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. Though you're right, they showed up well today and took out an overconfident opponent. I just took another look and it's 104 yards after the first half. 139 in the second up until we went up 30-7, at that point we put in our backups and they put up 177 yards on the last two drives. So minus the last two drives when the win was in the bag, we saw 243 yards. That's fantastic. That being said, they had a lot of self-inflicted wounds (e.g. interceptions fell into our players hands). I'm not trying to discredit the defense's performance (shutting down Bucky Hodges was unthinkable to me), but they were helped a bit by VT's errors. Just use this game to keep building and getting better.
This performance was as good as it seemed especially after last weeks game. The mistakes work both ways for both teams. We shot ourselves in the foot on offense several times today that would normally create the snowball effect on the other phases of the game that would lead to another loss. Today that did not happen. So yes the defensive performance today was as good as it looked on TV or in person. Paul Johnson says a lot things that I think are nonsense.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
This was the first power 5 game of the year where we played 'our' game as a team. O. held onto the ball on long drives with limited turnovers. Great S.T. and opportunistic defense that stressed the other team...the shots of the vt coach watching his team implode were great!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Still 437 yards allowed, but we did much better at taking advantage of mistakes. Hope we can stay opportunistic.

A lot of those yards came after we were up 30-7 and we were giving ground grudgingly to run the clock (smart strategy under the circumstances). Still that late defense looked a lot like the D the last three weeks and I had hoped that D had gone away.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of those yards came after we were up 30-7 and we were giving ground grudgingly to run the clock (smart strategy under the circumstances). Still that late defense looked a lot like the D the last three weeks and I had hoped that D had gone away.

It was playing like it because they were trying to keep everything in front of them and not let VPI get a quick score. The game was out of contention by the middle of the 4th.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Unbelievable. Last week when pressed PJ had no ideas for any kind of defensive changes. He just said "we have to play better. We have played better earlier in the year." I was thinking I might as well look up for flying pigs to think that defense could play better. I still have no idea how the same players looked so much better. The line in particular got pressure fairly regularly. We must have been covering well too, because sometimes when we got to the quarterback he had had time to throw it but must not have been able to find anybody open. After the game I heard him say we played base, but we played faster. Okay. Let's do that some more!

Curry was the only listed change on starters.Maybe he made a difference

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Curry did not play until the last couple of series on defense and on special teams. The linebackers that got the lion share of snaps were again PJ Davis and Brant Mitchell (10 tackles). We played nickle using the Austin twins most of the day. I think the players just finally got PO'ed and decided to play with some fire.

Go Jackets!

Milwaukee

Banned
Curry did not play until the last couple of series on defense and on special teams. The linebackers that got the lion share of snaps were again PJ Davis and Brant Mitchell (10 tackles). We played nickle using the Austin twins most of the day. I think the players just finally got PO'ed and decided to play with some fire.

Go Jackets!

This is correct, Curry didn't come in until late.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It was playing like it because they were trying to keep everything in front of them and not let VPI get a quick score. The game was out of contention by the middle of the 4th.

Agree completely. My point is unfortunately we had been playing that kind of D in other games under ordinary circumstances.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Great to see the defense play with some attitude this weekend but Roof only earns redemption when the defense is consistent from week to week.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I need to re-watch but I saw....

GT D brought enough to bring pressure. Even when there was not pressure the QB remembered the last pressure.

The DB did not start back peddling at the snap when they were already 15-20 yards back.

The defense knew where to be and where to go... better film review?

The last 2 drives seemed to be more conservative calling, the QB got confident/warm/hot, and GT did not pressure.