Tech vs Va postgame

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Some UVA perspective:

"Painful loss that I hope doesn't carry into next Friday. GT needed like 5 miracles to occur to win the game and they all did. Safety. Punt return for TD. Two 2-point conversions. One reception on the whole game, but it was a miracle lay-out blind catch for 37 yards on a 3rd and 6 on a drive that ultimately ended in a FG. Dubois was then in la la land when Perkins faked the spike. Should have been a game winning TD. Hell, their winning field goal hit the damn upright but bounced inward. Then there was the obvious missed false start against UVA that if had been called would have moved us back 5 yards and given us a clean second attempt to send the game to second round of overtime."

This one here made me laugh: "I still can’t get over the kicker damn near missing the end zone wide left with his attempt. If the posts were twice as wide he would’ve missed it"
They are lucky we didn't sack the QB on their fake spike to end the game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Any year that we manage to beat Virginia, UNC, Virginia Tech and most importantly Miami is an outstanding job by our players and coaches. It is only 7-4 but this team showed real character winning this game tonight. This is the kind of game that I remember watching Tech win regularly under Dodd: Defense, sound kicking, a special teams play here and there with a long drive or two and all of a sudden they beat Tennessee, Auburn, or UGA and the other fans are gripping about Dodd Luck and such. Incidentally, on the Virginia board their fans are in an uproar about what they considered poor play calling by the offensive coordinator in the fourth quarter. Personally, I think Perkins did the fake spike thing on his own and it was not a called play but perhaps it was. They also were complaining about not getting the ball on the left hash mark because their kicker struggles from the right one. Given how that kick went, they may have a point.

Sigh! Another correction. After the game, Bronco said that the fake spike was a called play. That may be true but it looked as though the main guy that needed to know was the wide receiver and he looked clueless. Of course, the Virginia board went into another round of frenzied criticism of the offensive coordinator whom most of them seem to blame for the loss. Like watching a south Georgia fire ant mound getting kicked over.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That's a push to call those "miracles". A punt return for TD, safety, diving catch, are good plays and not miracles. The FG hitting the upright barely clipped the inside post. A miracle would've been clipping the inside post and it bouncing back which I've seen before. We looked prepared for the fake spike so who knows what would've happened. None of these are any more a miracle than is missing a wise open sack that would've ended the game the final drive in the 4th (which isn't a miracle).

Maybe I'll give them the muffed punt.

The miracle is that one of them does not take a 9 iron after the offensive coordinator.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
What a finish....a few thoughts

1. Wesley Wells......I think we've got our kicker!
2. Juanyeh did a great job finding an alley after the safety. And made a good move to get into the endzone.
3. My head hurt as to why CPJ went for 2 the first time. I guess it was the right call?
4. That QB for UVA is a tough mama jamma. He was definitely hurt and they kept riding him (although not nearly as much)
5. Brant with the big play to get the safety.
6. Slightly concerned about the holes we have when in Cover 3. We seem to be protecting against the deep ball, but not really applying pressure either. Maybe we've been setting up UGA for a blitz fest?
7. I still can't believe that Brad Stewart catch. What a play on senior night! Channeling his inner Calvin.
8. Why start the Yellow Jacket cheer and then play music over it? Gimme a break!
9. Hate week has started.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

2. Juanyeh did a great job finding an alley after the safety. And made a good move to get into the endzone.
3. My head hurt as to why CPJ went for 2 the first time. I guess it was the right call?
4. That QB for UVA is a tough mama jamma. He was definitely hurt and they kept riding him (although not nearly as much)
6. Slightly concerned about the holes we have when in Cover 3. We seem to be protecting against the deep ball, but not really applying pressure either. Maybe we've been setting up UGA for a blitz fest?
7. I still can't believe that Brad Stewart catch. What a play on senior night! Channeling his inner Calvin.
8. Why start the Yellow Jacket cheer and then play music over it? Gimme a break!

One to add: That Harvin punt to the one worked out to be a ten-point play.

Animal02

Banned

The two point play was the right call. At that point it was 11-7. One point is meaningless. A UVA FG would still leave them trailing. A TD would put them ahead . With the 2 pr conversion, a TD by UVA ties without the conversion

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved the interview with Brad at the end - it was genuinely heart-warming stuff. There are definitely a lot of seniors on the team - including TaQuan, Anree, Johnson, etc. - who deserve credit for sticking with it when things got tough!
Do you know where this interview is posted? Love to see it

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow

I also didn't get why we went for two so early in the game. Glad things worked out but it easily could have come back to bite us had we missed it.