Tech vs Clemson, it's actually very easy to explain

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wish we could schedule our bye during midterm week

Every team is allowed a few exceptions/requests. Doesn't mean the league takes them into account, but CPJ has said when schedules are made the league asks if they would to have certain things in advance. Maybe we need to push harder for a bye during midterms.

Animal02

Banned
Miami FSU
If I had George Soro's money, I would give about $20B to GTAA, and buy off the academic side. We would have a great team!
Seriously, Stansbury needs to get us out of this "play Clemson every year" scheduling situation. It makes our schedule the toughest in the league every year. Clemson, Bama , and Ugag need to form their own "no holes barred" league.
Miami FSU is another.....the ACC is crippling the top teams

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing that Clemson did tonight that others have not been able to do from a scheme standpoint is beat our backside cut blocks and then make the tackle. The backside cut blocks are hard to make for the olinemen given the defender has the angle but usually we get enough of the defender and are fast enough to outrun the backside. Not tonight.
There was no out scheme.

The team could not block the backside DT, and that was the biggest issue. There were many total misses on the backside DT.

There were several missed reads. You could say the DE out schemed GT by showing a BBack take but going for the QB. The team picked up big yards by giving to the BBack on a "BBack take fake".

GT could not pass block. The DL was doing so well, the DB had no pressure to play the run. There was no out scheme issue here either.

This was about rain and Jimmys and Joes. Rain hurts execution and highlights athletic ability.
I hear you on your comments and I am not disagreeing. I agree they beat us on the backside like I don't remember anybody doing and they also confused TQM on the mesh. What does make me wonder is that we seem to be able to have some offensive success against other 4/5 star talent in FSU/UGA and VT but not against Clemson. Is that because Clemson is so much better or is it because their scheme is better? I will listen but I think the latter has something to do with it. I also never quite understood last night why we did not run more midline. And I felt that way even before MJ came in. Surprised me that we didn't. If we had, TM might have been able to better read the DT - I think. But my main point is I do think Clemson has a better scheme on defense than everybody we play. It didn't rain last year and same results.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
uga is overrated feasting on inferior teams. They look better than they actually are.

I am of two minds about this: On the one hand, I agree that they are "overrated feasting on inferior teams" but my eyes tell me that this is a team that has it going on all cylinders. UGA is talented and does not try to do anything fancy but let those 4 and 5 stars do what comes natural. They are really good this year much better than last year. That said, they are not national champions just yet. Florida is talented but hugely dysfunctional and about to fire its coach, Tennessee is about as bad, Vanderbilt? Please. Their win over Notre Dame is impressive. I am afraid they will do to us what Clemson did on defense and UGA is decidedly better than Clemson on offense. We will see.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@1979jacket This years team is a better team in my opinion. I believe GT would have scored more had the field not been a swamp.

Clemson has the best DTs and the best DT depth. GT's O struggles when they are overpowered by DT.

Also, TQM got a little rattled (and understandably so due to missed blocks).

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys are so stubborn. It wasn't an off night for the offense. The results weren't there because Clemson's defense is THAT good and THAT fast. Give them some credit. We played fine on both sides of the ball.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys are so stubborn. It wasn't an off night for the offense. The results weren't there because Clemson's defense is THAT good and THAT fast. Give them some credit. We played fine on both sides of the ball.

Wouldn't go as far as to say we played fine on O but no doubt their D is THAT good

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't go as far as to say we played fine on O but no doubt their D is THAT good
Just not sure what you want. How is TaQuan Marshall supposed to get a pass off when their lightning quick, strong DL and LBs have penetrated our line as soon as the ball is snapped? There's a huge talent gap, if every one of our linemen had strong performances you wouldn't be able to tell because it'd be the same outcome. Options develop too slowly and they are too good at sticking to assignments.

I thought we needed more rocket tosses and quick developing runs to take their mind off assignment defense before we switched back to options, kinda like we did against Miami after the first drive. Of course it's easy to armchair coach that -- every rocket toss could have easily left us with a 2nd and 14 for all I know.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just not sure what you want. How is TaQuan Marshall supposed to get a pass off when their lightning quick, strong DL and LBs have penetrated our line as soon as the ball is snapped? There's a huge talent gap, if every one of our linemen had strong performances you wouldn't be able to tell because it'd be the same outcome. Options develop too slowly and they are too good at sticking to assignments.

I thought we needed more rocket tosses and quick developing runs to take their mind off assignment defense before we switched back to options, kinda like we did against Miami after the first drive. Of course it's easy to armchair coach that -- every rocket toss could have easily left us with a 2nd and 14 for all I know.

The way the corners were flying up and the inability of the A backs to get them on the ground basically doomed the outside plays. One stuck in my mind, early only a nicely timed pitch to JJ and Qua whiffed on his block causing the play to blow up. The lead A back HAS to get his block!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@1979jacket This years team is a better team in my opinion. I believe GT would have scored more had the field not been a swamp.

Clemson has the best DTs and the best DT depth. GT's O struggles when they are overpowered by DT.

Also, TQM got a little rattled (and understandably so due to missed blocks).
He got bent over backwards and tweaked his knee pretty good, too.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
“...when you execute.” Why, you figure, could we not execute?
Missed too many reads.
It’s not a talent thing. We can’t pull the excuse and say that we run the TO because of a lack of talent and then also say the TO doesn’t work because a lack of talent. The UGA games are close every year, Miami and VT are usually close games. Clemson just has our number. Our defense pretty much shut them down, they scored 7 off of a fumble. Of course they’re mlre talented but we specifically run an offense that can succeed with our talent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Missed too many reads.
It’s not a talent thing. We can’t pull the excuse and say that we run the TO because of a lack of talent and then also say the TO doesn’t work because a lack of talent. The UGA games are close every year, Miami and VT are usually close games. Clemson just has our number. Our defense pretty much shut them down, they scored 7 off of a fumble. Of course they’re mlre talented but we specifically run an offense that can succeed with our talent.
So when the DT charges in unblocked and tackles the qb as he's on the mesh that's a missed read? Ummmm, ok....

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
It's more than talent. You can still block guys that are more talented than you. You can still make the correct reads. You can still be more decisive when running the option.

Not saying we would've won but we played awful.
Sewak

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So when the DT charges in unblocked and tackles the qb as he's on the mesh that's a missed read? Ummmm, ok....
Anytime your BB puts up 120 and you only score 10 points something else is going on. Yes their DLine made plays but TQM had an off night with the reads. I’m not saying every play was his fault but you know how this offense works one good read can be 6 points in the blink of an eye.