Tech vs Clemson, it's actually very easy to explain

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Anytime your BB puts up 120 and you only score 10 points something else is going on. Yes their DLine made plays but TQM had an off night with the reads. I’m not saying every play was his fault but you know how this offense works one good read can be 6 points in the blink of an eye.
You do realize half of that was on one run, right?

northgajacket

Banned
I am of two minds about this: On the one hand, I agree that they are "overrated feasting on inferior teams" but my eyes tell me that this is a team that has it going on all cylinders. UGA is talented and does not try to do anything fancy but let those 4 and 5 stars do what comes natural. They are really good this year much better than last year. That said, they are not national champions just yet. Florida is talented but hugely dysfunctional and about to fire its coach, Tennessee is about as bad, Vanderbilt? Please. Their win over Notre Dame is impressive. I am afraid they will do to us what Clemson did on defense and UGA is decidedly better than Clemson on offense. We will see.

It's easy to look good against inferior competition. It's like a High School baseball team facing little league teams. Some people on here need to get rid of their defeatist attitudes and quit listening to the sports radio programs.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not overly concerned with talent level. That has more to do with kids being ready to play year one out of high school as opposed to having to wait and develop and playing as Juniors and Seniors. I think our kids match up close enough to win most every game. However, it seems like anytime we have been in a lopsided game in the last 4 or so years, it's due to our offense not playing well. This falls solely on CPJ as it tends to be scheme related. Fumbles aside, our o-line splits can be an advantage to create distance and angles. However, you cannot successfully pass block nor can you consistently block attacking d-lines with this scheme. Hence, why most teams run the spread/option look from the shotgun. I will admit that there are a handful of teams with better talent than most right now, Bama and Clemson, so we need to win the rest. Let's not get to carried away with the lost to Clemson. We got out coached and lost. We should realistically be 6-1. THWG

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It has nothing to do with weather, nothing to do with scheme, nothing to do with but one, single solitary thing!

TALENT! Its just that simple.

When your entire D line, LBs and DBs are nationally ranked 4 and 5* players you are going to win 95% of the time. At Tech's best, when everything is clicking they can compete but otherwise Clemson is going to win much more often than not.

This, plus Venables does a great job getting his Def ready for us and calling plays against our Off. He seems to take a special joy in crushing us, kinda like Bud Foster.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Venables is completely selling out to stop the run and PJ can do absolutely nothing to stop it. The scheme that Venables is running is not new or confusing. What is confusing to me is how PJ refuses to adjust to do anything different. At this point he should install some new package just for Clemson. Playing the same way and getting beat the same way and then just chalking it up to better athletes isn't good enough.

Most likely outcome? Imo getting beat even worse with a different scheme. There just aren't any magic wands to fix getting physically beat in matchups.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why is the sky always falling after a ugly showing? I'm just chalking this up to a extremely off night for the "O".

Because the crybabies and ignorant Monday morning QBs can't stand a L. It gnaws at them and makes them afraid to go to work and face their mutt fan coworkers, friends, families, and associates,

Life is very unfair, they are sensitive and easily frightened and triggered. Please use compassion and sympathy when interacting with them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I do give Venables credit. He calls a good game and has his guys ready to go. It's just absurd to claim one coach is "schooling" another with scheme when there are definite disparities in talent they have available.
Exactly, let’s level the playing field and see what happens. Whenever we play teams that recruit on par with us, guess what happens?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It might help to change up the blocking schemes during the game sometime against these sort of super athletic teams. When you’re expecting a cut on defense you behave a little differently then you would a drive block. Seems like we could blow some guys off the ball at times if we’d switch it up instead of missing every block at the same time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Venables is completely selling out to stop the run and PJ can do absolutely nothing to stop it. The scheme that Venables is running is not new or confusing. What is confusing to me is how PJ refuses to adjust to do anything different. At this point he should install some new package just for Clemson. Playing the same way and getting beat the same way and then just chalking it up to better athletes isn't good enough.

plan to see it again when vt comes to town--its exactly how I would play us and mostly the same FOR YRS--because--WRs that can't get free, a QB with limited passing skills and an Offense scheme that allows little time for passing

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll take what PJ said in the press conference after the game. It started with the superior athletes on Clemson's defense. But we threw gas on the fire by how we reacted to their superior athletes. We lost our poise and started blowing our assignments. We would probably have lost anyway, but we might have been competitive if the players had done the things they were coached to do.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson would have improved execution, but they depend on 4 and 5 star talent. GT depends more on execution and less on talent. GT's bump in performance would have been more than Clemson's bump in performance in dry conditions. The game might have looked closer or even a win if GT played lights out and Clemson tried to roll it in...
Good grief, it's always if,if,if with some people. Hey, Tech got the crap beat out them, no contest !